[comp.sys.ibm.pc] IBM-PC LAN Sharing printers with paper forms

KIM@diku.UUCP (Kim Rosenthal Hansen) (05/05/87)

I am the manager of a small network with the following configuration

             1 Compaq 286 as server and workstation
             2 Compaq Deskpro as workstations
             1 NEC p6 printer

Network cards is AST RSN with IBM PC Lan pack version 1.0

Our problem is that we are using the printer with 2 different paper
forms, and this gives us a lot of trouble as the users is shifting
between these forms.

Is there any way to convince the server that the printer actually is 2
different printers with different paper forms, and that only one of
these is online at any given time?

holst@diku.UUCP (Kim Rosenthal Hansen) (05/05/87)

I am sorry it was the first time I tried to post anything to the net and I
apperently got the header messed up.

Please reply to  holst@diku.UUCP
		 Kim Rosenthal Hansen

wb8foz@ncoast.UUCP (05/12/87)

> Article <3105@diku.UUCP> From: KIM@diku.UUCP (Kim Rosenthal Hansen)
# Our problem is that we are using the printer with 2 different paper
# forms, and this gives us a lot of trouble as the users is shifting
# between these forms.

AH HA
I knew this problem would at last come up elsewhere.
While PC Weak et al are reviewing all those great new
laser printers, they stay blissfully silent on the fact
that the all use only *one* kind of paper. Now if one
person runs his/her jobs on it, no problem. But, in
several of my client's offices, they want to run
a printer off a network spooler. How, praytell,
can they load:
		letterhead
		second page
		blank white
		and
		envelopes
and have the spoller run it all. I have located only one
laser printer with options for such use. I believe it
is the Dataproducts 1200 series. It would cost >$5k to
purchase, yet if I can judge by the rep's failure to return
my calls, it must be vaporware.
BTW, PC mag reviewed outboard paper shufflers. They cost
1.5x the printers!

Anybody have any good ideas?
--
decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!wb8foz OR ncoast!wb8foz@case.csnet
(ncoast!wb8foz%case.csnet@csnet-relay.ARPA)

haque@umn-cs.UUCP (Samudra E. Haque) (05/14/87)

In article <2502@ncoast.UUCP>, wb8foz@ncoast.UUCP (David Lesher) writes:
> > Article <3105@diku.UUCP> From: KIM@diku.UUCP (Kim Rosenthal Hansen)
> # Our problem is that we are using the printer with 2 different paper
> # forms, and this gives us a lot of trouble as the users is shifting
> # between these forms.

Interesting.. Here at the University of Minnesota, Mpls in the
Computer Science Dept, we are running

	14 IBM /AT , /XT286s		clients,expanded memory
	1  IBM /AT 			server with 2 x 30Mb disk
	1  IBM 3812 pageprinter 	networked, ascii, graphics
	PC-DOS 3.2(3)
	PC-LAN 1.1
	Network Login Program		Home-brew unix-like distributed
					login program
	SMTP				Home-brew Arpanet Mailer.

In any case, we have two paper trays in the 3812, and you can use them
in the same job if necessary. Note that the 3812 is not your generic
"laserwriter". It does look awfully close to a Photocopier (toner,
Dryer) and it is fast !! 12 pages per minute for Text, 8 ppm for
graphics. I am not sure what language it speaks.

				Hope this is interesting..
				Samudra E. Haque
				CSci Systems Group

				haque@umn-cs.arpa [128.101.224.1]
				haque@umn-cs-wkspe

{p.s. if you wish.. try our new mailer for the IBM network. our site
{name is either
{	umn-cs-wkspe 	or  wkspe.cs.umn.edu	or [128.101.234.1]
{
{We hope to be releasing this to the world some day.