[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Help with floppy disk problems

john@tifsie.UUCP (John Maline) (05/05/87)

I'm having a problem with the 1.2M floppy drive on my IBM AT clone.
I can often (but now always) read 360K floppys, but I'm batting
.000 reading/writing/formatting 1.2M floppys.

My setup includes a WD 1003-WA2 hard/floppy controller and an ATTACK286
motherboard (trying to) control a Fujitsu floppy.  The controller handles
a 22M MiniScribe just fine.

Does anyone with some hardware know-how have any ideas?
Please mail any help or info.  Thanks.
--
John Maline                    UUCP:    ut-sally!im4u!ti-csl!tifsie!john
Texas Instruments                          sun!texsun!ti-csl!tifsie!john

netoprdc@ncsuvm.bitnet.UUCP (05/13/87)

To the person trying to read a 360k floppy in a 1.2 meg floppy drive,
you should be able to read the disk but you will wipe it
(ah..ha-ha-ha-ha.....wipeout!) when yo try to write to it.  The drives
are jst configured differently

ges@gitpyr.UUCP (05/16/87)

In article <62NETOPRDC@NCSUVM>, NETOPRDC@NCSUVM.BITNET writes:
> To the person trying to read a 360k floppy in a 1.2 meg floppy drive,
> you should be able to read the disk but you will wipe it
> (ah..ha-ha-ha-ha.....wipeout!) when yo try to write to it.  The drives
> are jst configured differently

I have seen 360k floppies written on in 1.2M drives with no ill effects.
The floppies were formatted on a 360k drive. The instance I witnessed
was a floppy formatted on an IBM XT and written by a IBM AT. The
disk was readable by the XT ( and AT) after the write. I beleive that the
floppy was a Maxell DS/DD.

mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow) (05/19/87)

Don't depend on 1.2 M drives *dependably* doing this.
--Mike Volow, Psychiatry, Durham Veterans Administration Medical Center
  Durham, NC, 27712             919 383 3568
  mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP

psfales@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Peter Fales) (05/19/87)

In article <62NETOPRDC@NCSUVM>, NETOPRDC@NCSUVM.BITNET writes:
> To the person trying to read a 360k floppy in a 1.2 meg floppy drive,
> you should be able to read the disk but you will wipe it
> (ah..ha-ha-ha-ha.....wipeout!) when yo try to write to it.  The drives
> are jst configured differently

Actually, this is far from a guaranteed wipeout.  While you are taking
a slight chance in writing a 360K disk in a 1.2 meg drive (i.e. don't
use this to store critical data), I have never had any problem in doing
so.

The other direction is a problem.  You can't read or write a 1.2 Meg disk
in a 360K drive.
--
Peter Fales		UUCP:	...ihnp4!ihlpe!psfales
			work:	(312) 979-7784

markg@amd.UUCP (05/19/87)

In article <1752@ihlpe.ATT.COM> psfales@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Peter Fales) writes:
>In article <62NETOPRDC@NCSUVM>, NETOPRDC@NCSUVM.BITNET writes:
>> (ah..ha-ha-ha-ha.....wipeout!) when yo try to write to it.  The drives
>> are jst configured differently
>
>Actually, this is far from a guaranteed wipeout.  While you are taking
>a slight chance in writing a 360K disk in a 1.2 meg drive (i.e. don't
>use this to store critical data), I have never had any problem in doing
>so.

Does anyone ever bother to read reference manuals???  The following is a quote
from the IBM 3.2 DOS Reference Manual pages 1-9, 1-10.

High-Capacity Drives

You can read and write to:

o   Single-sided 160/180KB diskettes**

o   Double-sided 320/360KB diskettes**

o   High-capacity disketts

IMPORTANT:

** If you write on any of these diskette types using a
high-capacity drive, you may not be able to read the
diskettes in a single-sided or double-sided drive.

END-QUOTE.

The reason for this is the 1.2m floppy's head is thinner than that of the
single/double sided floppy.

If anyone wants to go into depth, be my guest.

