[net.music] Peppermint Lounge CLOSED

mjm@alice.UucP (Mel Melchner) (10/20/85)

Another rock club bites the dust.  What's a poor boy
who just wants to dance to new wave music to do.
I heard it on WFMU (the Upsala College radio station,
in East Orange NJ) during the week.  Last night I
went by the place and sure enough, the Peppermint Lounge
is officially closed.  That doesn't leave to many places
left in NYC  for "real" dancing.  What's the club scene
like in the rest of the country?  After I tried the Pep,
I went over to the Pyramid club in the East village;
not bad, except for the guys dancing on the bar.

BTW, for new music (and just about everything else)
in the Northern New Jersey listening area, try WFMU.
You'll hear things that you don't hear even on other
college radio stations in the NYC area.

jordan@lll-crg.ARpA (Jordan Hayes) (10/23/85)

In article <4461@alice.UUCP> mjm@alice.UucP (Mel Melchner) writes:
>Last night I went by the place and sure enough, the Peppermint Lounge
>is officially closed.  That doesn't leave to many places left in NYC
>for "real" dancing.  What's the club scene like in the rest of the
>country?  After I tried the Pep, I went over to the Pyramid club in the
>East village; not bad, except for the guys dancing on the bar.

Pyramid can get hairy at times. I guess there's always Danceteria,
if you don't mind the sweat... have you considered checking out the
8BC scene at all ...? not too much of a pep-a-like, but interesting
nonetheless. The pep was around when it all started. I'll miss it.

>BTW, for new music (and just about everything else) in the Northern New
>Jersey listening area, try WFMU.  You'll hear things that you don't
>hear even on other college radio stations in the NYC area.

So true. Too bad a lot of places in the NYC-area can't get it ... when
I'm in the Bronx I can only get it at night ... precisely the time when
I *don't* want to listen to the radio ... zip zip zip ...

/jordan

todd@scirtp.UUCP (Todd Jones) (10/26/85)

> In article <4461@alice.UUCP> mjm@alice.UucP (Mel Melchner) writes:
> >Last night I went by the place and sure enough, the Peppermint Lounge
> >is officially closed.  That doesn't leave to many places left in NYC
> >for "real" dancing.  What's the club scene like in the rest of the
> >country?  After I tried the Pep, I went over to the Pyramid club in the
> >East village; not bad, except for the guys dancing on the bar.

Is it mere coincidence that all the New York clubs that have closed
NEVER ONCE FEATURED A KATE BUSH PERFORMANCE? Anyone who can't see
this clear connection is probably too busy listening to bad music.