[comp.sys.ibm.pc] IBM PC as a terminal

campbell@maynard.BSW.COM (Larry Campbell) (05/31/87)

In article <16906@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:

>Why would you want a PC instead of a terminal? Well, in addition to
>the fact that it can be cheaper (particularly if you want graphics)
>the IBM monitor makes really nice characters and the IBM keyboard
>feels VERY nice. I don't know how well the clones do in this area.

Bah.  The IBM keyboards are detestable.  They are much too noisy for
office or home ... perhaps they'd be suitable for a factory floor.
Their layout is atrocious.  And until recently they obnoxiously overloaded
the numeric keypad with function and cursor keys.  Everyone agrees that
NumLock is a total botch.

And the IBM monitor?  Gack.  Either you're talking about a CGA and IBM
color monitor, since you mention graphics, or you're talking about
the monochrome adapter.  The CGA is garbage -- you'd go blind looking
at it for eight hours a day.  The monochrome adapter does deliver nicely
formed characters at a reasonable resolution, but the IBM monochrome
green screen has such a long persistence that when the display scrolls,
it smears like Tammy Bakker's mascara.

Now, you could build a nice terminal out of an AT clone, with one of
the new keyboards with separate cursor keys and without the raucous
IBM clackety-clack, and either an EGA with a multisync monitor or a mono
adapter and any non-IBM amber display.  But you're sure not going to
build a decent terminal with IBM hardware.

My main terminal at work is an AT clone, with a new-style silent
keyboard, a Hercules knock-off mono card and an amber monitor.
I like it a lot.  I would never trade any of the components for
their IBM equivalents.
--
Larry Campbell                                The Boston Software Works, Inc.
Internet: campbell@maynard.BSW.COM          120 Fulton Street, Boston MA 02109

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (06/02/87)

As quoted from <931@maynard.BSW.COM> by campbell@maynard.BSW.COM (Larry Campbell):
+---------------
| In article <16906@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:
| >
| >Why would you want a PC instead of a terminal? Well, in addition to
| >the fact that it can be cheaper (particularly if you want graphics)
| >the IBM monitor makes really nice characters and the IBM keyboard
| >feels VERY nice. I don't know how well the clones do in this area.
|
| Bah.  The IBM keyboards are detestable.  They are much too noisy for
| office or home ... perhaps they'd be suitable for a factory floor.
| Their layout is atrocious.  And until recently they obnoxiously overloaded
| the numeric keypad with function and cursor keys.  Everyone agrees that
| NumLock is a total botch.
+---------------

Agreed.  The good news is that an ITT XTRA keyboard is PC and XT compatible,
and solves most of these.  (It still has the overloaded keypad, alas.  But
in compensation, it has an Enter key on the keypad.)

+---------------
| And the IBM monitor?  Gack.  Either you're talking about a CGA and IBM
| color monitor, since you mention graphics, or you're talking about
| the monochrome adapter.  The CGA is garbage -- you'd go blind looking
| at it for eight hours a day.  The monochrome adapter does deliver nicely
| formed characters at a reasonable resolution, but the IBM monochrome
| green screen has such a long persistence that when the display scrolls,
| it smears like Tammy Bakker's mascara.
+---------------

Don't talk to me about IBM graphics-type stuff; I can (barely) take a Herc
mono, I can't stand composite or RGB, even EGA style.  I have an AVT amber
monitor and an MDA (ITT version, sans printer port which is on the mother-
board instead), and it's very readable.  Best terminal I've ever had.  No
graphics, but I rarely use them anyway.  I have used various machines with
variouscards and monitors; EGA + IBM hires display = almost maybe halfway
legible, Sigma 400 is quite nice for a CGA/EGA (it fills in the characters,
you can't see the dots, it's more readable than any other CGA/EGA display I've
ever seen), CGA = NEVER!!!. Herc mono is sort-of; the clone versions I've seen
use the CGA character set, which is a lossage (and worse because it looked
like they were skipping scan lines to simulate the CGA character size in
pixels).  I would hope that a good model would use a readable character set
and use full resolution in text mode.

