[comp.sys.ibm.pc] XT turbo problem

hong@garfield.UUCP (05/21/87)

This is posted for my friend who has XT turbo clone, but without a modem.
His clone has a problem that it will be hanged up after some minutes.
First, we suspect it is the problem of the BIOS and the MotherBoard.
But, when the keyboard which is replace with a Compaq Keyboard, the system works
fine. It is never working when using with any other keyboard.
And, we have tried to replace the ROMs to see if it is the cause. But, we never did succeed. Is anyone here has any suggestions for this problem?
Thanks in advance.

roper@chinet.UUCP (roper) (05/26/87)

In article <3659@garfield.UUCP> hong@garfield.UUCP writes:

>His (XT turbo) clone hangs up after some minutes.  When he replaces the
>keyboard with a Compaq keyboard it works fine, but not with any other
>keyboard.

I've had a similar problem on a true-blue (heavily modified, though) IBM-AT.
It started hanging up using a clone keyset.  When I put the IBM keyset back
on the machine, it worked fine.  I'm not sure if it was a timing problem, or
what, but a bad keyset can definitely hang up the computer.

How to tell the difference between a good keyset and a bad keyset is beyond
me.  (Although, for ATs (unfortunately, no help for you) the ability to
respond to the "keyrate" program from PC magazine that speeds up repeat keys
seems to be a good separator.)
--
Bill Roper, ihnp4!chinet!roper