[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Fast Hard Disks

chamoun@lownlab.harvard.edu (Nassib Chamoun) (06/01/87)

I'm looking for large and fast hard disks to run on 286/386 machines.  Size
could be anywhere between 80 to 300 MB, and average access time ranging from 5
to 15 msec.  I basically want a hard disk/controller combination that screams.
Are there any Ram packs that will connect to your hard disk controller and
behave like a hard disk.  Any input regarding these matters is greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance

NAME: Nassib G. Chamoun                USPS:   Lown Cardiovascular Laboratory
USENET: ...!harvard!lownlab!chamoun              Harvard School of Public Health
PHONE: +1 617 732 1307                          665 Huntington Avenue
                                                 Boston, MA 02115-9915

pre1@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Grant Prellwitz) (06/02/87)

In article <2157@husc6.UUCP> chamoun@lownlab.harvard.edu (Nassib Chamoun) writes:
>I'm looking for large and fast hard disks to run on 286/386 machines.  Size
>could be anywhere between 80 to 300 MB, and average access time ranging from 5
>to 15 msec.  I basically want a hard disk/controller combination that screams.

I'm posting this because I'd like further info on this topic also.  I saw an ad
today in Infoworld from Core that mentions a 10 ms, 40 MB hard drive that they
have.  are there any out there that are larger (or faster :-)
ideal situation:     ms -> 0 , MB -> oo

--
=====================Grant Prellwitz==========================
!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!pre1          pre1@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP

keithe@tekgvs.UUCP (06/03/87)

In article <2157@husc6.UUCP> chamoun@lownlab.harvard.edu (Nassib Chamoun) writes:

>I'm looking for large and fast hard disks to run on 286/386 machines.  Size
>could be anywhere between 80 to 300 MB, and average access time ranging from 5
>to 15 msec.  I basically want a hard disk/controller combination that screams.

That isn't the only thing that's gonna' scream: so will your purchasing
department (actual or "spousal," as the case may be)! The Maxtor 2190 costs
us (Tek) $2400 and I think we get some kind of quantity price break (don't
quote me - that's just a number I heard in the hallway) for 190 Megabytes
(unformatted) in an ST506/412 compatible drive. It's something like 28 msec
access time.

And don't forget the $120 for V-Feature Deluxe (from Golden Bow Systems) so
you can talk to your megabytes (at a slight decrease access time; I had to go
from a 2:1 interleave to a 3:1 when I installed my 2190/V-Feature combination).
Oh, yeah - most controllers can oly talk to 1024 cylinders. The 2190 has over
1200 cylinders. So I ended up with "only" 133 megabytes of disk storage.

keith (backups - what are backups?) ericson

timothym@tekigm2.UUCP (06/03/87)

Hello netlanders...

Again the subject of hard disks comes up.

A fast access time does not equate to a fast performance, always that is.

Be sure to look at other factors, like the CPU to Disk interface. If you are
looking for the ultimate in performance on an IBM PC or Clone, look for a
SCSI interface and a SCSI drive. And when looking at the controller, be sure
it will do full cylinder buffering and allow you a 1:1 interleave.

There are drive controller combinations out there that have data transfer
rates in excess of 500kbytes per second (a good ST412 system approaches 250
kbytes per second, with full track buffering about 350kbytes per second). It
is conceivable that a good SCSI controller and drive will push bytes back and
forth to your CPU at rates up to 1 megabyte per second, limited to the PC's
DMA bandwidth and the disk rotational speed.

Good luck...

--
Tim Margeson (206)253-5240
PO Box 3500  d/s C1-937                          @@   'Who said that?'