[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Experiences with Crosstalk

bobr@zeus.TEK.COM (Robert Reed) (06/08/87)

Has anyone had any experience with sending files using Crosstalk (sorry, I
don't know what version, but I bought it last December)?  I have a Compaq
386 and a Zoom internal 2400 baud modem.  This combination works fine for
capturing data, either plain text or using the xmodem protocol.  However,
when I try to send data, again either plain text (using the SEnd command) or
using the xmodem XX commmand, the system will generally hang somewhere in
the process (forcing a reboot of my PC).

I thought the problem might be with the configuration of the 2400 baud
modems on the host end, until I wrote a test on my PC.  It is a simple byte
pusher that does sense status on the com to keep the input port clear and to
handle ^S/^Q flagging.  My test program has no problem sending files at 2400
baud that seem to choke Crosstalk.  Anyone have any ideas?
--
Robert Reed, Tektronix CAE Systems Division, bobr@zeus.TEK

jons@islenet.UUCP (06/13/87)

In article <1808@zeus.TEK.COM> bobr@zeus.UUCP (Robert Reed) writes:
>Has anyone had any experience with sending files using Crosstalk (sorry, I
>don't know what version, but I bought it last December)?  I have a Compaq

You're going to love this. My experience with Crosstalk is: PROCOMM!

Get it.

Aloha,

Jonathan Spangler
{ihnp4,vortex,dual}!islenet!jons
	OR
jons@islenet.hawaii.edu
--

feg@clyde.UUCP (06/17/87)

In article <3314@islenet.UUCP>, jons@islenet.UUCP (Jonathan Spangler) writes:
> In article <1808@zeus.TEK.COM> bobr@zeus.UUCP (Robert Reed) writes:
> >Has anyone had any experience with sending files using Crosstalk (sorry, I
> >don't know what version, but I bought it last December)?  I have a Compaq
>
> You're going to love this. My experience with Crosstalk is: PROCOMM!
>
> Get it.
>
> Aloha,
>
> Jonathan Spangler
> {ihnp4,vortex,dual}!islenet!jons
> 	OR
> jons@islenet.hawaii.edu
> --
> Jonathan Spangler
> {ihnp4,vortex,dual}!islenet!jons
> 	OR
> jons@islenet.hawaii.edu

Procomm on a color crt is very pretty.  It has lots of bells and
whistles, the latter literally, but unless I have it improperly
configured, it is unable to recover from a timeout error while
receiving using xmodem.  After a timeout it hesitates several
seconds, then successively racks up transmission errors until
some internal count is reached and aborts.  Then it fails to
to tell the sender what it has done, so the sender spews your
screen with garbage.  Hitting cntl x enough times will finally
stop the sender if you are lucky.  QMODEM, in xmodem receive
always recovers from a timeout error.  After approximately
30 seconds, the sender will resend the block, and if
successfully received, the session will continue.  Procomm's
aborting in the 19th minute of a 20 minute transmission can
be frustrating.  Is there a solution to this, besides
sticking with Qmodem?

Forrest Gehrke

wanger@hpfcdq.HP.COM (Leonard Wanger) (06/18/87)

	Have you tried installing the new ROM update that Zoom Telephonics
	sent out? I have a Zoom 2400, and have had similar problems, most
	of which cleared up when I changed the ROM.

			Leonard Wanger