[comp.sys.ibm.pc] DOS patches

curl@wjvax.UUCP (Jim Curl) (05/28/87)

I'm looking for ways to patch DOS in order to do two things:

    (1) I'd like to be able to have a longer PATH than the 128 or so
        characters now allowed -- this limitation might be a function
        of my editor?

    (2) I'd like to be able to expand the type-ahead keyboard buffer.

If anyone knows about these, please mail or post responses.

Thanks,

Jim Curl
(I *hate* DOS!)

markg@amd.UUCP (05/30/87)

In article <923@wjvax.wjvax.UUCP> curl@wjvax.UUCP (Jim Curl) writes:
>I'm looking for ways to patch DOS in order to do two things:
>
>    (2) I'd like to be able to expand the type-ahead keyboard buffer.

I'm only going to respond to item # 2.  Sorry.  The type-ahead buffer
is a function of the BIOS.  You will have to create a TSR program to trap on
INT 9 or find a friend-of-a-friend who knows of a PD one.

--
 Mark Gorlinsky - AMD Processor Products Division/APPS SQA
 UUCP: {decwrl,ihnp4,allegra}!amd!markg

boykin@custom.UUCP (Joseph Boykin) (05/30/87)

In article <923@wjvax.wjvax.UUCP>, curl@wjvax.UUCP (Jim Curl) writes:
> I'm looking for ways to patch DOS in order to do two things:
>     (1) I'd like to be able to have a longer PATH than the 128 or so
>         characters now allowed -- this limitation might be a function
>         of my editor?
>     (2) I'd like to be able to expand the type-ahead keyboard buffer.

1) DOS has an internal limit of 64 characters for any single
directory name (see documentation on System call # 3bH).
The limit on the PATH environment variable is due to both the
size of your environment (default is 160 bytes, part of which
is taken up with the COMSPEC variable, part with the characters
PATH= plus NULLS, plus any other environment variables you have.

It's easy to change the size of the environment using the /E option
for command.com in your CONFIG.SYS file (see DOS Tech Ref or
email for details -- most of the net has seen these enough that
if its posted again I'll get flamed!).  One note on long paths,
their DOS is VERY inefficient!  It's generally better to
keep only a couple of directories which have your executables
and keep your search path short than to split everything up,
but that's your choice.

RE: Expanding your type-ahead buffer... Theres a bunch of
programs out there which do this, my choice is FANSI-CONSOLE,
it does ALOT more than increase your type ahead buffer though.
It will increase screen output performance by 1.2 to 6X,
give you key click, change your repeat rate, change lenght of
bell, auto screen dim, and gives a scroll recall buffer.
Oh yes, and a 255 character type-ahead buffer.  All for $25
without manual, $75 with (you might be able to find discounts
though, I know Programmers Connection has it for less, we
sell it for $60 with PC/VI, etc.)  In my opinion, the program
is a bargain at $75.

Joe Boykin
Custom Software Systems
...necntc!custom!boykin

mrk@gvgspd.UUCP (Michael R. Kesti) (05/31/87)

In article <923@wjvax.wjvax.UUCP> curl@wjvax.UUCP (Jim Curl) writes:
>I'm looking for ways to patch DOS in order to do two things:
>
>    (1) I'd like to be able to have a longer PATH than the 128 or so
>        characters now allowed -- this limitation might be a function
>        of my editor?
>
>    (2) I'd like to be able to expand the type-ahead keyboard buffer.
>
>If anyone knows about these, please mail or post responses.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jim Curl
>(I *hate* DOS!)

Jim:
	The 128 byte limit is, I believe, the maximum command line length.
You can extend the path up to the limit of the environment size with:

	SET PATH=%PATH%;new_directories

Note that this works only from within a batch file; from the command line,
DOS doesn't expand the %PATH% properly.  I like to keep a batch file called
ADDPATH.BAT that contains the single line:

	SET PATH=%PATH%;%1

To call this from AUTOEXEC.BAT (or any other batch file), use:

	COMMAND /C ADDPATH new_directory

To expand the keyboard buffer, try VISITYPE from the 28 OCT 86 (vol 5 no 18)
issue of PC Magazine.  It provides an 80 character buffer and displays the
yet-to-be-used characters on the first line of the display, so that you can
actually SEE what you've entered.  Get it from their BBS at (216)696-0360.

				MK

P.S. I *love* DOS.  It gives one so many opertunities to say "Now why in
hell didn't that work (:-)?"!

Michael Kesti		Grass Valley Group, Inc.
P.O. Box 1114   	Grass Valley, CA  95945
UUCP:	...!tektronix!gvgp
Awhichrd S@wj

psfales@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Peter Fales) (06/01/87)

In article <923@wjvax.wjvax.UUCP>, curl@wjvax.UUCP (Jim Curl) writes:
> I'm looking for ways to patch DOS in order to do two things:
>
>     (1) I'd like to be able to have a longer PATH than the 128 or so
>         characters now allowed -- this limitation might be a function
>         of my editor?

