[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Crusade against PC's Ltd. ripof

lopez@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (05/01/87)

Does PC's Ltd stand for PC's Limited of Austin Texas.

If it does then:

PC's Limited does have sales people who will say anything to
make a sale, but then so does every other sales office in
America.

If you have technical questions call up their technical support
for they are a smart bunch of guys.

My only complaints about their machine is that the fan makes too
much noise, and the 80286 chip doesn't have Intel on it.

But one should be warned about their 12mhz machines. Expansions boards
have to be able to run at 12mhz speeds (bus speed).
Thus you will have to fork out some extra bucks for fast memory boards that
have 100 ns or less RAM.

Make sure any modems you have can support the speed. Get it in writing.

Lastly, make sure you have all tve questions you ever want to ask them
written down before you call them. Get solid answers before you decide
on a purchase. Think about the responses they give you for a couple of days,
don't let them pressure you into a sale.

cliff@rlgvax.UUCP (Cliff Joslyn) (05/04/87)

I dealt with PCs Limitted two years ago about a disk unit, and was
extremely dissapointed with the quality of service.  The unit itself was
flawed when it arrived, and I was trying to get a replacement.  The
waiting time on my calls was excessive, their bureaucracy cumbersome and
unresponsive.  The replacement which came weeks later was also flawed.
I eventually returned the unit and refused to pay the bill.

--
O----------------------------------------------------------------------->
| Cliff Joslyn, Computer Consoles Inc., Reston, Virgnia, but my opinions.
| UUCP: ..!seismo!rlgvax!cliff
V All the world is biscuit shaped

evan@ndcheg.UUCP (05/05/87)

In article <434@rlgvax.UUCP>, cliff@rlgvax.UUCP (Cliff Joslyn) writes:
> I dealt with PCs Limitted two years ago about a disk unit, and was
> extremely dissapointed with the quality of service.  The unit itself was
> flawed when it arrived, and I was trying to get a replacement.  The
> waiting time on my calls was excessive, their bureaucracy cumbersome and
> unresponsive.  The replacement which came weeks later was also flawed.
> I eventually returned the unit and refused to pay the bill.

I have heard about problems with PC's Ltd concerning product quality
but it appears that a lot of these same complaints result from transactions
that occurred years ago.  In the past year and a half I've purchased two
of their XT turbo clones.  The first came with a 20MB Seagate which
has performed admirably despite heavy use.  The second had two floppy drives
and came with a mono monitor.  The monitor burned out after a few hours of
use.  A telephone call to PC's Ltd 800 number (used to be a toll call)
resulted in them taking back the monitor and shipping out a new one right away.
Both system units have worked perfectly all along.

I don't have any connection with PC's Ltd. but it looks like they've cleaned
up their act in the past two years.  As for telephone support, I've found
them much easier to deal with than a lot of mail-order houses.  I continue
to recommend their products.

  Evan Bauman
  University of Notre Dame
  ..!seismo!iuvax!ndmath!ndcheg!evan