[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Keyboard problem

mic@lapis.berkeley.edu.UUCP (06/10/87)

The  's' key on my keyboard is almost dying (it need more attentive touching
than the rest of the keys in order to print).  Now I know that AT&T keyboards
are not worth a piece of -hit, but still, I wish to know how to repair
myself this little inconvinience (a technicien servicing would
cost more than the price of a new keyboard).  Please, I am dying to receive
help about this (before the s key dies altogether).
By the way, I own thee keyboard since summer 1985 and never took particular
care of it... Should I try to suck the dust from under the keys and how???
			Michel Bruneau

maxg@tekig4.TEK.COM (Max Guernsey) (06/19/87)

In article <3915@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> mic@lapis.berkeley.edu(Michel Bruneau) writes:
>The  's' key on my keyboard is almost dying (it need more attentive touching
>than the rest of the keys in order to print).  Now I know that AT&T keyboards
>are not worth a piece of -hit, but still, I wish to know how to repair
>myself this little inconvinience (a technicien servicing would
>cost more than the price of a new keyboard).  Please, I am dying to receive
>help about this (before the s key dies altogether).
>By the way, I own thee keyboard since summer 1985 and never took particular
>care of it... Should I try to suck the dust from under the keys and how???
>			Michel Bruneau

I have had the same problem with several of the the keys on my AT&T 6300.

	1.  Pop off the key cap.
	2.	The key contact is latched in by two plastic snaps.  So remove
		the key contact and you will probably see dust or hair or ... .
		Clean or vacuum the top and bottom of the contacts.
	3.	Replace.  And it should work without needing to pound the
		key 20 times just to get an 's'.

Max Guernsey
Lab Instruments
Tektronix