--

 Mark Gorlinsky (408) 982-7811
 UUCP: {decwrl,ihnp4,allegra}!amd!markg

stevenj@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Steven Vore ) (05/20/87)

In article <3587@gitpyr.gatech.EDU> ges@gitpyr.gatech.EDU (GERALD E. SULLIVAN) writes:
>In article <62NETOPRDC@NCSUVM>, NETOPRDC@NCSUVM.BITNET writes:
>> To the person trying to read a 360k floppy in a 1.2 meg floppy drive,
>> you should be able to read the disk but you will wipe it
>
>I have seen 360k floppies written on in 1.2M drives with no ill effects.
>The floppies were formatted on a 360k drive.

I do it everyday (read/write 360k disks on AT 1.2M drives). The only problem
I've had is if I try to FORMAT /4 (or whatever the switch is) a 360k disk on
the AT.  THEN the XT can't read it.  If I format the disk on the AT, I can
move it back and forth between both machines with no problems.  Mabye I've
just been incredibly lucky?

Steven J. Vore
stevenj@umbc3.umd.edu

madd@bucsb.bu.edu.UUCP (05/20/87)

In article <341@umbc3.UMD.EDU> stevenj@umbc3 (Steven Vore (PC)) writes:
>In article <3587@gitpyr.gatech.EDU> ges@gitpyr.gatech.EDU (GERALD E. SULLIVAN) writes:
>>In article <62NETOPRDC@NCSUVM>, NETOPRDC@NCSUVM.BITNET writes:
>>> To the person trying to read a 360k floppy in a 1.2 meg floppy drive,
>>> you should be able to read the disk but you will wipe it
>>
>>I have seen 360k floppies written on in 1.2M drives with no ill effects.
>>The floppies were formatted on a 360k drive.
>
>I do it everyday (read/write 360k disks on AT 1.2M drives). The only problem
>I've had is if I try to FORMAT /4 (or whatever the switch is) a 360k disk on
>the AT.  THEN the XT can't read it.  If I format the disk on the AT, I can
>move it back and forth between both machines with no problems.  Mabye I've
>just been incredibly lucky?

Could be, but it could also be the 360k drive.  In my experiences,
some computers have no problems from 1.2M<>360K, while others display
the problems that IBM warns about.  I know how come the silly 360K
disks shouldn't work, but what I'm saying is that *some* *do* work.
For instance, I've never had a problem moving diskettes to and from a
true blue AT and a Tandy 1000, but moving from the AT to a Leading
Edge didn't work at all.

At any rate, if you wnat your data you should be careful.  I
personally recommend reformatting the diskette each time you move
between the two systems, and only doing reads on the other system --
no writes.  With this method, I've never had a problem with any
system.  This actually surprizes me, because I would expect the high
intensity drive to format a smaller track and possibly leave traces of
the 360K signal, but it doesn't seem to do this.  Anyone know why?

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
          Jim Frost * The Madd Hacker | UUCP: ..!harvard!bu-cs!bucsb!madd
  H H                                 | ARPA:           madd@bucsb.bu.edu
H-C-C-OH <- heehee          +---------+----------------------------------
  H H                       | "We are strangers in a world we never made"

zu@ethz.UUCP (Urs Zurbuchen) (05/22/87)

In article <4008@amd.UUCP> markg@amd.UUCP (Mark Gorlinsky) writes:
>** If you write on any of these diskette types [180KB or 360KB, ed.] using a
>high-capacity drive, you may not be able to read the
>diskettes in a single-sided or double-sided drive.

Actually, I never had a problem reading data on disks written by a high
density drive. I was able to read the data on my own drive, three other
high density drives and several low density drives. It didn't matter on
which drive the data was written and on which it was read.
But, the problem comes in if you're going to FORMAT a floppy with 360KB
on a high density disk. None of the other drives mentioned above was able
to read such floppies. And it didn't matter on which high density drive
they were formatted. Sometimes I even had troubles reading the data with
the same drive which did the formatting.

		...urs

UUCP: ...seismo!mcvax!cernvax!ethz!zu

markg@amd.UUCP (05/26/87)

In article <93@bernina.UUCP> zu@bernina.UUCP (Urs Zurbuchen) writes:
>In article <4008@amd.UUCP> markg@amd.UUCP (Mark Gorlinsky) writes:
>>** If you write on any of these diskette types [180KB or 360KB, ed.] using a
>>high-capacity drive, you may not be able to read the
                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>diskettes in a single-sided or double-sided drive.
>
>Actually, I never had a problem reading data on disks written by a high
>density drive.

