[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Summary of responses about Simultask

kevin@ncspm.UUCP (06/03/87)

Well, I guess that I have received all the information I am going to about
Simultask on the 6300+, so here is the summary of what I got.

First of all, I got more complaints about the 6300+ itself than I did about
Simultask.  These complaints can in two varieties: 1) 16-bit slots not AT
compatible, forcing the purchase of the AT&T Memory card, which is expensive.
2) Hard disks are hard to change, because of limited choices in the BIOS
ROM. [ I personally think there ought to be a way to work around this using
a software format program, with drivers for Simultask, Anyone know of such
a thing? ].

The overall feeling for the operating system itself was very possitive, it
runs "real" System 5.2 Unix, although not as fast as the mini at work, but
then I did not pay as much for the 6300+ as the office paid for the mini.

The biggest surprise for me was that people found the Simultask implementation
much cleaner than Microport, which surprised me since Simultask is Microport
with the DOS stuff added by Locus Computing.

Included are the responses I got.

From: ...!seismo!wlbr!wlbreng1!att6300!rich
        The UNIX  System  5.2  running  on  the  AT&T  6300+  is  called
        "Simultask".   The real name of that OS is "Merge/286". Merge is
        sold by Locus Computing  Inc.  of  Santa  Monica,  CA  and  AT&T
        resells  Merge  as Simultask. Merge/286 is a combination of UNIX
        System  5.2.0  and  MS-DOS  3.1.  Locus  develops   the   MS-DOS
        capability  under  UNIX  which  includes  the drivers which they
        place in the kernel. They in  turn  OEM  their  DOS  drivers  to
        Microport.  Microport sells their UNIX/DOS system under the name
        "TeamDos". Given this set of circumstances, where do you suppose
        Locus   gets   their   UNIX  system  from  ?  If  you're  saying
        "Microport?!" to yourself you're right.  They OEM their products
        to   each  other  and  they  each  sell  their  own  version  of
        (basically) the same system. The difference  is  that  Locus  is
        more concerned about quality. They are VERY MUCH more concerned.
        The quality of about everything  that  I've  seen  come  out  of
        Microport   is  roughly  70  %  of  production  quality  or  the
        equivalent of a first beta release.  So, I would  estimate  that
        Locus  cleans  up the bugs from their system before they turn it
        over to AT&T. I  wish  Locus  would  sell  their  UNIX  back  to
        Microport so that they could have a higher quality product!

        However, a flaw with Simultask is the same of Microport, i.e. it
        only  supports  small  and  large  model.  This may not be a big
        factor for you however.  I had a 6300+ for about a month  or  so
        on  loan  from  AT&T  to  pound the life out of. It held up damn
        well! I ported a grunge of  Sys5  code  to  it  to  see  if  the
        compiler   would   die.   I   usually   end   up  finding  "non-
        professionalisms" in the code (grrrrr...large model pointers; 16
        bit  integers...grumble).  As  I  said,  however, the quality of
        Simultask is a lot better. And the DOS option  is  really  neat!
        There is a program, I think it's called "lyrmgr" (layer manager)
        that gives you a menu to select either a DOS  shell  or  a  UNIX
        shell.  First,  you  select  DOS  (it gives you a C> prompt; the
        "virtual" DOS hard disk) and then you hit the  "sys  req"  (hot)
        key  and  it  redisplays  the lyrmgr menu. Now you select a UNIX
        shell (it gives you a $ and an indication at the bottom  of  the
        screen  that you are in a subshell). Now by hitting the hot key,
        you can toggle back and  forth  between  DOS  and  UNIX.  Pretty
        slick.  The  problems  that  I  discovered  were that the system
        didn't appreciate programs  that  didn't  do  BIOS  calls  (ill-
        behaved).  The  system  would hang, but by hitting ctrl-alt-del,
        the system would return you to UNIX.

        All in all, Simultask is a good system. This is because  it  was
        written  explicitly  for  the  6300+.  In fact, I'm running UNIX
        System 5.2.0 on my 6300 which I'm writing this correspondance on
        (that's  right, an 8086 machine).  The OS is called IN/ix and is
        produced by Interactive Systems Inc. of  Santa  Monica,  CA.  It
        also  was  written  explicitly for the 6300, therefore, it works
        really well. Have fun with micro-UNIX.

