[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Tango Board Layout

mikey@bbimg.UUCP (05/05/87)

I use SCHEMA schematic capture a lot for a variety of small projects, but the
cost of getting even small PCBs layed out and prototyped from just a netlist
is a real problem.

I was recently told about Tango-PCB, and seeing as how it will read the netlist
right from SCHEMA and let me do a check print of the film on an IBM type
printer, I was impressed, especially for the suggested $495 retail.  Before I
plunk down the cash, has anyone here on the net used Tango-PCB?  What about
the companion autorouter program TangoRoute?  Buying both brings the total to
$1000, but the last board I had made cost me more than that for the layout and
4 prepro samples!  Being able to make the films direct and then just send out
for board manufacture really appeals to me, but I still would like to hear
from someone who has used either or both of these programs.

				Mike Yetsko
				Boston's Beth Israel Hospital
				trsvax!techsup!bbimg!mikey

amir@booboo.UUCP (Amir Majidimehr) (05/29/87)

Sorry about posting this.  I couldn't mail it...

In article <-3977194@bbimg>, mikey@bbimg.UUCP writes:

> I was recently told about Tango-PCB, and seeing as how it will read the netlist
> right from SCHEMA and let me do a check print of the film on an IBM type
> printer, I was impressed, especially for the suggested $495 retail.  Before I
> plunk down the cash, has anyone here on the net used Tango-PCB?

I have used the Tango-PCB to design relatively small pc boards.  The program
is extremely flexible for the price and I has just about every editing
feature that you would want.  The only problem is the user interface.  It
does *not* have any menues.  It makes heavy use of alternate and
controll/function keys.  They do give you an overlay for the function keys.
It is also copy protected.
>  What about
> the companion autorouter program TangoRoute?  Buying both brings the total to
> $1000, but the last board I had made cost me more than that for the layout and
> 4 prepro samples!  Being able to make the films direct and then just send out
> for board manufacture really appeals to me, but I still would like to hear
> from someone who has used either or both of these programs.

Haven't used the autorouter.  I send the file electronically that makes the
prototypes.  I just do a quick print on my dot-matrix printer.  It cost
about $100 to get a prototype made this way.

--
Amir H. Majidimehr
Gould Inc, Computer Systems Division