[comp.sys.ibm.pc] CGA Card -> 'RF Modulator' -> Television

tron@slovax.UUCP (06/02/87)

	Question about the ibm "CGA COLOR GRAPHICS" card. I have a cga card
	and also have a mono graphics card.  The mono card will not run
	any of the 'cga required' software (ie games). Can I use a color
	Television as a cga monitor? If so, how do get the card to emulate
	an 'RF Modulator' signal so the TV will receive the signal?

	The card has a composite signal phono-jack in the back. Will the
	card as it exists produce a 'RF' signal with some jumper settings?

	Can a composite to RF signal translator be created through hardware
	means?

	Thanks in advance to anyone that will respond to my question.
--

David Barker     		trwrb ----\
RDA Logicon      		psivax ---|-!logico--\

evan@ndcheg.UUCP (06/04/87)

In article <448@slovax.UUCP>, tron@slovax.UUCP (David L. Barker) writes:

> 	Question about the ibm "CGA COLOR GRAPHICS" card. I have a cga card
> 	and also have a mono graphics card.  The mono card will not run
> 	any of the 'cga required' software (ie games). Can I use a color
> 	Television as a cga monitor? If so, how do get the card to emulate
> 	an 'RF Modulator' signal so the TV will receive the signal?

Go to your local Radio Shack and ask for a composite-RF modulator.  If
your lucky enough to find a smart salesperson, he'll sell you one
for about $25.  Plug one end into the composite-out jack of your
CGA card and plug the other end into the antenna (or cable) connection
of the TV.

  Evan Bauman
  University of Notre Dame
  ..!seismo!iuvax!ndmath!ndcheg!evan

nclee@sbcs.UUCP (Nai Chi Lee) (06/04/87)

> 	Question about the ibm "CGA COLOR GRAPHICS" card. I have a cga card
> 	and also have a mono graphics card.  The mono card will not run
> 	any of the 'cga required' software (ie games). Can I use a color
> 	Television as a cga monitor? If so, how do get the card to emulate
> 	an 'RF Modulator' signal so the TV will receive the signal?
> David Barker     		trwrb ----\

The CGA card cannot produce any RF signal usable by a TV.  You must use
a RF modulator to convert the composite signal (from RCA jack of CGA card)
into RF signal before feeding it into your TV (which is set to either
Channel 3 or 4).

Here are some of your solutions:

1. You can buy a stand-along RF modulator from Radio Shack for about $25,
   or you can get one of those match-box sized internal RF modulator for $5
   to $10 and solder it inside your PC.

2. If you have a VCR, you can use it to do the modulation by connecting
   the composite signal to the "video in" jack at the back of the VCR.

3. Forget about color TV, use a Princeton MAX-12E monochrome monitor which
   is capable of displaying CGA output signal in 16 grey levels.  You can
   manually switch the monitor input cable between mono card and CGA card.

4. Forget about color TV and CGA card, run SIMCGA which emulates CGA on a
   Hercules mono card.  However, only some well-behaved games will work.
   (e.g. Art Of War, Bushido, Alley Cat, Cross Fire, Big Top, Zaxxon, ...)

Please be advised: some mono programs cannot run properly when you have both
CGA and Hercules cards inserted.  Microsoft "Windows" is one of them.

CSNET: nclee@sbcs.csnet
ARPA: nclee%suny-sb.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
UUCP: {allegra, hocsd, philabs, ogcvax} !sbcs!nclee

"It is difficult to make something foolproof because fools are so ingenious."
[Anon]

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (06/08/87)

In article <135@ndcheg.UUCP> evan@ndcheg.UUCP writes:
>In article <448@slovax.UUCP>, tron@slovax.UUCP (David L. Barker) writes:
>>
>> 	Question about the ibm "CGA COLOR GRAPHICS" card. I have a cga card
>> 	and also have a mono graphics card.  The mono card will not run
>> 	any of the 'cga required' software (ie games). Can I use a color
>> 	Television as a cga monitor? If so, how do get the card to emulate
>> 	an 'RF Modulator' signal so the TV will receive the signal?
>
>Go to your local Radio Shack and ask for a composite-RF modulator.  If
>your lucky enough to find a smart salesperson, he'll sell you one
>for about $25.  Plug one end into the composite-out jack of your
>CGA card and plug the other end into the antenna (or cable) connection
>of the TV.

Before you do that, walk to the back wall of the Radio Shack. Find the spot
where they have the surplus "special purchase" stuff. Next to the C-64
keyboards should be some surplus TI 99/4A modulators @ $4.95 each. All you
need is an RCA plug and a 6(?) volt AC adaptor to convert it into a nice
general purpose RF modulator.

Full notes are included with the modulator and a converter cable can be
easily produced with a minimum of hardware ability.

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

	"If the nemesis in this movie can be a giant roll of aluminum foil,
	 then I can name our ship after a super absorbent paper towel."