[comp.sys.ibm.pc] DOS Pipes

dick@zaphod.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) (05/19/87)

Expires:

In article <746@edge.UUCP> doug@edge.UUCP (Doug Pardee) writes:
>In PC-DOS, pipes are implemented by writing the output of the first
>program into a temporary file on the current drive, and then giving
>that file to the next program as input.

A _long_ time ago I ran across a patch to PC-DOS 2.1 that allowed
you to change the default device that pipes were written to.  In
other words, I was able to change command.com so it wrote (and looked
for) its pipes on my ramdisk.  Needless to say, this really speeded
things up.

Ever since I have been keeping my eyes open for the equivalent patch
for PC-DOS 3.1, with 3.3 soon to be the object of my attention as
well.  Can anyone help me with locate these patches?  If so, I'll
post the good news for all!
--
Dick Flanagan, W6OLD
UUCP:  ...!ucbvax!sun!plx!dick