[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MSDOS 3.2 quiet batch ???

ees@vax135.UUCP (Gene Sampieri) (05/08/87)

In the past there was a patch cor command.com posted to make batch files
operate quietly in MSDOS 3.1.

Is there a known patch for MSDOS 3.2

Gene Sampieri
AT&T Bell Labs
Holmdel, N.J.
vax135!ees

tr@thumper.UUCP (05/09/87)

In article <1755@vax135.UUCP>, ees@vax135.UUCP writes:

> In the past there was a patch cor command.com posted to make batch files
> operate quietly in MSDOS 3.1.
>
> Is there a known patch for MSDOS 3.2
>
> Gene Sampieri

To turn echo off in PC-DOS version 3.2, type this into debug:

-e 1b2c
xxxx:1B2C  01.00
-w
Writing 5CEF bytes
-q

--
Tom Reingold
INTERNET:       tr@bellcore.bellcore.com

maartenj@cs.vu.nl (Maarten Jan Huisjes) (05/10/87)

In article <1754@vax135.UUCP> ees@vax135.UUCP (Gene Sampieri) writes:

>In the past there was a patch cor command.com posted to make batch files
>operate quietly in MSDOS 3.1.

Here are the patches for PC DOS 3.2 (Some of them will not work for MS DOS,
if somebody is interested a could get them for MS DOS (I hope))
I found them by looking at the patches for dos 3.1 and some session with
debug.

   AUTOMATIC INSTALLATION OF PRINTER FOR DOS PRINT

   DEBUG PRINT.COM
   -E 190d<cr>
   xxxx:190d   E8.90  D6.90  02.90<cr>
   -E 191F<cr>
   xxxx:191F   CD.90  21.00<cr>
   -W<cr>
   -Q<cr>

   If the printer port is LPT2 then the following address must ALSO be
   modified as follows:

   -E 11c2 4 "LPT2"

     PATCH FOR DEAFULT ECHO OFF IN BATCH FILES

   DEBUG COMMAND.COM
   -E 1B2C<cr>
   xxxx:1B2C   01.00<cr>
   -W<cr>
   -Q<cr>

     Note 1: The default for AUTOEXEC.BAT files will still be ECHO OFF.
     Note 2: If the last thing done in a .BAT file is to do ECHO ON, then
             you will get two prompts at exit.

   Patch for echo off in autoexec.bat (dos 3.2) :

   DEBUG COMMAND.COM
   -E 115E<cr>
   xxxx:115E   03.02<cr>
   -W<cr>
   -Q<cr>

   BLANK LINES FROM ECHO

   if you apply this patch you can use ECHO with two spaces to echo a blank
   line instead of the ECHO status

   DEBUG COMMAND.COM
   -E 3A88
   xxxx:3A88  E8.83  20.F9  00.02  74.72<cr>
   -W<cr>
   -Q<cr>

   If you want Echo to echo a blank line after only one instead of two spaces
   use this patch instead :

   DEBUG COMMAND.COM
   -E 3A88
   xxxx:3A88  E8.83  20.F9  00.01  74.72<cr>
   -W<cr>
   -Q<cr>
--

			Maarten Jan  Huisjes.  (maartenj@cs.vu.nl)
			{seismo|decvax|philabs}!mcvax!vu44!maartenj

apn@nonvon.UUCP (root) (05/10/87)

>> In the past there was a patch cor command.com posted to make batch files
>> operate quietly in MSDOS 3.1.
>> Is there a known patch for MSDOS 3.2
>
> To turn echo off in PC-DOS version 3.2, type this into debug:
>
> -e 1b2c
> xxxx:1B2C  01.00
> -w
> Writing 5CEF bytes
> -q

So.... the question remains:
what do you do for MS-DOS 3.2 ?

I have some official looking PC-DOS 3.1 patches... should I post ?
( again, note I have patches for PC not MS DOS )

Alex P Novickis

UUCP: {ihnp4,ames,qantel,sun,seismo,amdahl,lll-crg,pyramid}!ptsfa!nonvon!apn

{* Only those who attempt the absurd   ...   will achieve the impossible   *}
{* I think... I think it's in my basement... Let me go upstairs and check. *}
{*                                                      -escher            *}