From: wmh@mtuxo.UUCP (w.hyland)

       AT&T has announced a new version of the PC6300 PLUS UNIX
       Operating System with Simul-Task known as Version 2.5. This
       new version contains numerous enhancements over the previous
       Version 2.0 system. For example,	Simul-Task will	now support
       MS-DOS 3.2 in addition to 3.1. MS-DOS applications running
       under Simul-Task	may now	make full use of the Intel Above
       Board and the AT&T Display Enhancement Board.  Enhancements
       to the UNIX system include improved performance through
       better memory management	techniques and expanded	swap space,
       kernel level support for	Starlan, and full support of
       Hayes-compatible	modems including the AT&T 4000 series
       modems. Version 2.5 has also improved the reliability of
       print spooling, floating	point emulation, file system
       backups,	named pipe communications between UNIX and MS-DOS
       tasks, clock performance, and bad track handling.

       The Version 2.5 software	maintains full compatibility with
       the existing Version 2.0	UNIX Software Development Set and
       with the	applications already developed to UNIX on the PC
       6300 PLUS. Moreover, software written to	UNIX on	the PC 6300
       PLUS will be binary compatible with AT&T's UNIX System V
       Release 3 Operating System being	developed for 80386-based
       workstations providing users with a smooth upgrade path and
       protection of software investments.

       Version 2.5 software upgrades are available to existing
       customers at a promotional price	of $99.	plus tax until July
       31st, 1987.  After this date, the full list price of $295
       will apply.  For	details	on this	promotion, please contact
       the PC6300 PLUS UNIX/Simul-Task Upgrade Coordinator at 1-
       800-432-6600.

From: ...!seismo.CSS.GOV!uunet!rosevax.Rosemount.COM!dave (Dave Marquardt)

I ran Simultask for a while, and the biggest problem with it was that it really
ate up the system.  I only had 1 megabyte of RAM installed, so that might
have something to do with it.

From: ...!seismo!stc-auts!kak (Kris Kugel)

There is an overhead penalty for using Simultask - the Norton Utilities
benchmark rates the cpu 8. runnining DOS only and 6. running DOS under
simultask.  This matches my perception of actual speed.  (numbers represent
multiples of old pc speed, so bare 6300 is 8 times as fast as pc)
The UNIX in general is dissappointing; it seems to be both slow, and
has some nasty marketing characteristics:
	* NO C compiler/lex/yacc/lint/ld etc.
	* NO nroff/troff/ditroff/man
	* no /src (well, I wasn't really expecting this one....)
	* 63 i/o buffer limit (we'll see the significance of this later...)
	Most of the software packages are fairly expensive (~$400)
	so you have to spend a considerable amount of money to get
	a reasonable system, and the documentation is split up the same
	way -- for example, the "find" manual pages is missing, and is
	in a manual you have to order separately (along with who knows
	what else).

The hardware itself, or at least the version I got, has a fairly slow hard
disk (read "standard for dos, slow for UNIX), and if you partition it
for 5 megs for dos (recommended), there is barely enough room for anything
(I bit the bullet and got the Programmer's Development package, and
without much other stuff on the system, I've only got 3 megs left)
and the disk access seems *slow*.  You can't really speed throughput
up much, because there is a 63 buffer limit.

some normal hardware improvements are expensive for the following reason:
the box is smaller than a normal AT, so some boards don't physicaly fit,
and the buss connectors are in different locations than on regular AT's.
the memory boards that AT&T sells are more expensive than the normally
available boards for the AT (~$500/2 meg board with 500k installed).

The DES board, which should allow you to improve the access to the
high-resolution graphics monitor, can't be accessed under UNIX in the
current release.  (at least the hotline claims it can't be)

Simultask/Dos incompatibilities:  utilities that color the screen
don't always work right.  the norton sa (screen attributes) utility
can't set the screen color, and you can't run FANSI-CONSOLE during
Simultask.  (unix vi has snow due to the way the system handles the vidio)

Good things:
	The machine seems like it was designed to be a very good
	machine to run DOS.  it has a nice keyboard, monitor, and
	floppy drive (writes 512 that can be read on pc's, AND 1.2meg)
	the Simultask allows you to access the UNIX filesystem while
	under DOS, and some other stuff like that.
	The hotline support that comes with the machine (one year)
	seems to be pretty good.

Notes: Supposedly, AT&T is comming out with a new release of the OS.
I would hope that it would fix the buffer problem and DES board problem,
as well as some DOS incompability problems.  I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND
calling AT&T and finding what the upgrade cost will be before buying the
release that I have - it may be worth your while to wait.

[ There is a new version of Simultask, see above ]

additional comment:  less my last comments be taken too negatively,
I really like having a REAL system V instead of some artificial unix.
I am mostly dissappointed because I bought the system early, had to
wait for everything, paid very high prices for everything, and
expect to have to spend a lot more money get the system to where
I want it.

having invested over $10k for the system
(with printer and modem and AT&T boards)
I was kinda expecting more....

perhaps with the "new, MUCH cheaper prices" and the new os the system
will have a lot better proformance/cost ratio for new buyers.

