[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Color questions: color systems, "black bodies", EGB palette

neal@druhi.UUCP (05/27/87)

I'm looking for information on color science and computer graphics.

1) Could someone point me to software which converts between the various
	color systems?  For example, from "dominant wavelength, purity,
	reflectance" to RGB?
	How about between the Munsell colors and RGB or XYZ?
	How about software which runs on, say, a Sun lets you navigate around
	the different 3-d color spaces?
2) How about equations to provide the xy or RGB values for various black
	body temperatures (when they say that a "G" star is yellow, I'd like
	to be more specific....)
3) Where would I find specifications on the gamuts of specific color monitors
	or tv sets?  Are they all about the same, or is there significant
	variation?
4) How would I calibrate a monitor?  What do the "hue", "saturation", etc knobs
	really do?
5) As I understand it, the color palatte of the IBM CGA standard is really
	limited to 8 colors with 2 intensities of each.  On the other hand,
	the EGA standard allows for a "64 color palatte".  Which 64 colors?
	2 bits per primary?
6) What are good reference books for questions like these?

Thanks a lot for any help!

-Neal McBurnett, ihnp4!druhi!neal

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (05/27/87)

In article <1937@druhi.ATT.COM> neal@druhi.ATT.COM (Neal D. McBurnett) writes:
>5) As I understand it, the color palatte of the IBM CGA standard is really
>	limited to 8 colors with 2 intensities of each.  On the other hand,
>	the EGA standard allows for a "64 color palatte".  Which 64 colors?
>	2 bits per primary?

This problem of terminology comes up again and again.  People, the human eye
needs only three distinct hues for full effect.  This business of 8 colors, or
64 colors, or 4096 colors, is advertising hype.  Your typical printer will
tell you he or she uses only three colors, with a little black thrown in.  The
rest is all a question of INTENSITY.

Remember, THREE colors, and a large number (or 16, or 64, or 4096) of
INTENSITIES.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  {ihnp4,seismo}!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi

dts@gitpyr.gatech.EDU (Danny Sharpe) (05/28/87)

In article <1937@druhi.ATT.COM> neal@druhi.ATT.COM (Neal D. McBurnett) writes:
>I'm looking for information on color science and computer graphics.
>
>1) Could someone point me to software which converts between the various
>	color systems?  For example, from "dominant wavelength, purity,
>	reflectance" to RGB?
	.
	.
	.
>6) What are good reference books for questions like these?

_Color_in_Business,_Science_and_Industry 3rd ed., by Judd and Wyszecki,
John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1975, ISBN 0-471-45212-2.

This book isn't about software, but it does give some of the zillions of
formulas for specifying color.  It's rather expensive, and even though it's
a book about color it has no color illustrations :-(.

"Mistrust enterprises that require new clothes."

Danny Sharpe
School of ICS
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!dts

todd@uhccux.UUCP (05/29/87)

In article <725@bsu-cs.UUCP> dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>This problem of terminology comes up again and again.  People, the human eye
>needs only three distinct hues for full effect.  This business of 8 colors, or
>64 colors, or 4096 colors, is advertising hype.  Your typical printer will
>tell you he or she uses only three colors, with a little black thrown in.  The
>rest is all a question of INTENSITY.

You are wrong.  Just some of the things color perceptions depends on are:

	1. whether the human eye(s) are "normal" for color vision
	   (i.e., the person is not "color-blind")
	2. the other colors and shadows surrounding the color surface or
	   source (in the case of lights)
	3. the mixture of wavelengths reaching the eye.
	   Subtractive mixture takes place in paints (where Red, Yellow,
	   and Blue are the "primaries").  Additive mixture takes place
	   when using lights (where Red, Green, and Blue are the "primaries")
	4. the amount of light reaching the eye
	5. the current state of the visual system.  If you are dark adapted
	   and are suddenly flooded with light, all you see is a white
	   glare most of the time.  If your opponent cells are fatigued
	   in one direction the complentary color (of whatever is fatigued)
	   is seen (try placing a green lens over one eye for a few mintues
	   and then look around).

