[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Program Editor

peter@aucs.UUCP (06/10/87)

I hate to post a message like this (there's already enough talk about
editors), but I'd like to have some info on good program editors for
the PC (inexpensive or PD, we're broke here!). Some specific features
I am looking for are:

    -auto-indent variable tabs that checks the file extension for
     the amount of indent to use (I like 2 space indent for Pascal
     and dBase, 4 for C, and 8 (non-variable) for assembler). The
     latest version of WordStar 4.0 can do this but it is expensive
     and my employer won't spend that amount of money for just a
     program editor.

    -WordStar compatibility: I've been using WordStar and Turbo Pascal
     for a long time and prefer the WordStar command layout over any
     other editor I've used. This isn't an absolute requirement,
     just a wish-list item.

    -column blocks would be nice

    -good macro ability

    -take file name on the command line

These are just some of the things I'd like to see. I've tried out PC/VI
and don't like it. I've also tried out the WordPerfect program editor
PE and have nothing good to say about it (unlike WordPerfect which is
quite good). The reason I'm looking is that I've just started a new job
and my employer does not have anything suitable; for the previous five
years I've been using mostly WordStar for document/nondocument editing.
I'm doing a lot of C and dBase programming now and need something in
particular that would work well with these languages (especially dBase
since it has to load the editor while it stays resident).

Any suggestions would be VERY appreciated. Prices, addresses, etc.,
preferred.  Thanx.

Peter W. Steele     UUCP     : {seismo|watmath|utai|garfield}!dalcs!aucs!Peter
Acadia University   BITNET   : {Peter|pws}@Acadia
Wolfville, N.S.     Internet : {Peter|pws}%Acadia.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Canada  B0P 1X0     PHONEnet : (902) 542-2201x121

dleigh@hplabsz.UUCP (06/16/87)

In article <370@aucs.UUCP>, peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:
> editors), but I'd like to have some info on good program editors for
> the PC (inexpensive or PD, we're broke here!). Some specific features
> I am looking for are:

You need Epsilon.  It's awesome.  It is very Emacs-like, it runs fast
and smoothly, it will page to disk to allow you to edit huge files,
you can reprogram it (fairly straightforwardly) to do just about
anything you want and it's not too expensive. (~$150 I think, and well
worth it).

>     -auto-indent variable tabs that checks the file extension for
	yup!!

>     -WordStar compatibility: I've been using WordStar and Turbo Pascal
	not built it, but it can be done by re-mapping the keyboard commands

>     -column blocks would be nice
	I'm not sure what these are

>     -good macro ability
	excellent macro capability -- you can redo the whole editor

>     -take file name on the command line
	take several filenames on the command line (even wildcards)
	and edit them all at the same time (each in a different
	buffer, it's easy).

> Peter W. Steele     UUCP     : {seismo|watmath|utai|garfield}!dalcs!aucs!Peter

Epsilon is easy to use and I am immensely satisfied.  I've used it at
school and work and like it a lot.

The address is:

Lugaru Software Ltd.
5740 Darlington Rd.
Pittsburg, PA 15217
(412) 421-5911

-----------

Darren Leigh

tr@wind.UUCP (06/17/87)

$
[...]

I have a suggestion.  It may seem odd but bear it out.  You have used
Turbo Pascal so far.  Why not continue to use it for a program editor.
I used it for Pascal and dBase III program editing for a year and liked
it.  And since you are trying to cut costs, you have it already.  It
does not have all of the things you ask for but most of them.  It does
autoindent.  It is WordStar compatible.  In fact, it sounds like your
expectations are based on your experience.  (Isn't that the case with
life?)  It's not great but it's not bad.

It does not take a command line argument for a file name.  It does
not do columns, but few editors do (not that it's an excuse).

As for macros, you can program DOS to make macros and roll your
own.  You can use escape sequences which you send to the console.
Just put the escape sequences in a file and TYPE the file.  For
specifications on how to compose the escape sequences, consult a DOS
technical reference manual, a reference on ANSI terminals, or ask me.

Tom Reingold
INTERNET:       tr@bellcore.bellcore.com
UUCP: 		{seismo,ihnp4,ucbvax,decvax}!bellcore!tr
		{ulysses,allegra,clyde,princeton}!bellcore!tr