[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Print Screen on AT with HP Laser Jet +

garym@genat.UUCP (Gary Mittleman) (05/14/87)

I am trying to do Print Screens on an IBM AT with an HP Laser Jet Printer
but am unable to print the extended character set used by the screen I
am trying to print. These characters include double line boxes, single line
boxes, and bar boxes.

Various screen print programs I have tried do not work as the HP does not
have this set. Does anybody know of a 'cheap' way of downloading the font for
both the normal character set as well as the extended set?

Does anybody know of a book that better explains how to download characters
than the HP manual?

Many thanks.

Gary S. Mittleman    Votek Systems Limited   (416) 477-7977

farren@hoptoad.UUCP (05/15/87)

In article <159@genat.UUCP> garym@genat.UUCP (Gary Mittleman) writes:

>I am trying to do Print Screens on an IBM AT with an HP Laser Jet Printer
>but am unable to print the extended character set used by the screen I
>am trying to print. These characters include double line boxes, single line
>boxes, and bar boxes.
>
>Various screen print programs I have tried do not work as the HP does not
>have this set. Does anybody know of a 'cheap' way of downloading the font for
>both the normal character set as well as the extended set?
>
>Does anybody know of a book that better explains how to download characters
>than the HP manual?

This is a problem, as the LaserJet doesn't allow downloading of characters
at all, as far as I know, and the LaserJet+ only allows you to download
an entire character set.  Maybe someone will do a downloadable font which
includes the IBM PC extended character set, but it would be a lot of work.
How about it, HP?  You seem to be the logical guys to take it on!

--
----------------
                 "... if the church put in half the time on covetousness

luse@cod.UUCP (Stephen A. Luse) (05/15/87)

> In article <159@genat.UUCP> garym@genat.UUCP (Gary Mittleman) writes:
> >
> >..... Print Screens on an IBM AT with an HP Laser Jet Printer
> >but am unable to print the extended character set used by the screen I

This is most likely *not* the cheapest solution, but HP makes
a cartridge for the LaserJet+ that contains the IBM character
set.  It is listed in their catalog as a 'U' cartridge.
We are ordering one, but haven't had a chance to test it's
usefulness.