++Brando
--
Copyright (C) 1987 Brandon S. Allbery.  Redistribution permitted only if the
	redistributor permits further redistribution.

malc@tahoe.UUCP (Malcolm L. Carlock) (06/04/87)

--- Line eater food ---

In article <931@maynard.BSW.COM> campbell@maynard.UUCP (Larry Campbell) writes:

>Bah.  The IBM keyboards are detestable.  They are much too noisy for
>office or home ... perhaps they'd be suitable for a factory floor.
>Their layout is atrocious.  And until recently they obnoxiously overloaded
>the numeric keypad with function and cursor keys.  Everyone agrees that
>NumLock is a total botch.

Amen to that.  The original PC keyboards were horribly laid out (dinky return
key, teeny shift keys causing one to hit the ALT or '\' by mistake ... ACKPHT!)
Most of the clone keyboards were from the beginning (deliberately?) laid out
better than IBM's!

>And the IBM monitor?  Gack.  Either you're talking about a CGA and IBM
>color monitor, since you mention graphics, or you're talking about
>the monochrome adapter.  The CGA is garbage -- you'd go blind looking
>at it for eight hours a day.  The monochrome adapter does deliver nicely
>formed characters at a reasonable resolution, but the IBM monochrome
>green screen has such a long persistence that when the display scrolls,
>it smears like Tammy Bakker's mascara.

The IBM monitors are indeed trash.  Not only do they smear and have generally
poor resolution, but the the lower half of the screen flickers quite
conspicuously and annoyingly during scrolling.  This makes watching the thing
scroll a very unpleasant experience.

Admittedly, the serif'ed font that IBM uses on its monitors is a nice idea,
but who needs it?  Why should I go blind trying to read a monitor that can't
properly resolve those "nice" characters?  Even the better clone monitors
aren't as easy to read as most simple "dumb" terminal screens.  Unless monitors
become widely available that use considerably finer text resolution, forget
the fancy screen fonts.

GIVE ME A CLEAN, EASY-TO-READ FONT ON THE SCREEN.  I DON'T NEED MY TEXT TO BE
FANCY-LOOKING UNTIL IT GETS TO THE PRINTER!

> . . . you're sure not going to build a decent terminal with IBM hardware.

Indeed, this is true.

"I am the ghost of IBM monitors past and present!"
"Bah, humbug!  And furthermore, ACKPHT!!"

Thanks for following me this far.  Larry, thanks for bringing up the subject.

profoundly,          ll
-------------------- ll -----------------------------------------------------
m mmm mmm    aaaaa   ll   ccccc	      Plan: to follow the timesharer's motto:
mm   m   m  a     a  ll  c     c
m    m   m  a     a  ll  c  	         *********************************
m    m   m  a     a  ll  c  	         *  "Batches?!  We don' need no  *
m    m   m  a    aa  ll  c     c         *      stinking batches!!"      *
m    m   m   aaaaaa  ll   ccccc	         *********************************
malc@tahoe	U of N/Reno	Dis claimer, dat claimer, de other claimer...

lincoln@randvax.UUCP (06/07/87)

In article <2580@ncoast.UUCP> allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) writes:
>As quoted from <931@maynard.BSW.COM> by campbell@maynard.BSW.COM (Larry Campbell):
>+---------------
>| In article <16906@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:
>| >
>| >Why would you want a PC instead of a terminal?
> I would hope that a good model would use a readable character set
>and use full resolution in text mode.

Lots of PCs and clones are being used as terminals to larger systems. I am
interested in this workstation use and what it adds to the interaction with
a program that one does not have at a dumb terminal. Granted that there
are lots of possible configurations, and that some are orders of magnitude
more convenient in the hardware sense than others...

How does this configuration speed up your work?  Do you use PC editors or
word processors in place of a full screen editor on the mainframe?  Do you
bring other PC tools to bear on your work in this way?  Does this make it
easier to use other mainframe programs by suplimenting them with PC based
activities? What are the most important considerations?

