[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Anti-static

dave@micropen (David F. Carlson) (05/18/87)

There is a copper strap that apparently discharges the rotor
of a Seagate 4051 (and other Seagates I believe) to the case
of the drive.  The hassle is that this strap makes a loud
vibrating noise after several months.  Cleaning is a bear
and makes very little difference.  I have removed the strap
from one drive.  Has anyone remove the strap and had problems
or no problems?  Any insight appreciated.

--
David F. Carlson, Micropen, Inc.
...!{seismo}!rochester!ur-valhalla!micropen!dave

"The faster I go, the behinder I get." --Lewis Carroll

dick@zaphod.UUCP (05/19/87)

In article <347@micropen> dave@micropen (David F. Carlson) writes:
>There is a copper strap that apparently discharges the rotor
>of a Seagate 4051 (and other Seagates I believe) to the case
>of the drive.  The hassle is that this strap makes a loud
>vibrating noise after several months.  [...] I have removed the strap
>from one drive.  [...]

This is a very common problem.  Instead of removing the strap,
however, I would recommend you first try dampening the vibration
that is causing the noise.  A piece of foam, double-sided sticky
tape pushed against the strap will usually quiet them right down
without any ill effects.
--
Dick Flanagan, W6OLD
UUCP:  ...!ucbvax!sun!plx!dick

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (05/20/87)

I don't think that it would be a very good idea to remove the
static drain from your Seagate 4051 drive.  The plated coils on the
heads, if static jumps there, could be easily obliterated due to
their fineness.  A static discharge through the heads could also
wipe out the sense amplifier.

Usually, the ground strap whines due to resonance.  The usual cure
is to put a small piece of electrical black tape on the side of the
strap facing away from the spindle.  This should be enough to damp
out the annoying vibrations.  A carefully applied dab of silicone
bathtub sealer goo might be a useful substitute for the tape.

Bill Mayhew
Division of Basic Medical Sciences
Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine
Rootstown, OH  44272  USA    phone:  216-325-2511
(wtm@neoucom.UUCP   ...!cbatt!neoucom!wtm)

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (05/21/87)

:
:This is a very common problem.  Instead of removing the strap,
:however, I would recommend you first try dampening the vibration
:that is causing the noise.  A piece of foam, double-sided sticky
:tape pushed against the strap will usually quiet them right down
:without any ill effects.

I have a Microscience 10 MB half height that developed a noisy static
brush in early 1984.  I fought with it for a month or so, until I
dropped the drive one of the times I had removed it to adjust the brush.
Dropping the drive while it was running and shorting out the power
genrated a spat of bad blocks.  Enough.  I removed the brush (humidity
here is fairly high) and reformatted the drive.  It has not had a bad
sector since then, despite continuous 24 hour operation since then.

I also have a Seagate 4051 about a year old with no static brush noise.

The IBM PC/AT 20 MB disk drive never made any static brush noise, its one
redeeming virtue.  (It doesn't make *any* noise now, having gone the way
of its bretheren).