Once again, the problem is not with DOS, but the brain damaged
COMMAND.COM.  COMMAND.COM has a 128 byte limit on the number of character
on a command line, DOS has no problem with longer environment variables.
I have heard references to PD programs which manipulate the environment to
create paths longer than 128 characters.  The info-ibmpc newsletter
Vol 6 #32 mentioned a program call CHGPATH.C to perform this function.

>     (2) I'd like to be able to expand the type-ahead keyboard buffer.

I have seen PD programs to do this, however I second the suggestion of
another poster to use FANSI-CONSOLE.  I provides this function plus
MANY other useful features.
--
Peter Fales		UUCP:	...ihnp4!ihlpe!psfales
			work:	(312) 979-7784

gbs@voder.UUCP (George Smith) (06/01/87)

In article <656@custom.UUCP>, boykin@custom.UUCP (Joseph Boykin) writes:
> In article <923@wjvax.wjvax.UUCP>, curl@wjvax.UUCP (Jim Curl) writes:
> > I'm looking for ways to patch DOS in order to do two things:
> >     (1) I'd like to be able to have a longer PATH than the 128 or so
> >         characters now allowed -- this limitation might be a function
> >         of my editor?
>
> 1) DOS has an internal limit of 64 characters for any single
> directory name (see documentation on System call # 3bH).
> Joe Boykin
> Custom Software Systems
> ...necntc!custom!boykin

It's interesting - there seems to be some looseness on the part of IBM
with regard to their definition of the size of a path name passed to a
DOS function.  As pointed out by Joe Boykin, chdir (int 21h, function 3bh)
makes mention of the 64 character limit on the size of the ASCIIZ string
which is to contain the path name.

However, the following functions which also expect an ASCIIZ string with
the path name DON'T mention the 64 character limit:

	mkdir  (39h)		chmod      (43h)
	rmdir  (3ah)		exec       (4bh)
	creat  (3ch)		find first (4eh)
	open   (3dh)		find next  (4fh)
	unlink (41h)		rename     (56h)

Also, the definition of an ASCIIZ string (page 6-46, DOS Tech Ref, v3.20)
says "The maximum size of an ASCIIZ string is 128 bytes, including the
drive, colon, and null terminator).

Finally, function get current directory (47h), specifies DS:SI must point
to a 64-byte user memory area.  It will place the full path name of the
current directory for the specified drive there.  This seems to back
Joe's statement.

Why do the two directory functions (CHDIR and Get Current Directory)
specifically mention a 64 char limit vs the ASCIIZ definition and the
lack of specifiying any size for the other functions?

--
George B. Smith
National Semiconductor

brown@nicmad.UUCP (06/02/87)

In article <923@wjvax.wjvax.UUCP> curl@wjvax.UUCP (Jim Curl) writes:
<I'm looking for ways to patch DOS in order to do two things:
<    (2) I'd like to be able to expand the type-ahead keyboard buffer.

Call your nearest BBS system and download the latest KeyBoarDFiX program,
version 2.3.  I have seen it as KBFIX23.ARC and KBFIX3.ARC.  It expands the
keyboard buffer and a couple of other nice things as well.
--
	 harvard-\     ihnp4--\
Mr. Video   seismo!uwvax.......!nicmad!brown

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (06/03/87)

In article <4046@amd.UUCP> markg@amd.UUCP (Mark Gorlinsky) writes:
>In article <923@wjvax.wjvax.UUCP> curl@wjvax.UUCP (Jim Curl) writes:
>>I'm looking for ways to patch DOS in order to do two things:
>>
>>    (2) I'd like to be able to expand the type-ahead keyboard buffer.
>>
>I'm only going to respond to item # 2.  Sorry.  The type-ahead buffer
>is a function of the BIOS.  You will have to create a TSR program to trap on
>INT 9 or find a friend-of-a-friend who knows of a PD one.

Here's one. I got it off a BBS back about the time DOS2.0 came out.
I don't use it much anymore, but it works fine.

>--
> Mark Gorlinsky - AMD Processor Products Division/APPS SQA
> UUCP: {decwrl,ihnp4,allegra}!amd!markg
> AT&T: (408) 982-7811
> DISCLAIMER: My opinions are mine, not my employers.

begin 644 buf128.exe
M35H   (    @    __\@ (
M                      #ILP$
M         P # /J<FH?I /!3!KM  ([#)HL>&@ F.QX< '0X)HD>'  FBQ]6
M+HLV!0%6@\8"@?X# 7(#O@, +CLV P%>=!0NB1R#Q@*!_@,!<@.^ P NB38%
M 5X'6\_[#0KD= G^S'0Q_LQT0<_[D/HNH0,!+CL&!0%T\E.+V"Z+!X/# H'[
M P%R [L# "X['@4!+HD> P%;S_I3+HL> P$N.QX% 2Z+!UO[R@( !KA  ([
C!@4! P#[Q@8! "<>N@  4KJV LL

end
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)
  {chinet | philabs | sesimo}!steinmetz!crdos1!davidsen