   < ' .        Thanks in advance...  will summarize
   / >                           TOM LINCOLN
  '  `

smvorkoetter@watmum.UUCP (06/08/87)

In article <497@tahoe.UUCP> malc@tahoe.UUCP (Malcolm L. Carlock) writes:
>In article <931@maynard.BSW.COM> campbell@maynard.UUCP (Larry Campbell) writes:
>>at it for eight hours a day.  The monochrome adapter does deliver nicely
>>formed characters at a reasonable resolution, but the IBM monochrome
>>green screen has such a long persistence that when the display scrolls,
>>it smears like Tammy Bakker's mascara.
>
>The IBM monitors are indeed trash.  Not only do they smear and have generally
>poor resolution, but the the lower half of the screen flickers quite
>conspicuously and annoyingly during scrolling.  This makes watching the thing
>scroll a very unpleasant experience.
>
>Admittedly, the serif'ed font that IBM uses on its monitors is a nice idea,
>but who needs it?  Why should I go blind trying to read a monitor that can't
>properly resolve those "nice" characters?  Even the better clone monitors
>aren't as easy to read as most simple "dumb" terminal screens.  Unless monitors
>become widely available that use considerably finer text resolution, forget
>the fancy screen fonts.

You had better get your monochrome monitor fixed.  Every IBM Monochrome monitor
I've ever used at crystal clear needle sharp characters.  I have seen a few that
went out of adjustment and became fuzzy.

campbell@maynard.UUCP (06/12/87)

In article <1004@watmum.UUCP> smvorkoetter@watmum.UUCP (Stefan M. Vorkoetter) writes:

>You had better get your monochrome monitor fixed.  Every IBM Monochrome monitor
>I've ever used at crystal clear needle sharp characters.  I have seen a few that
>went out of adjustment and became fuzzy.

There seems to be some confusion about which IBM monitors have which
braindamaged characteristics.

The Monochrome monitor has OK resolution, but smears incredibly badly
when the text scrolls.  Also the screen isn't black, but more of a
washed-out pale grey, which makes for very poor contrast.  Chuck this one.

The Color monitor, on the other hand, has lousy resolution, but a much
blacker screen.  The screen is too shiny, though, and you can see yourself
in it.  Toss it.

The flicker problem is seen only on CGA-equipped systems.  It is the fault
of a severely brain damaged implementation of the video memory on the CGA
board.  Into the dustbin with it.

Thus, on the plain old PC, PCjr, XT, and AT systems, there is no way to
get a decent display with IBM hardware.  (The EGA and its display are almost
good enough, though...)

The good news is that the PS/2 systems have absolutely stunning graphics
quality.  The monitors are superb and the resolution of the VGA is
good enough for anything short of serious CAD or image processing work.
This alone is reason enough to chuck the old systems and switch to PS/2s.
--

smvorkoetter@watmum.UUCP (06/12/87)

In article <936@maynard.BSW.COM> campbell@maynard.UUCP (Larry Campbell) writes:

>Thus, on the plain old PC, PCjr, XT, and AT systems, there is no way to
                            ^^^^
>get a decent display with IBM hardware.  (The EGA and its display are almost
>good enough, though...)

The PCjr Monitor, (which is not the IBM Colour Display, but rather the IBM
PCjr Colour Display), has a matte surface, and has better contrast and less
fuzzy edges than the IBM PC Colour Display.  I have always considered it to
be the best of the IBM Displays. (It is also the least expensive)

ephram@violet.berkeley.edu.UUCP (06/13/87)

In article <434@clsib21.UUCP> scott@clsib21.UUCP (Scott P. Herzig) writes:

>IBM actually does have a very nice monitor/display adapter combination.
>It's just E X P E N S I V E!!!
>The Professional Graphics Display and Adapter is quite nice, nicer than
>the EGA.  It just takes lots of $$$ and about 2 slots.

The PGA does indeed have a better character set than the EGA however IBM
in it's infinite wisdom put the flicker back into the display.

Ephram Cohen

ephram@violet.berkeley.edu

len@elxsi.UUCP (06/15/87)

In article <434@clsib21.UUCP> scott@clsib21.UUCP (Scott P. Herzig) writes:

>IBM actually does have a very nice monitor/display adapter combination.
>It's just E X P E N S I V E!!!
  And getting cheaper all the time.  Currently one can buy PGA's with
  monitors (1024x768) in the under $2000.00 range, but not from IBM (:-).
>The Professional Graphics Display and Adapter is quite nice, nicer than
>the EGA.  It just takes lots of $$$ and about 2 slots.
  The newer products only use one slot.

  Direct mail to me if you want any recommendations.  I have played with
  a few different PGA combinations.