From: ...!seismo!sun!texsun!pollux!killer!aquinas!sean

	Simultask on the Plus is quite an interesting setup.  You can invoke
DOS to run as a background process under Unix, and switch back and forth be-
tween the two operating systems with the Msg Wndw key.  When you're in the
DOS window, the Plus behaves exactly like an MS-DOS machine; you can set up
and use config.sys, autoexec.bat, memory-resident programs, even install RAM
disks.  The only real problem is that it's a memory hog.  1 mb is barely
enough RAM to accomodate both Unix and DOS at the same time.  If you plan
to use any DOS applications that require more than 256k, you'll probably
want to add memory (another 512k or 1mb) for best results.  This leads to
my A-Number-1 gripe about the Plus....

	Adding RAM is very expensive.  The 16-bit expansion bus requires
that you use AT&T-proprietary 16-bit cards.  AT-style 16-bit cards are
*NOT* compatible.  The last time I checked, AT&T wanted $695 for the card
with 512k RAM.  I haven't really checked around that much, so I don't know
for sure if it can be had anywhere else any cheaper.  Another problem is
hard disk space.  Unix reserves part of the 20 meg for bad track handling,
which leaves you with about 18 mb useable disk space... then the operating
system files take another 7 mb or so; almost half the disk space is gone
before you install any applications of your own!  Replacing the 20 meg
with a bigger disk ain't easy, either.  Unix needs to find the Hard Disk
Parameters in the motherboard BIOS, and the motherboard BIOS only supports
5 hard-disk types larger than 20 mb (to be specific: CDC Wren [30 mb],
Tandon and Seagate ST4051 [40 mb], Micropolis 1325 [67 mb], and Miniscribe
6086 [80 mb]).  On the positive side, the HDU controller (WX2) will support
two hard disks.

	As I said earlier, Unix with Simultask is fantastic, but adding
the RAM and changing hard disks is a pain!  If I had lots of money I
wouldn't mind, but computers are more or less just a hobby for me, and
I can't justify spending so much on it.
Kevin D. Bond                 uucp:     ...!mcnc!ncsuvx!ncspm!kevin
Domain:	kevin@ncspm.ncsu.edu  internet: kevin%ncspm@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu

dan@prairie.UUCP (06/04/87)

   Very odd, all this talk about Microport and the 6300+.  I'll try to
make some sense of this, as best I can:

   My understanding is that Microport Unix and 6300+ Unix are both
descended from a single port of System V, called SV/286, which was
done by Interactive (I think).  In particular, limitations in the
compiler descend from that port.  SV/286 was written for the Intel
310.  Microport took it to the PC/AT and compatibles, while AT&T
independently ported it to the 6300+.

   The DOS/Merge software was written by Locus for the 6300+, and
is sold by AT&T for that machine.  DOS/Merge was then rewritten by
Locus for Microport Unix.  Apparently, the AT lacks some hardware
support for the Merge software which the 6300+ possesses.

   AT&T and Microport Unix are object code compatible.  AT&T has
updated and replaced several utilities, e.g. HoneyDanBer UUCP,
and may have tidied up other programs a bit more.  Microport has
had their hands full trying to support the AT compatibles, and has
concentrated more on the drivers.

   I want to stress that these two Unices are siblings.  The Unix
that runs on the 6300+ is NOT Microport Unix.

--
      Dan Frank (w9nk)
	ARPA: dan@db.wisc.edu			ATT: (608) 255-0002 (home)

rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (Robert Halloran) (06/05/87)

In article <463@prairie.UUCP> dan@prairie.UUCP (Daniel M. Frank) writes:
>   My understanding is that Microport Unix and 6300+ Unix are both
>descended from a single port of System V, called SV/286, which was
>done by Interactive (I think).  In particular, limitations in the
>compiler descend from that port.  SV/286 was written for the Intel
>310.  Microport took it to the PC/AT and compatibles, while AT&T
>independently ported it to the 6300+.

The port was done under subcontract from Intel to Digital Research.
The people involved later left DRI and formed Microport, which is why
they claim such familiarity with the SysV/286 base port.

					Bob Halloran, Consultant, ATT ISL
UUCP: rutgers!mtune!rkh				DDD: (201)251-7514 eve ET
Internet: rkh@mtune.ATT.COM
USPS: 19 Culver Ct, Old Bridge NJ 08857
Disclaimer: My opinions are my own.
Quote: "No matter where you go, there you are."  - Buckaroo Banzai