[comp.sys.ibm.pc] UNFORMATTING formated PC floppies

misha@nsc.nsc.com (Michael Umansky) (05/15/87)

Hi.

Does anyone know if it is possible to recover data from an accidentally
formatted diskette.  I started a PC-DOS 3.2 format on a good diskette with
some games.  I realized my error and aborted the format within about 2
seconds but it was too late.  Now it tells me that it can't read the floppy.
I heard the the PC-DOS format doesn't actually zero out data on disk but
rather overwrites the FAT entries.  I would like to recover the data so
that I would not have to spend lots of time trying to remember what I had
on the floppy disk.  Thanx.
--
		NAME:   Michael Umansky (misha)
		E-MAIL:
			 	sun! ----\
				hplabs! --\
				pyramid! --+----> nsc!misha
				decwrl! --/
				amdahl! -/
		WORK:
			National Semiconductor Corporation
			1135 Kern Avenue
			Sunnyvale, CA  94086
			(408) 721-8109 (work)
		HOME:
			4331 Lincoln Way
			San Francisco, CA  94122
			(415) 564-3921 (home)

darrylo@hpsrlc.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) (05/15/87)

> Hi.
>
> Does anyone know if it is possible to recover data from an accidentally
> formatted diskette.  I started a PC-DOS 3.2 format on a good diskette with

     If you format a floppy disk, the data is gone -- annihilated.  It is
only with hard disks that the FAT tables are overwritten (a true format is
not done with hard disks).  With floppies, the format.com program does a
true format (writes new tracks -- complete with address marks, sector info,
and *new* data).

     As you stopped the format just a few seconds into the process (how, I
don't know -- reboot, maybe?), only the first one or two tracks were
rewritten -- or, as it seems in this case, paratially rewritten, hence the
read errors (I assume this is what is meant by "can't read the floppy").  As
only one or two tracks were probably destroyed, only the FAT table, the
root directory and part of the first one or so files are actually lost.
However, reconstructing (most of) the disk, while possible in theory, would
involve MUCH work and is probably not worth the effort (I like to think of
it as trying to reconstruct a cow from a pile of hamburger 8-).

     Sorry about the bad news.

> 		NAME:   Michael Umansky (misha)
> 		E-MAIL:
> 			 	sun! ----\
> 				hplabs! --\
> 				pyramid! --+----> nsc!misha
> 				decwrl! --/
> 				amdahl! -/

     -- Darryl Okahata
        ucbvax!ucbcad!ames!hplabs!hpcea!hpsrla!darrylo		<== best path
	hplabs!hpcea!hpsrla!darrylo				<== alternative
	CompuServe: 75206,3074

Disclaimer: the above is the author's personal opinion and is not the
opinion or policy of his employer or of the little green men that
have been following him all day.

phco@ecsvax.UUCP (John Miller) (05/15/87)

You're out of luck.  Files that have been deleted can frequently be
restored by programs such as Norton's Utilities or PC-Tools, but formatting
destroys all data on a disk.

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (05/17/87)

In article <4327@nsc.nsc.com> misha@nsc.nsc.com (Michael Umansky) writes:
>Does anyone know if it is possible to recover data from an accidentally
>formatted diskette[?]
[...]
>I heard the the PC-DOS format doesn't actually zero out data on disk but
>rather overwrites the FAT entries.

The PC-DOS format program really does do a low-level format of
floppy disks, hence you cannot recover data from an accidentally-
formatted floppy disk.

The format program does leave most data unchanged on a hard disk.

When accidentally reformatting a disk with valuable data, therefore, it
is preferable to use a fixed disk.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  {ihnp4,seismo}!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi

luis@grinch.UUCP (05/18/87)

In article <3156@ecsvax.UUCP> phco@ecsvax.UUCP (John Miller) writes:
>You're out of luck.  Files that have been deleted can frequently be
>restored by programs such as Norton's Utilities or PC-Tools, but formatting
>destroys all data on a disk.

I have to dis-agree with you John.  I have used Mace Utilities, and it
can recover a formatted diskette (hard or soft).  I am not exactly sure
how it does it, but I have heard (don't know if true) that when you format
a disk, that you are only wiping the fat table, and re-writing the sector
ID's...  Anyway, all I know is that Mace Utilities does have an UN-FORMAT
feature.. Just thought you might like to know...  If for some reason or
another the info above is out of date, or incorrect, I am sorry.. but, that
is what they advertize.  I have Mace, but have not had the need to use
Un-Format.

