[comp.sys.ibm.pc] VEGA Deluxe board and Xenix

dan@rna.UUCP (06/16/87)

	We just got a VEGA Deluxe (Video 7) EGA board and found that it does
not work with Xenix. Their "tech support" people say confirm this
incompatibility. Anybody have any further suggestions ?

	What irks me is that with the board come is glossy pamphlet proclaiming
how wonderfully compatible the board is with every piece of software:
"We believe in our board. So can you, because now compatibility is guaranteed."
"If, for any reason, it's not (compatible) - we'll make it compatible."
"Nothing beats the VEGA Deluxe for software campatibility except maybe our
	guarantee."

	They also tried to insinuate that Xenix doesn't work with any EGA
boards, which is distinctly untrue.

	In light of their unwillingness to support the VEGA Deluxe with Xenix,
I find this type of hype extremely misleading and also question how truly
compatible the board really is with other software as well.

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (06/16/87)

In article <632@rna.UUCP> dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) writes:
:
:	We just got a VEGA Deluxe (Video 7) EGA board and found that it does
:not work with Xenix. Their "tech support" people say confirm this
:incompatibility. Anybody have any further suggestions ?

send it back. you have the ad, it doesn't work. If you put it
on plastic you can notify the bank not to pay.

:
:	What irks me is that with the board come is glossy pamphlet proclaiming
:how wonderfully compatible the board is with every piece of software:
:"We believe in our board. So can you, because now compatibility is guaranteed."
:"If, for any reason, it's not (compatible) - we'll make it compatible."

save a notarized copy of that.

:"Nothing beats the VEGA Deluxe for software campatibility except maybe our
:	guarantee."
:
:	They also tried to insinuate that Xenix doesn't work with any EGA
:boards, which is distinctly untrue.

I'm posting on Xenix/EGA.

:
:	In light of their unwillingness to support the VEGA Deluxe with Xenix,
:I find this type of hype extremely misleading and also question how truly
:compatible the board really is with other software as well.

I have a NEC GB-1 home (I think Tseng labs eve480 is the same) and have
not had a problem with it yet. I bought the daughterboard with CGA and
Hercules support (lots of ICs and a Z80). This is *not* the fastest
board around in terms of screen update, but I save the update time back
by not fighting with it. Runs Xenix and V/AT just fine. For raw update
speed you might try Everex (I have one of those, too), but I haven't
tried it with UNIX yet.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)
  {chinet | philabs | sesimo}!steinmetz!crdos1!davidsen

sek@cernvax.UUCP (sek) (06/22/87)

In article <632@rna.UUCP> dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) writes:

>	We just got a VEGA Deluxe (Video 7) EGA board and found that it does
>not work with Xenix. Their "tech support" people say confirm this
>incompatibility. Anybody have any further suggestions ?

I have 2 IBM PC/ATs (true blue) with VEGA (Video 7) cards and running Xenix
version 2.00.
It works, ordinary text, colors and graphics.
I don't use any special driver, just '/dev/console' which is default,
and TERM=ansi.
So, as far as I can see, your Xenix/VEGA configuration *should* work.

Stig Kristensen)%