[comp.sys.ibm.pc] increasing DOS stack size for MS-DOS v 3.2

alab@ur-tut.UUCP (Daniel F. Luna) (05/08/87)

In article <5931@shemp.UCLA.EDU> feldy@CS.UCLA.EDU (Bob Felderman) writes:
>Is it possible with DOS version 3.2 to increase the size of the DOS stack by
>adding a line to config.sys, or some such thing??

  Try adding STACKS=xxx in the config.sys file.  (Documented in Appendix of
   DOS Manual).

  Also, there is a patch available from IBM...

--
Daniel F. Luna
PC-Person.

maartenj@cs.vu.nl (Maarten Jan Huisjes) (05/10/87)

In article <1285@ur-tut.UUCP> alab@tut.cc.rochester.edu.UUCP (Daniel F. Luna) writes:
>In article <5931@shemp.UCLA.EDU> feldy@CS.UCLA.EDU (Bob Felderman) writes:
>>Is it possible with DOS version 3.2 to increase the size of the DOS stack by
>>adding a line to config.sys, or some such thing??
>>

>  Try adding STACKS=xxx in the config.sys file.  (Documented in Appendix of
>   DOS Manual).

The correct syntax (for PC DOS 3.21) is: STACKS=n,s
where n is the number of stack frames (default 9)
and s is the size in bytes of each frame (default 128)
--

			Maarten Jan  Huisjes.  (maartenj@cs.vu.nl)
			{seismo|decvax|philabs}!mcvax!vu44!maartenj

cjdb@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Charles Blair) (05/11/87)

In article <1285@ur-tut.UUCP> alab@tut.cc.rochester.edu.UUCP (Daniel F. Luna) writes:
>In article <5931@shemp.UCLA.EDU> feldy@CS.UCLA.EDU (Bob Felderman) writes:
>>Is it possible with DOS version 3.2 to increase the size of the DOS stack by
>>adding a line to config.sys, or some such thing??
>>

>  Try adding STACKS=xxx in the config.sys file.  (Documented in Appendix of
>   DOS Manual).

Are you sure? I thought that was a linker option (don't have the
manual for 3.2 handy, though).

I use STACK=<number><size> (no final "S" on "stack"). For example,
STACK=9,512.

This may be undocumented, but it doesn't return an "unknown command in
CONFIG.SYS" or some such message the way STACKS=xxx does (I'm running
IBM's PC-DOS 3.2).

>  Also, there is a patch available from IBM...

--
Bitnet:	  	 lib.cb@uchicago.bitnet
Internet:      lib.cb@chip.uchicago.edu