[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PC to PC transfer software

paul@m2c.UUCP (Paul B. Cohen) (06/17/87)

Does anyone have any experience with "Brooklyn Bridge", a pc to pc tranfer
program using the serial port? (Useful for laptops to normal pc's where the
disks are different sizes.)

Comments on that, or other recommendations of others would be appreciated.

Paul Cohen
cohen@m2c.org

randyg@iscuva.UUCP (06/20/87)

In article <303@m2c.UUCP> paul@m2c.UUCP (Paul B. Cohen) writes:

>Does anyone have any experience with "Brooklyn Bridge", a pc to pc tranfer
>program using the serial port? (Useful for laptops to normal pc's where the
>disks are different sizes.)
>
>Comments on that, or other recommendations of others would be appreciated.
>
>Paul Cohen
>cohen@m2c.org

Just set up Procomm on both the machines (downloadable from almost any bulletin
board in the civilized world (AND the Pacific Northwest), and set it for
direct connect in the host mode option. I transfer stuff between a NEC APC IV
and a ISC WPIII that way all the time.

Randy Gordon (Tao ku tse fun pee)

ward@chinet.UUCP (ward) (06/22/87)

I'm quite experienced with PC-PC communications.  I have an external
5.25" drive on my machine, AND Brooklyn Bridge, AND Lap Link.  BB is
from White Crane Systems, Suite 151, 6889 Peachtree Ind'l Blvd,
Norcross GA 30092 (404) 454-7911.  Lap link is from Travelling
Software, 19310 North Creek Parkway, Bothell WA 98011-8006. (206) 483-8088.
  OK: how do they differ?  BB is the one I've had the longest and like
the most - it allows one machine to becomae a disk controller to the other.
Thus you can run programs, do file compares, and "of course", copy files.
  Lap Link is a more "user friendly" piece of software, with a full-screen
menu, allowing "trivial" copies, or wild-card copies, or tag-and-copy, etc.
It is much more than that - allowing making directories, erasing files,
and more.
  Both run at the outstanding 115K baud that the serial ports of most
machines support (both my PC's, and my T1100+ work fine).
  LL has the advantage of being able to just be "run", while with BB you
have to have planned ahead: put 1 or more entries in your config.sys, AND
have the connection in place while booting (you can ^C out of it and con-
nect later if you want).
  Any question?  They sure beat the Procomm, Yam, etc techniques if you
are going to use them regularly - and you are going 115K baud, not just
19,200 or so.