[comp.sys.ibm.pc] pc clone

lopez@uiucdcsp.UUCP (05/13/87)

>/* ---------- "Re: pc clone" ---------- */
>In article <1410@sfsup.UUCP> ndj@sfsup.UUCP (N.Justus) writes:
>>I'm looking to purchase a pc/xt clone.  I've looked in magazines and seen
>>the PC+ (by THE Ltd., advertised by PC network), the TURBO PC/XT, and other
>>systems.  They are VERY low priced (the PC+ is $469 w 640K, etc.).  What
>>I want to know is this:
"a joke"
>>--
>>Nathan Justus,  AT&T Information Systems, Summit NJ

They missed you in the layoff, I guess next time they won't be so stupid.

>>{allegra,amdahl,homxb,mtune,bellcore,ihnp4,princeton,ucbvax}!attunix!ndj

Are you dumb?
Do you read?

Look in this month's  AT&T FOCUS, page 22.
You will never find better prices for PC's of any kind.
And better yet they are AT&T PC's with monitors, keyboards, a quiet fan,
warranty, AT&T MS-DOS w/ GW-BASIC, and they even deliver Federal Express.

The AT&T 6300 PC comes with the 8086 processor running at 6Mhz.
The AT&T 6300 Plus comes with the 80286 processor and can run Un*x System V.

FML
"An American Dreamer"
AT&T Bell Laboratories, Autoplex, Naperville Illinois

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (05/15/87)

Actually, Lopez, if anybody is dumb, it's somebody who's so
narrow minded that they think the one ad with the lowest
prices they've seen has to be the best deal in the world.
I'll bet Dayton Hamvention prices were 20% lower than your
best ad.

			Mike Berger
			Center for Advanced Study
			University of Illinois

			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger

lopez@uiucdcsm.cs.uiuc.edu (05/19/87)

Where are Dayton's prices.

The prices were for employees only.

I will admit that even if they are the best prices,
the AT&T 6300 seems to have alot of people in this world
upset about compatiblity problems. (some of the flames I
received from MIT were pretty severe.) If anyone out there
has had problems, it would be nice to see them posted on
the network so that the world can be further educated.

However I have spent the last nine months reading every
computer magazine I could get my hands on to find the all
around best computer on the market in terms of price and
reliability. (and the prices I talked about even beat
those Korean boxes).

What I wanted was a machine that could run Un*x fast, had
a good hard disk, and a good color monitor.

The system I purchased was a:

		PC's Limited 12-286.

Right now if I had a couple of thousand sitting around,
I would probably buy the

		Compaq 12 Mhz computer.

And if I had some money in the bank earning low interest rates,
I would buy an IBM.

But the prices I found for the AT&T PC were soooooooooo low,
that I bought two, and if I could of bought a six-pack, I would of.

Now I am setting up a LAN in my bedroom so I can really do some
serious work, after I get two more phone lines put in,
and have figured out how to get them working together with all the great
computers at the University of Illinois, this world is going to be in
real trouble. (more trouble then I am in)

If anyone out there knows of where I can get up a cheap LAN,
I would appreciate some comments.
(but heck I'll probably build it myself)

FML
"An American Dreamer"

To the world, I apologize for my rudeness to Nathan, I had my reasons,
but there seem to be quite a few people who think I was wrong, so
just this time I will agree with everyone.

lopez@uiucdcsm.cs.uiuc.edu (05/19/87)

>/* Written  1:54 pm  May 15, 1987 by berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu in uiucdcsm:comp.sys.ibm.pc */
>Actually, Lopez, if anybody is dumb, it's somebody who's so
>narrow minded that they think the one ad with the lowest
>prices they've seen has to be the best deal in the world.

I agree.

>I'll bet Dayton Hamvention prices were 20% lower than your
>best ad.

(Send me the prices via e-mail, they had better be good)

Ding Dong!!!!!!!
Hello Berger, ...

I have read thousands of Ads in the last 9 months of researching the all
around best PC.  Yes, open market prices for the AT&T PC are well above the
wonder boxes you can buy from Japan, Korea, and Uncle Ben's kitchen.

For those of us who want to protect our investments over the long run,
buying a wonder box is cheap, and yes if the company survives and becomes
large (Leading Edge) our investment is protected, but more likely the company
will go belly up in a matter of time, and nobody wants a used PC that has
no company behind it, unless of course "Uncle Ben" has a nephew.

>			Mike Berger
>			Center for Advanced Study
>			University of Illinois

You know what, you are only a couple of hundred yards from where I am right now,
how about (as Clinger recommended) we all keep our personal flames off of
world wide networks.  This is definitely directed at only one person,
and has no backing: AT&T FOCUS isn't BYTE magazine.

>			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
>
>Actually, Berger, if anybody is dumb, it's somebody who's so
>narrow minded that they post a personal flame on a world-wide network, when
>they are only around the corner from them (literally).

But hey I deserved the comment for the first line of my response, not the
one you picked. (well, maybe that one too, and the one after it, ...)

>			{ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger
>
>/* End of text from uiucdcsm:comp.sys.ibm.pc */

FML
"An American Dreamer"