I'm glad to hear you didn't have have any problems!  I, on the other hand did.
Not all of my 1.2Mb drives can write on a 360Kb diskette.  Reading seems to be
no problem at all.

Formatting a disk other than a high density in a 1.2Mb drive cannot be
accomplished.
--
 Mark Gorlinsky - AMD Processor Products Division/APPS SQA
 UUCP: {decwrl,ihnp4,allegra}!amd!markg

phco@ecsvax.UUCP (John Miller) (05/27/87)

In article <4029@amd.UUCP> markg@amd.UUCP (Mark Gorlinsky) writes:
>In article <93@bernina.UUCP> zu@bernina.UUCP (Urs Zurbuchen) writes:
>Formatting a disk other than a high density in a 1.2Mb drive cannot be
>accomplished.

I have on numerous occasions formatted 360KB diskettes in 1.2MB drives (using
"format /4"), written on them with both 1.2MB and 360KB drives, and then
successfully read them in both 1.2MB and 360KB drives.

It is true, however, that 1.2MB drives write narrower tracks than 360KB drives,
so disks written on 360KB drives and then written over by 1.2MB drives may then
be unreadable on 360KB drives, since the wider track of the 360KB drive is not
completely obliterated by the 1.2MB drive.  It is also true that some drives,
of both types, can't deal with this sort of activity.  I suppose this is
because of faulty alignment in the drives.  The old full height floppy drives
in the original IBM PC seem to have the worst problems with alignment.  We've
had many problems in our department transferring floppies from one IBM PC to
another (the older models with full height drives).  The half height drives
see much more reliable.

--
                        John Miller  (ecsvax!phco)
                        Dept. of Pharmacology, Univ. of N.C.-Chapel Hill

markg@amd.UUCP (Mark Gorlinsky) (05/27/87)

(John Miller) writes:
>(Mark Gorlinsky) writes:
>>(Urs Zurbuchen) writes:
>>Formatting a disk other than a high density in a 1.2Mb drive cannot be
>>accomplished.
>
>I have on numerous occasions formatted 360KB diskettes in 1.2MB drives (using
>"format /4"), written on them with both 1.2MB and 360KB drives, and then
>successfully read them in both 1.2MB and 360KB drives.

After spending many milliseconds reevaluating my comment on the subject of
FORMATting a 360Kb in a 1.2Mb drive, I have come to the conclusion that what
I said was infact not the whole fact.  I dicovered that if I were to use the
/4 option, it was possible to FORMAT a 360Kb disk in a 1.2Mb drive.  Silly me!
I should learn to read the manual more carefully and not ass/u/me that the
FORMAT program can tell the difference between a low-density and a high-density
disk.  I still believe that after formatting a low-density disk in a 1.2Mb drive
there will be problems, on some machines, reading the disk.

--

bpm@homxb.UUCP (05/28/87)

:
: I have on numerous occasions formatted 360KB diskettes in 1.2MB drives (using
: "format /4"), written on them with both 1.2MB and 360KB drives, and then
: successfully read them in both 1.2MB and 360KB drives.
:
: It is true, however, that 1.2MB drives write narrower tracks than 360KB drives,
: so disks written on 360KB drives and then written over by 1.2MB drives may then
: be unreadable on 360KB drives, since the wider track of the 360KB drive is not
: completely obliterated by the 1.2MB drive.  It is also true that some drives,

If this is indeed a problem, why not just erase the disk with a bulk
tape eraser (Radio shack has a good one for about $15) and then format
the disk on whatever drive you want.  This way there will be no
residual data on the disk for a slightly misaligned head to pick up.
I've used this method for a long time on other computers and have had
no trouble at all.

phil@amdcad.UUCP (05/29/87)

In article <4008@amd.UUCP> markg@amd.UUCP (Mark Gorlinsky) writes:

>Does anyone ever bother to read reference manuals???  The following is a quote
>from the IBM 3.2 DOS Reference Manual pages 1-9, 1-10.

You must be new to this network. In this newsgroup people generally don't

1) believe in doing research before running to their terminals.
Witness that stupid posting about the MACE utility.

2) believe in the scientific method. If something worked once that
means it will always work, doesn't it? We launched 24 shuttles, the
25th should be just fine.

3) appear to know how to read manuals, or at least own any.

I think I'll go away again. Things haven't gotten any better since
the last time I unsubscribed.
--
Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com