[comp.sys.ibm.pc] putting a V30 in new PC's

coleman@sask.UUCP (04/21/87)

> Hmmm, I wonder if the 8086 could be replaced with a NEC V-30.  I
	Not likely. At the presentation from IBM that I went to
they seemed to be pushing their use of surface mount technology.
Because of this chips on the motherboard would be hard to replace.

--
Geoff Coleman                         | BITNET: Coleman@sask
College of Engineering                | UUCP: {utcsri,ihnp4}!sask!skul!geoff

chasm@killer.UUCP (Charles Marslett) (05/04/87)

The new IBM model 30 uses a standard _socketed_ 8086, so physically it
should be a piece of cake to replace it with a V30.  I've looked at some
of the ROM BIOS diagnostic code and it also looks like the V30 would not
be blasted out of the water for having a few extra instructions and running
a bit faster.  I haven't tried it, but I would like to hear from someone
who has. . . . Does it work?

yuan@uhccux.UUCP (05/15/87)

In article <843@killer.UUCP> chasm@killer.UUCP (Charles Marslett) writes:

>The new IBM model 30 uses a standard _socketed_ 8086, so physically it
>should be a piece of cake to replace it with a V30.  I've looked at some

     Maybe that's why IBM destignated it Model 30 (for being V-30
compatible/incompatible)?  I've tried NEC V-series chips on several
computers, and found that all of them work when the program is non-copy-
protected.  So the V-30 will run on the Model 30 when you're running
non-copy-protected programs.
--
UUCP: {ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!nosc!uhccux!yuan
ARPA: uhccux!yuan@nosc.MIL                        INTERNET: yuan@UHCC.HAWAII.EDU