In short, the color you see depends not only on the actual wavelengths
reaching your eye, but also interaction of color after being processed
by higher cortical functions, and the current state of various portions
of the visual system.  Further, the while only three "primaries" are needed
to create all the colors we "see," the "normal" human eye is capable
of distinguishing a great many "colors" (some estimates approach or
exceed one billion).  Anyone who wants to find out more about the
processing of color by the human visual system should read a good book
on the subject.  I think Robert Boynton's "Human Color Vision" may be
a good place to start....todd

--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii Computing Center
UUCP:		{ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!nosc!uhccux!todd

eugene@pioneer.arpa (Eugene Miya N.) (05/29/87)

People have not answered one part of the questions.
Black bodies:  you want to look at the Boltzmann and Planck equations.
Check out a physics text on radiative transfer and you will find the
curves for black bodies.  I learned about them for weather modelling.
Other people have adequately covered the sensation of the perception of colour.
The black body stuff won't help you for color.

From the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:

--eugene miya
  NASA Ames Research Center
  eugene@ames-aurora.ARPA
  "Send mail, avoid follow-ups.  If enough, I'll summarize."
  {hplabs,hao,ihnp4,decwrl,allegra,tektronix,menlo70}!ames!aurora!eugene

awpaeth@watcgl.UUCP (05/30/87)

The Boltzmann equations define the spectal energy of a perfect black-body
radiator. For use in color, these values can be converted into cie
chromaticity coordinates (they are well tabulated), which in turn can
be mapped into RGB coordinates through a change of basis, if you know the
chromaticity of your monitor. Enclosed are some sample values.

    /Alan Paeth

---------------
CIE chromaticity coordinates for a black-body at T in deg K.
 lambda(max) is the peak wavelength in nm of the Stefan-Bolzmann curve.

Dominant wavelength is not available for ~6500 degrees Kelvin, as the curve is
nearly flat through the visible portion of the spectrum here. Standard daylight
is approximated by illuminant D65, but does not lie along the locus of points
for blackbody radiators.

 Temp-K	x'	y'	lambda(max)

  100	.735	.265	695
  300	.734	.266	684
  500	.721	.279	641.5
 1000	.625	.345	606.7
 1500	.586	.393	594.8
 2000	.526	.413	588.9
 2500	.477	.414	585.2
 2854	.4476	.4074	583.5
 3000	.437	.404	582.9
 3500	.405	.391	580.9
 4000	.380	.377	578.9
 4500	.361	.363	577.2
 4800	.351	.356	575.1
 5000	.345	.352	572.6
 5500	.332	.341	0
 6000	.322	.332	0
 6500	.313	.324	485.7
 7000	.306	.371	483.7
 8000	.295	.305	481.5
10000	.281	.288	479.4
24000	.253	.253	477.0
99999	.240	.234	475.7

---------------------------------------

3x3 multiply to convert XYZ (cie chromaticity) into RGB

(1) set X=x', Y=y', Z=(1-x'-y') and then

(2) compute

   |R|       | 1.73 -.48 -.26 |    |X|
   | |       |                |    | |
   |G|   =   | -.81 1.65 -.02 |  * |Y|
   | |       |                |    | |
   |B|       | 0.08 -.17 1.28 |    |Z|

where these RGB are those defined the the NTSC which standardizes
broadcast colors for North America television transmission (this is the
inverse matrix of the definition, rounded to three significant places).

    /Alan Paeth

childs@cadnetix.UUCP.UUCP (06/05/87)

In article <725@bsu-cs.UUCP>, dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>In article <1937@druhi.ATT.COM> neal@druhi.ATT.COM (Neal D. McBurnett) writes:
>>5) As I understand it, the color palatte of the IBM CGA standard is really
>>	limited to 8 colors with 2 intensities of each.

>This business of 8 colors, or 64 colors, or 4096 colors, is advertising hype.
>The rest is all a question of INTENSITY.
>Remember, THREE colors, and a large number (or 16, or 64, or 4096) of
>INTENSITIES.
>Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  {ihnp4,seismo}!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi

Just what I want Red, Green, Blue; dark Red, dark Green, dark Blue;
light Red, light Green, light Blue; etc...

Don't you really mean THREE colors, each at its own intensity?

The IBM gives you eight different colors, plus a darker or lighter version
of the eight, depending on how you look at it.

David Childs - Cadnetix Corp.  childs@cadnetix.UUCP

Disclaimer - I in no way speak for Cadnetix since Cadnetix machines have
only eight colors.  (All at the same intensity.  Except black.)