[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Corruption on the net Re: ARC520

tes@whuts.UUCP (05/14/87)

In article <7572@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, rem@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Robert E. Mee) writes:

> I just recently tried to download ARC to my pc and it appears to be
> corrupted. The reason I say this is that the initial output from it
> is not uniform and the last line of the output sez that it couldn't
> find the "unpacker". Could someone please e-mail me a functioning
> uuencoded copy of this?
I hope you are refering to the copy I put up on comp.sources.misc
(with the moderator's approval, I hope).  From my mail, I believe
that that copy was:
  a.  corrupted by an anti-social mailer, or
  b.  corrupted by a bad uuencode, or
  c.  corrupted by my inept use of uuencode
I am reluctant to put anything on the net until this is resolved.

However, another person also put ARC520.COM on THIS newsgroup at
the same time.  Go back and get it.

Or...
You can keep up to date the way I do,  call a competent BBS.
My favorite is VOR FIDO 125/4 (415) 994-2944, run by the
friendliest wizard I have ever known, Dave Buerg, the creator
of many exciting shareware programs such as "list".
(very busy for excellent reason, use an autodialer).

NOTE: To those who have mailed me on this and have not received an
answer....sorry, but I really did send you a response.  Ever since
the foolishness about the "domains" and the renaming exercise of
newsgroups, little that I do seems to work.  I use the same command
files, I wash every day, brush my teeth....  Attempts to get a
response from the "cabal" have fallen on deaf ears. I must assume
that THEY have no problems, just peons like me.  (I guess that was
a flame).
--
  -----                    Terry Sterkel
-====----              AT&T Bell Laboratories

jvc@mirror.UUCP (05/14/87)

/* Written  5:55 pm  May 13, 1987 by tes@whuts.UUCP in comp.sys.ibm.pc */

tes@whuts writes
>... .  From my mail, I believe that that copy was:
>  a.  corrupted ...
>I am reluctant to put anything on the net until this is resolved.>
>
>However, another person also put ARC520.COM on THIS newsgroup at
>the same time.  Go back and get it.

The copy of ARC520.COM was put in THIS newsgroup long before you
posted it to comp.souces.misc.  Your confusing ARC with PKARC.

However, it was well known that a mailer somewhere deleted some
trailing spaces from some of the lines.  Some body posted the sources
to a program which would correct this problem for the ARC posting
and any other postings that suffer this affliction.  Download it and
save it somewhere.  I'll try to get it posted to comp.sources.misc
if it's not already there.

jvc@mirror.TMC.COM

jvc@mirror.UUCP (05/15/87)

/* Written  7:52 am  May 15, 1987 by jvc@mirror.UUCP in comp.sys.ibm.pc */
>I too tried to download the ARC program and experienced the same errors.
>It appears that the program is corrupt on both coasts.  Could we see a
>reposting?
>-- Scott

A reposting won't help unless the mailer that caused the problem  (removing
trailing  spaces  from lines) is fixed.  There was a program posted (source
~20 lines) that would fix ARC and any other  uuencoded  files  that  suffer
this affliction.  Attached is a copy of the program that was posted.

Maybe the mailer isn't broken.  Could it  be  a  new  feature  intended  to
reduce the size of the file by removing unnecessary trailing spaces?  Maybe
uu??code should be rewritten to have both a start and  stop  character  for
each  line (other than a space) so that there will never be trailing spaces
to be deleted.

Note for those who haven't figured out what happened to  the  ARC  posting:
-After the header, each line in a uuencode file has an M as the first
 character followed by 60 ascii text characters.
-The space character is one of the characters used.
-Somebody's mailer is deleting trailing spaces from each line.
-If the last character of the 60 characters is a space then that same
 mailer will delete it.
-If that last character is deleted then uudecode will not produce the
 correct results.

Take a look at the file and see for yourself.  The 46th line after the line
that says 'begin' should have a space as the last character but a mailer has
truncated that line.  There are other lines but I'm not going to list  them
since the program listed below will find and fix them for you.

------------------------- cut here -----------------------------------
/* Written  3:53 pm  Apr 18, 1987 by Fisch@cui.UUCP in comp.sys.ibm.pc */

/* Written by
   uucp:                 mcvax!cernvax!cui!Fisch / Fisch@cui.uucp
   X400/ean:             Fisch@cui.unige.chunet
   bitnet/earn:          Fisch%cui.unige.chunet@cernvax
*/
/*
    Try to repair uuencoded files when trailing space has been removed.
    It pads short lines with spaces whenever needed.
    It reads from stdin and writes to stdout.

        use: pgm <uuencoded > repaired
             uudecode repaired

        or:  pgm <uuencoded | uudecode

    If it doesn't work, I can't help you.
*/

#include <stdio.h>

main()
  {
    char c;
    int tab, len;

    tab = 0;
    while ((c = getchar()) != EOF)
      {
        if (tab == 0)
          {
            if (' '<=c && c<='Z') len = ((c-' '+2)/3)*4+1;
            else len = 1;
          }
        if (c == '0)
          {
            while (tab++<len) putchar(' ');
            tab = 0;
          }
        else tab++;
        putchar (c);
      }
  }
/* end of text */

jkr@gitpyr.gatech.EDU (J. Kenneth Riviere) (05/18/87)

When I encountered a problem with a UUENCODED file from Usenet that
was missing trailing spaces (actually, I think that I had stripped
the trailing spaces myself when I put multiple messages into a single
UUENCODED file) I fixed the problem by patching the Turbo Pascal
UUDECODE program that I had gotten off of the net so that it assumed
trailing spaces if it encountered a short line.  Mail me a request for
it if you are interested in getting the new version.  If there is
enough interest I will post it.

J. Kenneth Riviere   (JoKeR)   ISA, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA  30332
Internet:  jkr@pyr.gatech.edu          Bitnet: iadt1kr@gitvm1
uucp: ...!{akgua,ihnp4,hplabs,seismo}!gatech!gitpyr!jkr

brandon@tdi2.UUCP (05/27/87)

Quoted from <206900033@mirror> ["Re: Corruption on the net Re: ARC520"], by jvc@mirror.UUCP...
+---------------
| /* Written  5:55 pm  May 13, 1987 by tes@whuts.UUCP in comp.sys.ibm.pc */
| The copy of ARC520.COM was put in THIS newsgroup long before you
| posted it to comp.souces.misc.  Your confusing ARC with PKARC.

"tes" also uploaded it to his system with CRLF conversion on, which did the
executables no good.

By the way, there was (1) a posting of ARC520 and (b) tes's postings of
(a) PKARC/PKXARC (b) ARC520 (c) PKFIND (d) patch to PKARC to zap "crunch"
mode.  Don't be too hard on him, huh?

++Brando
--
Brandon S. Allbery	           UUCP: cbatt!cwruecmp!ncoast!tdi2!brandon
Tridelta Industries, Inc.         CSNET: ncoast!allbery@Case