[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Which Word Processor in 1987?

tbg@apollo.uucp (Tom Gross) (06/24/87)

    Suppose you had an IBM PS/2 Model 50 on which you plan to
    do some graphics-related code development in C (probably
    Microsoft, if it can be obtained on 3.5" floppies).
    Suppose, also, that you have no special preference for
    any of the word processors or editors commonly used with
    MS/DOS, having no extensive experience with an IBM PC or
    clone.

    What word processor would you choose today for developing
    code on a mod 50?

    Are there any text editors yet that take advantage of the
    new displays?  How about one that knows about the IBM mouse
    on the PS/2?

    Does anyone remember the name of the MS/DOS editor which was
    a look-alike of the Atex editor, and is it still available?

    I realize that this could start a religious argument, but
    it's a serious request.

/tom

perkins@bnrmtv.UUCP (Henry Perkins) (06/24/87)

In article <35a635f3.d5c4@apollo.uucp>, tbg@apollo.uucp (Tom Gross) writes:
>     Suppose you had an IBM PS/2 Model 50 on which you plan to
>     do some graphics-related code development in C
>     Suppose, also, that you have no special preference for
>     any of the word processors or editors commonly used with
>     MS/DOS, having no extensive experience with an IBM PC or
>     clone.
>
>     What word processor would you choose today for developing
>     code on a mod 50?

To start off, I wouldn't use a "word processor" for developing
code on anything.  When developing code, I don't need multiple
fonts with WYSIWYG representation, even if Nicklaus Wirth likes
them.

If you've used EMACS, Epsilon from Lugaru Software would be a
good bet.  Epsilon has much of the power of EMACS, and is
designed to be easy for EMACS users to learn quickly.  As an
added plus if you're doing C coding, its programming language
is C-like instead of TECO.  Finally, it has a C mode, which
will do automatic indentation, parenthesis matching, and a
bunch of other things.  You get the source to all of the C
mode code, so you can make it work the way you like it to.

I've never heard anyone complain about Epsilon's performance
compared to other editors'.

If you haven't used EMACS, be advised that it's a very powerful
environment, and will let you screw yourself with just a few
keystrokes if you don't know what you're doing.
--
{hplabs,amdahl,3comvax}!bnrmtv!perkins        --Henry Perkins

It is better never to have been born.  But who among us has such luck?
One in a million, perhaps.

feg@clyde.UUCP (06/24/87)

In article <35a635f3.d5c4@apollo.uucp>, tbg@apollo.uucp (Tom Gross) writes:

>     What word processor would you choose today for developing
>     code on a mod 50?
>
>     Does anyone remember the name of the MS/DOS editor which was
>     a look-alike of the Atex editor, and is it still available?
>
>     I realize that this could start a religious argument, but
>     it's a serious request.
>
> /tom

Answering only one of your questions: the look-alike to
Atex I think is Xywrite.  At least I understand large
publishing outfits such as NY Times, Newsweek, etc.
use Atex and their reporters can send in copy done
on laptops using XyWrite word processor which can
be read directly by Atex. (The publishers of
XyWrite had a hand in the programming of Atex).
How XyWrite would work as a programming editor I
have never tried, however it can be programmed to
be virtually anything you want, so I wouldn't be
surprised to see that work.  It is the fastest
word processor I have ever worked with.

Forrest Gehrke