** I am not an employee, just a very happen user of their software. **

Luis Chanu                             "Live every day as if it were your last,
UUCP: ihnp4!sun!aeras!grinch!luis         because one day you will be right."
UUCP: lll-crg!vecpyr!wjvax!grinch!luis                             -Benny Hill
              Disk-Claimer: That's not your disk, that's my disk.

wfp@dasys1.UUCP (05/19/87)

In article <3156@ecsvax.UUCP>, phco@ecsvax.UUCP (John Miller) writes:
> You're out of luck.  Files that have been deleted can frequently be
> restored by programs such as Norton's Utilities or PC-Tools, but formatting
> destroys all data on a disk.

That is not necessarily true...  Under PC-DOS and most versions of MS-DOS
(except, I believe, AT&T and one or two others), all FORMAT does is to
trash the FAT.  The Mace Utilities are capable of restoring, at least
partially, your FAT
(it depends on how fragmented the file allocations
are, among other things).  This applies only to the usual DOS FORMAT.  A
low-level format is another story entirely, of course.  Incidentally, if
you apply Mace Utilities *before* you accidentally format your disk, there
will be an extra FAT in a protected area, and you will get full restoration
of your disk.
(All based on hearsay and magazine articles.  I've never used Mace myself.)
--
William Phillips                 {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Big Electric Cat Public Unix           {bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!wfp

farren@hoptoad.uucp (Mike Farren) (05/19/87)

In article <231@grinch.grinch.UUCP> luis@grinch.UUCP (Luis Chanu) writes:

>I have to dis-agree with you John.  I have used Mace Utilities, and it
>can recover a formatted diskette (hard or soft).  I am not exactly sure
>how it does it, but I have heard (don't know if true) that when you format
>a disk, that you are only wiping the fat table, and re-writing the sector
>ID's.

To the best of my knowledge (and I think my knowledge is fairly
complete), when you execute the FORMAT program to re-format your
floppy disks, it does a hard format of the disk - that is, it
re-writes the entire track, erasing anything, sector IDs, gaps, and
data alike, that was there before.  There is no way I know of to
program the 765 controller chip to rewrite sector IDs.  A hard disk,
on the other hand, does not do a hard reformat when you run FORMAT.

If anyone can verify that the Mace utilities can, indeed, recover data
from a floppy which has been reformatted using the FORMAT command,
please let me know - I want to know how they can do it!

--
----------------
                 "... if the church put in half the time on covetousness

darrylo@hpsrlc.UUCP (05/19/87)

In: / comp.sys.ibm.pc / luis@grinch.UUCP (luis) / 11:00 pm  May 17, 1987 /

>In article <3156@ecsvax.UUCP> phco@ecsvax.UUCP (John Miller) writes:
>>You're out of luck.  Files that have been deleted can frequently be
>>restored by programs such as Norton's Utilities or PC-Tools, but formatting
>>destroys all data on a disk.
>
>I have to dis-agree with you John.  I have used Mace Utilities, and it
>can recover a formatted diskette (hard or soft).  I am not exactly sure
>how it does it, but I have heard (don't know if true) that when you format
>a disk, that you are only wiping the fat table, and re-writing the sector
>ID's...  Anyway, all I know is that Mace Utilities does have an UN-FORMAT
>feature.. Just thought you might like to know...  If for some reason or
>another the info above is out of date, or incorrect, I am sorry.. but, that
>is what they advertize.  I have Mace, but have not had the need to use
>Un-Format.

If you FORMAT a FLOPPY disk, your data is GONE.  WIPED OUT.  ZORCHED.  I
have heard that it is possible, in theory, to actually recover data from a disk that has been formatted (erased), but it would require a specially-built
drive with special signal-processing hardware/software.

For all practical purposes, data on a formatted FLOPPY disk cannot be
recovered.  The data has been sent to the great bit bucket in the sky.

HARD DISKS, on the other hand, only have their FAT tables rewritten if a
format is done.  A true "low-level" format, which destroys data, is NOT done,
permitting the use of programs like Mace Utilities' UN-FORMAT (which only
works, I believe, if certain precautions are taken).

