[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Is this poor Cust. Service from Softlogic?

hart@cp1.UUCP (06/03/87)

After alittle run in with Softlogic (the produce of DoubleDos) this
morning, I wondered if I had acted properly in canceling my order.
What was totally unacceptible to me must be to others, otherwise this
organization would rapidly cease to exist. The problem began about 6
weeks ago when I placed an order for several of their products. After
making numerous toll calls to determine the status of my order, I was
able to convince them to ask UPS for a trace. This morning I was told
that the package had been lost, but they would not reship until they
(Softlogic) received their money from UPS. I took this response as a
total refusal to satisfy my need as a customer and consumer until they
got compensation from THEIR agent (UPS). My response was to cancel the
order and ask for the return of my money ASAP. Would you believe they
had the guts to tell me that they would hold my money until UPS paid
off on THEIR claim. This is sort of like rubbing salt into the ememy's
open wound. Well, I really don't think I over reacted, but I wonder if
others would find this to be satisfactory service. I am really serious,
if this is how American Commerce treat a customer, we are in serious
trouble. MaySoftlogic is in a cash-flow pinch. Even so, poor cust-
omer service should be avoided. After all, even the best widget is
worthless if no one will buy it.

johnl@ima.UUCP (John R. Levine) (06/05/87)

In article <1641@cp1.BELL-ATL.COM> hart@cp1.BELL-ATL.COM (Rod Hart) writes:
>After a little run in with Softlogic (the produce of DoubleDos) this
>morning, I wondered if I had acted properly in canceling my order. ...
>After making numerous toll calls to determine the status of my order, I was
>able to convince them to ask UPS for a trace. This morning I was told
>that the package had been lost, but they would not reship until they
>(Softlogic) received their money from UPS. ...

That's not a very responsible way to run a business, if that's really what
they do. We ship thousands of packages UPS, and UPS does indeed lose a few
of them. But if we trace a package and UPS can't prove delivery within a
day or two of the trace, we ship out a replacement. It's hardly the
customer's fault that his package fell off a shipping dock somewhere, now
is it? Besides, it's been proven over and over that any money you may lose
to the rare customer who lies about a problem is made up a hundredfold by
the good will you get from customers who feel that their problems have been
dealt with quickly and fairly. (I don't claim that we solve every complaint
instantly; we foul up now and then, too, but we assume a customer problem
is real unless there's a strong reason to think that something is fishy.)
--
John R. Levine, Javelin Software Corp., Cambridge MA +1 617 494 1400
{ ihnp4 | decvax | cbosgd | harvard | yale }!ima!johnl, Levine@YALE.something

fff@dataio.Data-IO.COM (Fred Freeland) (06/05/87)

In article <1641@cp1.BELL-ATL.COM>, hart@cp1.BELL-ATL.COM (Rod Hart) writes:

> After alittle run in with Softlogic (the produce of DoubleDos) this
> morning, I wondered if I had acted properly in canceling my order.
Yes, you probably acted properly and I assure you that you are not the first to
become disgusted with customer service from Softlogic.

I bought DoubleDos at anEgghead Software store.  I was told that it worked fine
with all versions of DOS after 2.11.  The saleperson opened the package on the
premises and we confirmed by reading the documentation that this was true.
Imagine my surprise when I found that it wouldn't work with MS-DOS 3.2. Well,
I called them up to find out what was going on and I was told to send them my
original distribution disk and $5 and they would send me a version that would
work.  I told them that I would think about it for a while. The more I thought,
the madder I got.  Why should I have to pay more money for a product I bought
in good faith to run on a reasonably standard system.  I called them back and
told them that I was not going to pay their extra $5 since I had already paid
over $30 for it on the day I actually wanted and needed it.  Finally, about 3
weeks after that I got a version that worked with DOS 3.2.  That is that last
Softlogic product I will use.... Let's hear from some others out there who
have had similar experiences.

--
Frederick F. Freeland Jr.
FutureNet - DATA I/O                       "Of all the things I've lost, I

karld@chinet.UUCP (Karl Denninger) (06/06/87)

In article <1641@cp1.BELL-ATL.COM> hart@cp1.BELL-ATL.COM (Rod Hart) writes:

>After alittle run in with Softlogic (the produce of DoubleDos) this
>morning, I wondered if I had acted properly in canceling my order.
>What was totally unacceptible to me must be to others, otherwise this
>organization would rapidly cease to exist. The problem began about 6
>weeks ago when I placed an order for several of their products. After
>if this is how American Commerce treat a customer, we are in serious
>trouble. MaySoftlogic is in a cash-flow pinch. Even so, poor cust-
>omer service should be avoided. After all, even the best widget is
>worthless if no one will buy it.

This may be getting more towards the norm, and I don't like it one bit
either. We have had the same problem here a couple of times, recently with
a company in California (nameless for the time being, perhaps this particular
problem will yet be resolved). It's never been an acceptable way of doing
business for us here, and never will be -- and how the places that do this
kind of thing stay in business I simply do not understand.

What ever happened to "the customer is always right"? Within reason, this
*has* to be true, for places like ours cease to exist without customers.

Personally, I think you have taken a very reasonable step here -- you
had a problem, tried to resolve it, failed, and now are making it
known to others. This kind of mistreatment of customers can only cease
if economic pressure is brought to bear on those who practice it.

(Sorry 'bout this little flame, but after fighting with an (ex) vendor of ours
for a couple of weeks over just this kind of things the article hit a nerve).

--

Karl Denninger				UUCP : ...ihnp4!ddsw1!karl
Macro Computer Solutions		Dial : +1 (312) 566-8912 (300-2400)