  Len

lowey@sask.UUCP (Kevin Lowey) (06/16/87)

Tom Lincoln Writes:

> Lots of PCs and clones are being used as terminals to larger systems. I am
> interested in this workstation use and what it adds to the interaction with
> a program that one does not have at a dumb terminal. Granted that there
> are lots of possible configurations, and that some are orders of magnitude
> more convenient in the hardware sense than others...
>
> How does this configuration speed up your work?  Do you use PC editors or
> word processors in place of a full screen editor on the mainframe?  Do you
> bring other PC tools to bear on your work in this way?  Does this make it
> easier to use other mainframe programs by suplimenting them with PC based
> activities? What are the most important considerations?

  I work in the User Support and Training group at the University of
  Saskatchewan.  We currently are using a variety of PCs as terminals
  on our VAX/VMS and VAX/ULTRIX mainframe systems.

  Personally, I think that using PCs is great!  My setup is as follows:

  Hardware:
    - Zenith 158 IBM-XT compatible computer
    - 10 MB hard disk
    - Two serial ports
    - One IBM graphics printer compatible printer
    - IBM-CGA compatible screen with Zenith RGBI monitor.
    - Hayes compatible 1200 baud modem

  Software:
    - KERMIT version 2.29B  (soon to be upgraded to the TEK version)
    - QKKERMIT tek4010 terminal emulator (written in Turbo Pascal)
    - Borland's Sidekick version 1.56A (with cut and paste functions)
    - Borland's Turbo Lightning (On the fly spelling checker)
    - PC-DOS version 3.2 (including the graphics.com program)
    - Micro-Emacs 3.8b
    - Turbo Pascal 3.01A

  This setup gives me the following capabilities:

  Terminal Emulation:
    - Tektronics 40xx graphics terminal emulation
    - VT102 Terminal emulation
    - The ability to log on to two computers at the same time through
      the two serial ports (although I must admit I haven't tried
      this yet)
    - Kermit supplies a multi-page rollback feature, similar to the
      old HP terminals, which means I can look at the last 100 lines
      of text which has scrolled off the top of the screen.

  File Transfer Capabilites:
    - Kermit allows full transfer of text and binary files
    - File transfers can be done both to and from the mainframe
      computer WITHOUT needing KERMIT on the other side, good for
      computer systems which don't have KERMIt
    - some programs, such as TeX, SAS, etc. can use the same
      device independent files on both the PC and the mainframe
      computer, so I can do local work on the PC, then upload it to the
      more powerful programs on the mainframe computer.

  Local Printing Capabilities:
    - The ability to take any screen image and dump it to my printer,
      both text AND graphics images.
    - The ability to have the printer "follow" everything I do.  For
      example, to print a file locally, I can download the file with
      Kermit then print it, or I can press CONTROL-PRTSC and then
      "type" the file on the mainframe, having it come out on the
      printer as it is typed.  I could also have it go to a file as
      well.
    - I can "grab" any portion from the screen using the
      Sidekick notepad, re-edit it any way I like, then print it from
      the notepad. - Version 2.29B of kermit supports the VT102
      printer control codes.

  Advanced local PC commands:
    - Kermit allows us to re-define the keyboard any way we want to.
    - The Sidekick editor allows us to grab things from the screen,
      edit this message, then paste this new message back into the
      editor (or whatever) on the mainframe computer.
    - The Turbo Lightning program can check, and CORRECT my spelling
      both when I am using Microcomputer programs, and when I am using
      mainframe programs.  It also supplies a thesaurus.  Since a lot
      of my work is documentation, this is very handy.

  Software Compatiblity:
    - many programs, such as micro-emacs, gnuplot (graphics program),
      and others in the public domain come with source code.  They can
      be compiled both on the micro and on the mainframe (as with the
      above mentioned packages).  Combine this with other programs
      such as CED, which gives VMS style command line editing, and we
      can have an environment which is very similar on both PCs and
      the mainframe.

  An example of how I work:

    I'm working through the day, logged onto the mainframe computer.
    I have to make phone calls, so I look up phone numbers in the
    Sidekick phone book.  My second port is connected to a modem, so I
    can get Sidekick to dial the phone in port two while I'm still
    logged into the direct line connected to port one.

    As I go through the day, I use the sidekick calendar to keep track
    of my time, so I can do my week-end report of projects I've been
    working on to my supervisor.  This can be popped up even while I'm
    using the terminal emulator.