Create a floppy disk with some sample data (data that you don't mind
losing).  Then use FORMAT.COM to format it.  You'll find that the data
CANNOT be recovered (each sector of the disk will be filled with 0E5H,
or somesuch).  If the unformat command does say that the "unformat" was
successful on a floppy disk, then BEWARE!  It probably only restored the
directory; the data in the "files" will be TRASH.

>** I am not an employee, just a very happen user of their software. **

     I don't have the Mace Utilities, but I too have heard good things
about it.

madd@bucsb.bu.edu.UUCP (Jim "Jack" Frost) (05/19/87)

In article <231@grinch.grinch.UUCP> luis@grinch.UUCP (Luis Chanu) writes:
>In article <3156@ecsvax.UUCP> phco@ecsvax.UUCP (John Miller) writes:
>>You're out of luck.  Files that have been deleted can frequently be
>>restored by programs such as Norton's Utilities or PC-Tools, but formatting
>>destroys all data on a disk.
>
>I have to dis-agree with you John.  I have used Mace Utilities, and it
>can recover a formatted diskette (hard or soft).  I am not exactly sure
>how it does it, but I have heard (don't know if true) that when you format
>a disk, that you are only wiping the fat table, and re-writing the sector
>ID's...

I can't believe this.  Sure on a hard drive, format doesn't physically
reformat the disk.  It just fixes up the FATs and things.  However,
floppies are physically reformatted EVERY TIME.  There are a lot of
reasons why, and I wouldn't even be surprised to find out that one of
them was IBM wanting better security.

It's theoretically possible to recover information on a physically
reformatted floppy.  There will be traces of the information that
had been on the floppy earlier.  However, the drives used on every PC
I've ever seen aren't NEARLY good enough to pick them up, and if they
were, it would cause severe problems (like reading old data through
the new data you've just written).

>Anyway, all I know is that Mace Utilities does have an UN-FORMAT
>feature.. Just thought you might like to know...  If for some reason or
>another the info above is out of date, or incorrect, I am sorry.. but, that
>is what they advertize.  I have Mace, but have not had the need to use
>Un-Format.

I believe they have that kind of utility.  But only for a hard disk.
The only other way they could do it would be to replace the format
program supplied with MS-DOS with their own, which doesn't actually do
a physical format every time, but instead looks to see if the disk had
been previously formatted and only clears the information if it had
been formatted.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
          Jim Frost * The Madd Hacker | UUCP: ..!harvard!bu-cs!bucsb!madd
  H H                                 | ARPA:           madd@bucsb.bu.edu
H-C-C-OH <- heehee          +---------+----------------------------------
  H H                       | "We are strangers in a world we never made"

stuart@bms-at.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman) (05/23/87)

"UNFORMAT" utilities work for a hard disk only.  Only the FAT and root
directory are wiped when formatting a hard disk with FORMAT.

A low level format of a hard disk is a seperate step (from which there
is no recovery).

FORMAT always does a low level format of diskettes, however.  There is
no recovery.

P.S.  I've been told that NSA can read data that has been formatted over.
They use sensitive equipment that detects trace signal levels left over
from the previous contents.
--
Stuart D. Gathman	<..!seismo!dgis!bms-at!stuart>

ben@catnip.UUCP (05/28/87)

In article <231@grinch.grinch.UUCP> luis@grinch.UUCP (Luis Chanu) writes:
>In article <3156@ecsvax.UUCP> phco@ecsvax.UUCP (John Miller) writes:
>>You're out of luck.  Files that have been deleted can frequently be
>>restored by programs such as Norton's Utilities or PC-Tools, but formatting
>>destroys all data on a disk.
>
>I have to dis-agree with you John.  I have used Mace Utilities, and it
>can recover a formatted diskette (hard or soft).

As other readers have already pointed out, neither Mace nor any other utility
can do this.

> I have Mace, but have not had the need to use Un-Format.

If you have Mace, why didn't you try to 'unformat' a diskette before
contradicting John?  Your misinformation could cost an unwary net
reader untold grief if he was to proceed with less caution in handling
his diskettes, believing that he could undo his mistakes for the cost of
a copy of the Mace utilities.

I don't want to sound like I'm coming down hard on Luis for an honest
mistake, but I strongly believe that Usenet would be a much more useful
resource if people would take reasonable precautions to assure accuracy in
their postings.

--

Ben Broder
{ihnp4,decvax} !hjuxa!catnip!ben