[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Program Editors

peter@aucs.UUCP (06/16/87)

Thanx for all those who replied on my question about program editors.
In the end, I've decided to order BRIEF and pay for it myself, just
because it sounded so good (it did everything I wanted, and much more).
List is $195 (US), although discounts are available.  Tru PC-BRAND in
New York, (800) 722-7263.

Here's a "brief" summary of other suggestions.

Peter W. Steele     UUCP     : {seismo|watmath|utai|garfield}!dalcs!aucs!Peter
Acadia University   BITNET   : {Peter|pws}@Acadia
Wolfville, N.S.     Internet : {Peter|pws}%Acadia.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Canada  B0P 1X0     PHONEnet : (902) 542-2201x121

From dalcs!dalcsug!dalegass Thu Jun 11 03:30:43 1987

I think you should take a look at the Norton Editor if you can find
someone in your area who has it. If you find that lightning fast
editor helps in writing program [I do] you will like it. WordStar
is like watching paint peel compared with this editor. The price is
right to, $50 (US) [I think]. I haven't bought it yet since I'm still
waiting to see Epsilon and Brief in action [Highly touted].

VI sucks, some people swear by it though (?)
PE [WordPerfect Program editor] just plain sucks.

From: Michael Gleicher <dalcs!seismo!relay.cs.net!gleicher%duke>

Get MicroEmacs3.8. It isn't the real thing, but its more than good
enough. You could probably re-bind the keys to look like your favorite
editors, and the extension language is available as is the source. The
autoindent (C) mode is good, although not hyperactive like
high-voltage modes in Unipress of GNU.
Best of all the price is right: FREE

From izumi%amber.Berkeley.EDU@BERKELEY.EDU Mon Jun 15 21:30:22 1987

I recommend BRIEF v2.0 from Solution Systems by UnderWare :-)

It does all the things you mention, and true undo.

I've defined my own macros for using WordStar commands within BRIEF.
Most commands are straight forward to implement with macros, except for
Block move/copy.

At $140 -$150 with discounts, I don't know if this is inexpensive enough.
But, I really like it.

Version 2.0 does  rectangular block operations.
If you get this, and need WordStar macros, give me an e-mail.

From dalcs!utai!pyramid!pyramid.UUCP!mikel Mon Jun 15 21:30:40 1987

Back when I was programming the beast for a living (ah, the good old days :-),
we used Personal Editor by IBM.  The cost was *very* reasonable (~$60) and
the feature set was very rich.  It can take a file name on the command line,
can edit up to 10 files at once, can switch between files by a single
keystroke fast enough to use as a file comparator, has an extensive
"command language" that can be used to build commands and "attach" them
to keys.  It is not limited to memory size for the program being editted.
In three years of use at our company, we found one minor bug.
Unfortunately, Personal Editor shares one feature with VI, EMACS, WordStar, ...
it has its own incompatible, unfamiliar command format.

In summary, we had available many editors including WS, WordPerfect, etc.
All programming and much documentation was done with PE.  We liked it.
I still use it on my PC at home.
--
Mike Lipsie  {allegra,cmcl2,decwrl,hplabs,ut-sally,utzoo}!pyramid!mikel
Pyramid Technology Corp, Mountain View, CA  +1 415 965 7200 ext. 4980

From dalcs!seismo!rochester!steinmetz!davidsen Tue Jun 16 08:27:14 1987
In article <370@aucs.UUCP> you write:
>I hate to post a message like this (there's already enough talk about
>editors), but I'd like to have some info on good program editors for
>the PC (inexpensive or PD, we're broke here!). Some specific features
>I am looking for are:

How about MicroEMACS?
programmable. There is no pascal mode, but you can easily add one.
Key layout is totally programmable.
No [column blocks].
Yes - up to 40 macros, can call one another, plus a keyboard macro buffer
for one time editing.

From dalcs!seismo!mimsy.umd.edu!mimsy!velte Tue Jun 16 08:27:29 1987

epsilon, by lugaru software, does everything you want.  it is not
wordstart, but all the key strokes are user configurable.  it is written
in a C like language that allowes extensions.  it supports PROGRAMMING.
it will compile in one window while you continue to edit in others.
jack velte     university of MD, laboratory for parallel computation
domain:	velte@mimsy.umd.edu	path: seismo!mimsy!velte

From dalcs!seismo!iuvax!bobmon Tue Jun 16 08:27:10 1987

I have recently acquired (but haven't really tried out) a shareware editor
called NYEdit.  Its strong point appears to be it ability to use macro files
that define behavior such as indentation, etc.  in language specific ways.
The catch is that the BBS-posted version doesn't include the "macro compiler"
which you need if you write your own macros.  It does include some macros for
use with C, and and "incremental search" macro like the I-search of EMACS.
If you register, you get the macro compiler.