[comp.sys.ibm.pc] ibm monitor compatibility with att pc6300+

dd26#@andrew.cmu.edu (Douglas F. Dejulio) (05/04/87)

To: outnews#ext.nn.comp.sys.ibm.pc@andrew.cmu.edu

I have an AT&T PC 6300, not plus though.  I think the monitors for the 6300 &
6300+ are the same, and if this is the case you're out of luck.  I don't know
of any non-AT&T monitor that works with the AT&T machine.  I could be wrong
about that, but I *know* the IBM ones don't work.

-Doug, dd26@te, dd26@andrew, et cetera

rps@homxc.UUCP (R.SHARPLES) (05/12/87)

In article <4Uaz1Ay00V4FyGs09p@andrew.cmu.edu>, dd26#@andrew.cmu.edu.UUCP writes:
> I don't know
> of any non-AT&T monitor that works with the AT&T machine.  I could be wrong
> about that, but I *know* the IBM ones don't work.
>
> -Doug, dd26@te, dd26@andrew, et cetera

Taxan makes the 635 and 650 which are both AT&T compatible (6300, 6300+,
6310).  They imply that they sell a card that will even provide EGA
function in a 63XX system with a minimum of fuss.  This I am not so sure
about.

Russ Sharples

NOTE:

The above in NO WAY reflects the opinions of AT&T.
These opinions are my own and the results of un-scientific and
highly irregular analysis methods.

reza0@ihlpl.UUCP (05/17/87)

In article <4Uaz1Ay00V4FyGs09p@andrew.cmu.edu>, dd26#@andrew.cmu.edu.UUCP writes:

> I have an AT&T PC 6300, not plus though.  I think the monitors for the 6300 &
> 6300+ are the same, and if this is the case you're out of luck.  I don't know
> of any non-AT&T monitor that works with the AT&T machine.  I could be wrong
> about that, but I *know* the IBM ones don't work.

I have tried the AT&T 6300 with TAXAN 630, 640 and they both work very
well.  You do need the special AT&T cable which is available from
TAXAN and your friendly TAXAN dealer.  I have heard but not tried
that TAXAN 680 (i think that is the right number) works also.

Reza Zarafshar,
ihnp4!ihreza!reza0

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (05/19/87)

Re: the previous article about AT&T 6300 monitor comaptibility.

I have the Xerox version of the AT&T 6300 at home.  I'm using a
Taxan 640 monitor with it.  The monitor performs quite well,
providing much better than average convergence and color saturation
than most competitiors.  It *is* compatible with AT&T's 640*400
graphics and hi-res character displays.

I only have one complaint.  Taxan goofed when they made the AT&T
cable; they left out the shield ground wire.  At first, I was
having terrible trouble with the monitor picking up RF
interferrence which would cause it to loose sync.  Peculiarly, the
RF problems were mainly associated with 640*400 graphics.  My
computer worked just fine with it's original monochrome monitor.
I cured the RF pick-up by soldering a #18 AWG wire to the outside
of the DB-25 connector that plugs into the 6300.  I wound the wire
in a loose spiral around the monitor cable and soldered the other
end of the new wire to the shell of the DIN plug on the monitor's
end of the cable.  The above completely cured the problem.  The
"IBM compatible" cable provided with the monitor does indeed have
the necessary ground wire.

Looping the DIN end of the monitor cable once though a large
ferrite doughnut would also probably reduce RF pickup, but I
couldn't find a big enough doughnut in my junk box to try that
option.

  --Bill  (wtm@neoucom.UUCP   ...!cbatt!neoucom!wtm)