[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Hercules Clones

alexande@drivax.UUCP (06/03/87)

In article <2580@ncoast.UUCP> allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) writes:
>Herc mono is sort-of; the clone versions I've seen
>use the CGA character set, which is a lossage (and worse because it looked
>like they were skipping scan lines to simulate the CGA character size in
>pixels).  I would hope that a good model would use a readable character set
>and use full resolution in text mode.

That's funny ... every Herc clone I've seen in computer stores in Silicon
Valley had the nice high-res IBM-style character set (including
the Zuckerboard I bought).  Maybe you were looking at one of those
fancy-dancy boards that emulates the CGA on a TTL monochrome monitor,
and it happened to be in CGA mode (the Everex Edge is one such beast).
I'm sure that in Herc mode all would be fine.
--
Mark Alexander	...{hplabs,seismo,sun,ihnp4}!amdahl!drivax!alexande
"Bob-ism: the Faith that changes to meet YOUR needs." -- Bob