[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Any problems with Portable PCs going through Airport Scanners?

andrew@lithium.UUCP (06/01/87)

Hi,

Can anyone see any damage an airport scanner (the thing your bags go through)
might have on a portable computer (Toshiba/NEC style) ?

Thanks,

Andrew Smith

Andrew B Smith		|  UUCP:   andrew@kcl-cs.UUCP
Dept. of Computing,	|  JANET:  UDAC041@UK.AC.KCL.CC.VAXA
King's College London,	|  BITNET,
The Strand,		|  EARN:   UDAC041%VAXA.CC.KCL.AC.UK@UKACRL.BITNET
LONDON WC2R 2LS		|
United Kingdom		|  TPHONE: 01-836-5454 ext: 2239

leder@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Leder) (06/03/87)

In article <150@lithium.UUCP>, andrew@lithium.UUCP (Andrew B Smith) writes:

> Can anyone see any damage an airport scanner (the thing your bags go through)
> might have on a portable computer (Toshiba/NEC style) ?

I have a NEC which has been processed by x-ray machines without any
problems, but I always remove the diskettes and hand them to the attendant
instead of subjecting them to the fields of the motors or the ESD from the
belts.

Bob Leder

gdelong@cvbnet.UUCP (06/08/87)

In article <1156@ihlpm.ATT.COM>, leder@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Leder) writes:
> In article <150@lithium.UUCP>, andrew@lithium.UUCP (Andrew B Smith) writes:
> >

> > Can anyone see any damage an airport scanner
> > might have on a portable computer (Toshiba/NEC style) ?
> >
> I have a NEC which has been processed by x-ray machines without any
> problems, but I always remove the diskettes and hand them to the attendant
> instead of subjecting them to the fields of the motors or the ESD from the
> belts.

X-rays potentially can alter (erase) EPROM data, the magnetic field around
the x-ray machine can corrupt disk/tape data.

Request the attendant hand examine your system.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
. I fooled the poster
.

--
   _____
  /  \    /   Opinions??           Gary A. Delong, N1BIP
  \____\/     to have those.       (617) 275-1800 x5232

flowers@CS.UCLA.EDU (06/16/87)

>Can anyone see any damage an airport scanner (the thing your bags go through)
>might have on a portable computer (Toshiba/NEC style) ?

I didn't know the definitive answer on this, and I didn't want to find
out the hard way just when I was reliant on my Z181 laptop, so I've
always insisted that they check it by hand.  Last december they must
have been new enough that the airports didn't know about them, and
security just checked them visually.  More recently, airport security
(at least in LAX and Dulles) have asked that I turn it on, and they
watch until something (anything) shows up on the screen.  So if you
have them check it by hand, it would probably be a good idea to make
sure the batteries are charged.