[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Request for DOS programmer books

sarah@laticorp.UUCP (05/26/87)

I'm looking for recommendations for good reference books on DOS.
Specifically I'm looking for books that are designed for programmers
who are familiar with other operating systems but are new to DOS.
The book(s) should go beyond a dry recitation of DOS commands (I can
get that from the user manual);  what I really need is to be able to
get a feel for how to think in DOS.

I'm a software engineer with many years of experience in Unix and C,
but little knowledge of DOS.  So far the books I've found seem to be
geared either towards the rank beginner or towards clever but non-portable
patches.

Thanks in advance!

Sarah Groves Hobart

psfales@ihlpe.UUCP (05/27/87)

In article <129@laticorp.UUCP>, sarah@laticorp.UUCP (Sarah Groves Hobart) writes:
> I'm looking for recommendations for good reference books on DOS.
> Specifically I'm looking for books that are designed for programmers
> who are familiar with other operating systems but are new to DOS.
> The book(s) should go beyond a dry recitation of DOS commands (I can
> get that from the user manual);  what I really need is to be able to
> get a feel for how to think in DOS.

A top-notch book I have is "Advanced MS-DOS" by Ray Duncan and published
by Microsoft Press.  It is slanted a little toward Microsoft products
(the chapter on programming tools discusses MASM, Microsoft C, CREF, LINK,
and LIB), but most topics are applicable to any software development.
Other chapters discuss Disk Internals, Subdirectories, Memory Allocation,
and writing Device Drivers.  All illustrated with well commented
examples.

--
Peter Fales		UUCP:	...ihnp4!ihlpe!psfales
			work:	(312) 979-7784

doug@edge.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (06/02/87)

> I'm looking for recommendations for good reference books on DOS.
> Specifically I'm looking for books that are designed for programmers
> who are familiar with other operating systems but are new to DOS.

I presume you mean "using DOS function calls, etc." as opposed to
using DOS commands.

I recommend the one from Microsoft Press.  It's certainly the most
accurate one I've seen.  Not quite as tutorial as you might like.

So I'd recommend (as a supplement to the above) the one by Peter
Norton.  This one is a lot more tutorial.  Warning:  Norton is
often incorrect in his explanations of "why something is the
way it is."  His examples often work only through pure chance.
In any question of detail, the Microsoft book should be considered
the authority.

[Both of the above books are 8-1/2 by 11", about an inch thick.  I'm
sorry I don't remember the titles; I haven't worked with PCs in a
while.]

There is also an official DOS Technical Reference Manual (or some such
title) which is available in the half-size binder format.  It's okay, I
guess.  But absolutely no tutorial stuff there at all.

In addition to the DOS functions, you will probably want BIOS info
(mainly for keyboard/video functions).  The Norton book provides
tutorial info on this, and for authoritative descriptions you
should get the "PC Technical Reference Manual", which is an IBM
publication which comes in one of those half-size binders.  It
contains the assembly listing of the BIOS ROMs (which contains
comments detailing each BIOS function call).

If money's a limitation and you can only get one book, the Norton book
is a good compromise.  But remember that there are some mistakes
in that book.  Don't take it as gospel by any means, okay?
--
Doug Pardee, Edge Computer Corp; ihnp4!mot!edge!doug, seismo!ism780c!edge!doug