[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Is it my computer?

lopez@uiucdcsm.UUCP (06/07/87)

AT&T 6300 Computers.

Recently a problem arose concerning the true identification of an
AT&T 6300 Computer. The problem with these machines is that their
identification plates can be screwed off with a screw driver, and
according to the people I spoke to at AT&T there is no other way
to identify their machines.

Thus what is to keep someone from buying a newer machine, and then
taking the plate off and swapping it with an older machine, or better
yet, what is to keep someone from buying a new machine and swapping
the ID and returning the old one as defective. Please don't feed me
that honesty bit, for I have met sooooooo many liars in this world that I really
don't want to hear it.

If anyone knows of a way to verify that a computer that someone delivered
is indeed the one that corresponds to its identification plate, I would
appreciate it if you would send me e-mail and tell me how to.  Of course
you can take down every serial number found on the internals, but how
about after the fact. How can AT&T determine that a computer is indeed the
same one as the identification plate says it is.

If there is no way, I can see many ways an individual could get screwed
by bad service people. (I am not suggesting that anyone in this world
is dishonest, I am just very curious)

F. Lopez
AT&T Bell Laboratories

npollack@polyslo.UUCP (06/11/87)

In article <8000012@uiucdcsm> lopez@uiucdcsm.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>AT&T 6300 Computers.
>
>Recently a problem arose concerning the true identification of an
>AT&T 6300 Computer. The problem with these machines is that their
>identification plates can be screwed off with a screw driver....
>
>................... I can see many ways an individual could get screwed
>by bad service people. (I am not suggesting that anyone in this world
>is dishonest, I am just very curious)
>
>F. Lopez
>AT&T Bell Laboratories

Here at Calif State Univ.  we usually just spray paint a stenciled
identification on both top and bottom cover.  We also etch or mark
with permanent marker all of the internal boards and hard drives.
We have been told of trouble with unscrupulous types trying to switch
boards, keyboards, drives, etc. over the years.  The heavily obnoxious
Identification scheme that we use completely discourages most forms
of 'abuse' and dishonesty.   In 6 years, my facility has lost only
an apple II disk drive (we were sad that they only took the drive) and
one option board (apple).  This is with over 85 computers in the facility.

Other buildings and groups that do not like "ugly computers" and fail
to mark them for I.D., have consistantly lost upwards of $50,000 of equip.
each year during the same time frame.

Just in case anyone wants my 'advice',  MAKE THEM UGLY.
It really works!

Neal Pollack
Chief Engineer
Computer Science Department