[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Low Level Hard Disk Format

dalegass@dalcs.UUCP (05/01/87)

I've encountered a soft error on my hard disk, and I'm looking for some software
to perform a low-level format (also, I'd like to experiment with interleave).

I have a XEBEC controller (seagate HD); the controller only has 2k rom, so
I really don't think there's format software on-board.

Could anyone recommend any public domain software for permorming a low level
hard disk format?

Thanx,

dalegass@dalcs.uucp

chapman@fornax.uucp (John Chapman) (05/02/87)

> I've encountered a soft error on my hard disk, and I'm looking for some software
> to perform a low-level format (also, I'd like to experiment with interleave).
>
> I have a XEBEC controller (seagate HD); the controller only has 2k rom, so
> I really don't think there's format software on-board.
>
> Could anyone recommend any public domain software for permorming a low level
> hard disk format?
>
> Thanx,
>
> dalegass@dalcs.uucp

I got a copy of SpeedStor with my MiniScribe disk and it works well.
It includes a formatter along with comprehensive media analysis etc.
It also does the work of the DOS format and fdisk commands. My copy
was "special" in that it only supported MiniScribe drives (it was
free with the drive so I'm not complaining).  The usual version,
according to the manual, will handle any drive as you can specify
# heads, #cyls, etc. It retails in magazines for around $80 US.
Hope this helps.

{watmath,seismo,uw-beaver}!ubc-vision!fornax!sfulccr!chapman
                   or  ...!ubc-vision!sfucmpt!chapman

myers@andromeda.RUTGERS.EDU (Scott R Myers) (05/09/87)

In article <277@fornax.uucp> chapman@fornax.uucp (John Chapman) writes:
> I've encountered a soft error on my hard disk, and I'm looking for some software
> to perform a low-level format (also, I'd like to experiment with interleave).
>
> I have a XEBEC controller (seagate HD); the controller only has 2k rom, so
> I really don't think there's format software on-board.
>
> Could anyone recommend any public domain software for permorming a low level
> hard disk format?
>
> Thanx,
>
> dalegass@dalcs.uucp

IBM has a special diagnostics disk for technicians and it includes low level
formatting...  I've used it once to reformat a HD formatted by Novell Netware
and it worked fine...  I couldn't tell you how to get a copy though...  Also
It does some fair diagnostics of HD...

Scott R. Myers

myers@andromeda...myers@gold...srm@topaz...srm@remus >> .rutgers.edu