[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Unix like tools for MSDOS enviroment...

phillip@cbmvax.UUCP (06/04/87)

[]

Could anyone familiar with Polytron and their products:

	PVCS, PolyShell, PowerCom, PolyMake

Give me any Email feedback on pros/cons of these products.

Mucho thanks in advance..
-phil
  UUCP: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!phillip      - Phone: (215) 431-9180
  No warranty is implied or otherwise given in the form of suggestion or
  example. Any opinions found here are of my making.

mikeb@pyrnova (mike brennan) (06/05/87)

In article <1969@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> phillip@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Phillip Lindsay CATS) writes:

>	PVCS, PolyShell, PowerCom, PolyMake

PVCS: very close to RCS. Their current version - 1.3 - fixes a lot of
      earlier problems. Use it solely in a single user environment, so cannot
      speak about there multiuser version.

Polyshell: Rel 1.1, is the first commercial release. Supports most shell
      functions. Uses about 16k of memory, but pulls in two overlay
      files for some of the library calls: they say they do this to keep
      the size of the utilities down which are in some cases bigger
      than equivalent utilities available in the public domain that run
      directly under DOS.

      Have been using this for 3 months, and have run into very few
      problems. The shell programming is very akin to csh (they claim
      the Korn shell: but not having used this have no comment), and the
      history function is identical. Have a very slick help facility.

      The utilities are pretty complete but missing are:
	 awk, od, dd, ed (really need this with diff), cpio, profile

      Bugs: cannot load TSR programs under the shell

  Powercom: never used, but specs look impressive (if you are brave
      Polyshell has a complete 'cu' utilitiy).

  Polymake: their Rel 2.0, is much much faster than the older 1.3e
     release. This is a really complete  make.

  Polylibrarian: a very good library manager

  PC/VI: since vi is not implemented in Polyshell, PC/VI is a really
     good implementation of vi. G
     Gripes: requires FANSI-console to work well.
	     takes inordinate amount of time to load large files.
	     does something totally non-standard to invoke the shell,
	     (command.com -K I believe) that prevents polyshell being
	     executed under pc/vi.

 Brief: If you are not a vi 'afficiando' (as
     I am), then I think BRIEF is a much better editor. Very fast
     screen writing, multiple command line options, supports backup and
     save files, multiple windows, sane key stroke sequences, ability
     to compile and correct errors directly from your editing window.
     All key sequences can be redefined, and has a macro language to
     allow generation of any command you want. Big gripe, only one
     scrap buffer, and can only place one mark in the file.

Caveat: I have no relationship to Polytron, am just a satisfied user.

boykin@custom.UUCP (06/05/87)

In article <2876@pyramid.UUCP>, mikeb@pyrnova (mike brennan) writes:
> In article <1969@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> phillip@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Phillip Lindsay CATS) writes:
>   PC/VI: since vi is not implemented in Polyshell, PC/VI is a really
>      good implementation of vi. G
>      Gripes: requires FANSI-console to work well.
> 	     takes inordinate amount of time to load large files.
> 	     does something totally non-standard to invoke the shell,
> 	     (command.com -K I believe) that prevents polyshell being
> 	     executed under pc/vi.

Let's see, PC/VI no longer requires ANSI.SYS (or FANSI-CONSOLE).
The current release has a version which goes exclusively through
the BIOS, the previous release had 99% of the screen I/O going
through the BIOS and was usable without ANSI.SYS if you called
and asked a trick or two!

The presence of FANSI-CONSOLE will get you better
performance (it speeds up *everything* including TYPE!),
so it is still reccommended.

Time to load files has been significantly enhanced in version 2.00.
Disk I/O is as much as 400% faster.  Search performance was also
increased (about 20-25%)

As for invoking the shell we don't do anything non-standard, we
use /C and /I (or -C and -I if SWITCHAR is set).  The problem here
is that alot of shell replacements are case sensitive.  As
command.com takes upper or lower case version 2.00 (and now 2.01)
uses lowercase 'c' and 'i'.

Joe Boykin
Custom Software Systems
...necntc!custom!boykin