[comp.sys.ibm.pc] DOS 3.30 and DRIVPARMS?????

egray@fthood.UUCP (05/26/87)

I'm having trouble getting DOS 3.30 to load the 3.5" floppy device driver
for my IBM clone (a Toshiba T1100+ w/ 2ea 3.5" drives).  The new block
device driver file DRIVER.SYS will only set EXTERNAL drives, not internal.
For example, if my CONFIG.SYS contained:

	DEVICE=DRIVER.SYS /D:0 /F:2
	DEVICE=DRIVER.SYS /D:1 /F:2

A reboot would setup devices D: and E: ....  NOT A: and B:

In 3.20 there was a DRIVPARMS directive that could be set in CONFIG.SYS
that would load the correct driver.  Running a DOS equivalent of the UNIX
strings command on the new version of IBMBIO.COM shows a string "DRIVPARM"
(note the loss of the "S").  Has the syntax of DRIVPARM(S) changed?

Anybody got any ideas?

Does anyone have a copy of the DOS 3.30 Technical Reference Manual?

Emmet P. Gray				US Army, HQ III Corps & Fort Hood
...!ihnp4!uiucuxc!fthood!egray		Attn: AFZF-DE-ENV
					Directorate of Engineering & Housing
					Environmental Management Office
					Fort Hood, TX 76544-5057

brown@nicmad.UUCP (06/08/87)

In article <7000002@fthood> egray@fthood.UUCP writes:
<
<I'm having trouble getting DOS 3.30 to load the 3.5" floppy device driver
<for my IBM clone (a Toshiba T1100+ w/ 2ea 3.5" drives).  The new block
<device driver file DRIVER.SYS will only set EXTERNAL drives, not internal.
<For example, if my CONFIG.SYS contained:
<
<	DEVICE=DRIVER.SYS /D:0 /F:2
<	DEVICE=DRIVER.SYS /D:1 /F:2
<
<A reboot would setup devices D: and E: ....  NOT A: and B:

We have the same units here and don't have any trouble with them.  The internal
BIOS knows about the drives and fully understands all 80 tracks.  We are
currently using MS-DOS 3.20 (Toshiba's version).

Have you tried using the 3.5" drives as is?  Format a floppy and see how many
tracks it says that it formats (MS-DOS 3.2).  If you don't have the latest
DOS, use CHKDSK on it, you should have 720K of available space.  If not,
it sounds like you need a new set of BIOS rom(s).
--
	 harvard-\     ihnp4--\
Mr. Video   seismo!uwvax.......!nicmad!brown

phillip@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Phillip Lindsay CATS) (06/09/87)

in article <1704@nicmad.UUCP>, brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) says:

> In article <7000002@fthood> egray@fthood.UUCP writes:
> <
> <I'm having trouble getting DOS 3.30 to load the 3.5" floppy device driver
> <for my IBM clone (a Toshiba T1100+ w/ 2ea 3.5" drives).  The new block
> <device driver file DRIVER.SYS will only set EXTERNAL drives, not internal.
> <For example, if my CONFIG.SYS contained:
> <
> <	DEVICE=DRIVER.SYS /D:0 /F:2
> <	DEVICE=DRIVER.SYS /D:1 /F:2
> <
> <A reboot would setup devices D: and E: ....  NOT A: and B:

I thought the driver took next "open" slot since MSDOS already sees two
drives out there.
Instead of "DEVICE" spec. in the config.sys file I do this under MSDOS3.2:

	DRIVPARM=/D:0 /F:2
	DRIVPARM=/D:1 /F:2

When MSDOS boots my unit 0 and 1 drives default to 720k (31/2) drives.
	Phillip (Flip) Lindsay - Commodore Business Machines
  UUCP: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!phillip      - Phone: (215) 431-9180
  No warranty is implied or otherwise given in the form of suggestion or
  example. Any opinions found here are of my making.