[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Outcry for "dcp" on MS-DOS

ed@qtc.UUCP (06/05/87)

Has anyone implemented "dcp" on MS-DOS.  Does "dcp" work with uucp
to other unix hosts ? or do I have to have "dcp" on both ends ?

Others have sent messages to me interested in "dcp".

        |  Ed Lisle                             |   ogcvax!          |
        |  Quantitative Technology Corporation  |   verdix!  qtc!ed  |
        |  Beaverton, OR        (503) 626-3081  |  sequent!          |

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (06/09/87)

In article <290@qtc.UUCP> ed@qtc.UUCP (Ed Lisle) writes:
>Has anyone implemented "dcp" on MS-DOS.  Does "dcp" work with uucp
>to other unix hosts ? or do I have to have "dcp" on both ends ?
>
>Others have sent messages to me interested in "dcp".

The original posting of dcp ( a "uuclone" ) worked on MS-DOS. It also worked
for VMS and a DG machine (I can't remember which one).

I am just in the middle of a substantial reworking of parts of dcp to make
it:

	a) easier to port to other pc based systems
	b) more uucp functionality
	c) more mail functionality
	d) spool incoming news

Currently I have it running well on the Macintosh with a port to the Atari
ST almost complete. Amiga and a re-hosting to the IBM PC have been started
but the people doing them havn't really got up to speed yet.

The portablity issue is a big one but doesn't seem too hard to solve.
Currently the main "dcp" files which implement the uucp protocol, and the
"mail" files which implement a simple User Agent and Message Transfer Agent
contain no changes or conditionals for the Atari ST or Macintosh. It doesn't
appear necessary for PC-DOS or the Amiga either.

We have removed the host dependant code into totally separate files. This
means porting to other systems, and maintenance of the current code is
greatly simplified.

When I have anything worth posting I will send it to comp.sources.misc.
Early copies of the source are available only on an as is basis.

--
Stuart Lynne	ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision!van-bc!sl     Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532