[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Partial differential equations

paul@aucs.UUCP (06/12/87)

I am posting this message on behalf of a professor in the math
department.  He is looking for a program which will graphically
solve partial differential equations for boundary value problems.
He wants to be able to vary a single variable and watch the
resulting curve changes.

I don't expect to be able to find a program for such a specific
application, but I said I'd ask.  Anyone with any information please
send it to:

Paul H. Steele      UUCP:      {seismo|watmath|utai|garfield}!dalcs!aucs!Paul
Acadia University   BITNET:    {Paul|phs}@Acadia
Wolfville, NS       Internet:  {Paul|phs}%Acadia.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
CANADA  B0P 1X0     PHONEnet:  (902) 542-2201x587

lincoln@randvax.UUCP (06/16/87)

In article <374@aucs.UUCP> paul@aucs.UUCP (Paul Steele) writes:

>I am posting this message on behalf of a professor in the math
>department.  He is looking for a program which will graphically
>solve partial differential equations for boundary value problems.
>He wants to be able to vary a single variable and watch the
>resulting curve changes.

I would consult IBM's

Academic Information Systems
472 Wheelers Farms Road
Milfors CT 06460

This division (or whatever) of IBM has stimulated an extaordinary diversity
of academic work over the past several years. At an ACIS meeting in July
of 85 I saw some graphics simulations running that traced out certain
conditions with boundry interactions. Strikes me that they were complicated
enough to be instructive, but not real enough to be practical. (What are
academic exercises for?

   < ' .        lincoln%iris@ran-unix.arpa
   / >
  '  `