    Some user's arrive with questions about using graphics.  I start
    the TEK terminal emulator, look at and solve the problem.  I also
    use the graphics terminal for making overheads for courses I
    teach.  I print the rough drafts on the local graphics printer,
    then do the final drafts on the mainframe laser printer.

    Everything I type is being checked for spelling.  I can correct
    spelling on the fly in mail, editing help files, using the VMS
    PHONE command or the unix TALK or WRITE commands, etc.

    During the day, I think of things I have to do.  I pop up the
    sidekick notepad, and jot the notes down.  I have my startup file
    on the PC automatically display the "to do" list whenever I boot
    the micro.

    During the day, I see a mail message which I want a hardcopy of.
    Instead of printing on the printer a few buildings over, I press
    SHIFT-PRTSC and I immediately have a printout available.

    Another user comes to me with a problem.  I type his error log
    file, which scrolls off the top of the screen.  No problem, I
    press the PGUP key to see the part that scrolled past.

    A user wants his files stored on an MS-DOS diskette so he can take
    it home to his computer.  I use kermit's file transfer
    capabilities to download the files for him from his mainframe
    account.

    While the mainframe computer is down for maintenance, I use micro-
    emacs to do some editing work, which I later transfer to the
    mainframe using KERMIT.  I could also be using Turbo Pascal to do
    programing work, then later transfer it to VAX pascal.  You can
    substitute your favorite languages.

    Finally, at the end of the day, I log onto the Ultrix system and
    read news.  Since I'm not adept at the editors available on
    Ultrix, (I'm a VMS hacker), I use the notepad in sidekick to grab
    a person's article, edit in my own comments locally, then use the
    "paste" option within sidekick to paste the results back into the
    news system.  This way, I get to use an editor I'm familiar with.
    In fact, I'm doing this now!

Prices (very rough Canadian non-university discounted dollars):

  Cheap IBM compatible               $3000.00
  Hayes compatible 1200 baud modem   $ 300.00
  Printer                            $1000.00

  Kermit                             free
  Tek4010 emulator                   free (soon a part of kermit I hear)
  Micro-Emacs                        free
  Turbo Lightning                    $ 150.00
  Sidekick                           $ 150.00
  Total                              $4600.00

  This is similar to a DEC-VT241 terminal (I think, I don't buy them)
  without a printer, and even if a printer was attached, it probably
  wouldn't do graphics.

  Conclusions:
    Personally, I find the PC indispensable (I couldn't spell that,
    but Lightning caught it).  The key is that it isn't just any
    particular terminal emulation program that makes the PC work.
    Instead, it is the complete system.  The main strength is that
    the person using the system can tailor a PC to fit specific needs,
    which is one thing you CANNOT do with a normal terminal.

    I happen to have a collection of programs (mainly Kermit, Sidekick
    and Lightning) which works very well together. Another person in
    the office, using a Vaxmate with Microsoft Windows, has similar
    capabilities using the Microsoft Windows interface, a vt240 (and
    VT220) emulator, and the notepad and appointment minder in Windows.
    In fact, he can do something I wish I could, have more than one
    vt220 terminal running at the same time, (using windows, DEC's
    vt220 emulator, and an Ethernet card).  Include the networking
    software for PCs that DEC is supplying, and even file transfer
    becomes transparent, but that's another story.

    How many people out there have a workstation which is
    VT100/tek40xx compatible, has locally definable keyboards, a cut
    and paste facility for text, long term (disk) memory for large
    files, screen roll-back, local graphics and text printer support,
    automatic telephone dialing, a colour screen, and a built in
    notepad, calendar, calculator, appointment minder, and spelling
    checker, all for less than $5000 Canadian?

    I'd gladly suffer with less pretty text if I can get all this in
    return. Besides, most of the new EGA compatible cards (or similar
    hi-res cards) are every bit as good in resolution as the IBM-MONO
    card.  Have you seen the AT&T colour monitor, or an IBM EGA monitor,
    or the Hercules cards, or ...

| Kevin Lowey                    |The above is the personal opinion of Kevin |
| University of Saskatchewan     |Lowey.  It does not reflect the position of|
| Computing Services             |the University of Saskatchewan in any way. |
| SaskTel: (306) 966-4826        |                                           |
| Bitnet:LOWEY@SASK. (preferred) |I am in no way affiliated with any of the  |
| UUCP:    ihnp4!sask!lowey.uucp |above mentioned companies other than U of S|