[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Incompatibilities Re: pkarc v3.5 and arc v5.20

tes@whuts.UUCP (STERKEL) (06/07/87)

In article <4431@iuvax.UUCP>, bobmon@iuvax.UUCP (Che' Flamingo) writes:
> [original had results showing about 40% compression, with the
pkarc running in about 1/6th of the time of arc.}

I posted a test of file compressions about 6 weeks ago that
similarly showed only 2-3% compression results spread and the
same 1/6th execution time advantage of pkarc. (my files were
about 1.2MB).  I am gratified that your results are so close.

HOWEVER, [soap box time], remember that pkarc in the Squashing mode
results in a compressed file that is INCOMPATIBLE with SEA's ARC
and every other ARC clone that I have access to.  I have posted to
comp.sources.misc two patch files that correct this problem with
no speed penalty, and less than 2% space penalty.  To beat the
drum again: use pkarc, but patch it to the standard mode.
--
  -----                    Terry Sterkel
-====----              AT&T Bell Laboratories

perry@omepd.UUCP (06/10/87)

In article <2129@whuts.UUCP> tes@whuts.UUCP (STERKEL) writes:

>HOWEVER, [soap box time], remember that pkarc in the Squashing mode
>results in a compressed file that is INCOMPATIBLE with SEA's ARC
>and every other ARC clone that I have access to.  I have posted to
>comp.sources.misc two patch files that correct this problem with
>no speed penalty, and less than 2% space penalty.  To beat the
>drum again: use pkarc, but patch it to the standard mode.

PKARC version 3.5 (the newest, fresh-from-the-press one) has a small
configuration file that it reads automatically when starting up.
A command in that file will make it SEA-ARC compatible. No need for
patches any more. A hooray for PKWare!

By the way, does anyone have information on a compression system called
*ZOO* (decompression program *LOOZ*)? OMEN tech. says that they are
changing to it, so I assume it must be considerably better than the
ol' ARChive format, but I have no hard info at all. Can anybody help?
  <<  Perry The Cynic >>		   =>> perry@inteloa.intel.com <<=
				      ...!tektronix!ogcvax!omepd!inteloa!perry
   (Peter Kiehtreiber)				...!verdix!omepd!inteloa!perry

jdia@osiris.UUCP (06/15/87)

In article <6242@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP>, davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
>  a) it runs portably in most systems, Xenix, MPort, Ultrix, SunOS3,
>     MS-DOS, etc. I think it runs in VMS.
> 	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

I have used arc on unix v5, 4.2, ultrix, ms-dos, and xenix. I'm pretty sure
that it is available for multiport, sunos3, and vms with just a little patchup.

					Josh / Spidey

--
A message from Spidey, and the Spidey Team.  ------>>>>     \_\ /_/  Yes, it's
__________________________________________________________   _[*]_   supposed to

w8sdz@brl-smoke.ARPA (Keith B. Petersen ) (06/21/87)

Why don't we chuck SEA's ARC and use PKARC exclusively?  If SEA is
unresponsive to adding an abvious improvement, why should we all suffer
from having to deal with larger ARCs just to stay compatible with it?
PKARC is five times faster and makes smaller ARCs.

This reminds me of the time many years ago when the UHF TV spectrum was
licensed to TV stations and everyone had VHF-only TV sets.  You wouldn't
think of buying a TV set without UHF!  It's time to move on.

By the way, ARC521 was recently released.  It's available from SIMTEL20
for those diehards who want to wait five times longer.  It does NOT have
squashing.
--
Keith Petersen
Arpa: W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA

ephram@violet.berkeley.edu (06/23/87)

In article <6005@brl-smoke.ARPA> w8sdz@brl.arpa (Keith B. Petersen (WSMR|towson) <w8sdz>) writes:
>Why don't we chuck SEA's ARC and use PKARC exclusively?  If SEA is
>unresponsive to adding an abvious improvement, why should we all suffer
>from having to deal with larger ARCs just to stay compatible with it?
>PKARC is five times faster and makes smaller ARCs.

Have you ever tried to check an archive with pkxarc (/t I believe) ? Have
you ever had to reboot your computer because the arc was munged and pkxarc
hung the whole machine?  Understand that I am not trying to defend
exclusion of an important feature from a product, I am requesting that
the bugs be worked out before everyone abandons the already working
model.  The new stuf is great, when it works.

[ text deleted]
>--
>Keith Petersen
>Arpa: W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA
>Uucp: {bellcore,decwrl,harvard,lll-crg,ucbvax,uw-beaver}!simtel20.arpa!w8sdz
>GEnie: W8SDZ

Ephram Cohen
ephram@violet.berktionminim

davidr@hplsla.HP.COM ( David M. Reed) (06/26/87)

In my opinion, it was wrong for PKX to create a file (by default)  with a .ARC
extension  that cannot be read by the  standard ARC program.  They should have
the  extension  .PKX unless the archive is created  compatible  with SEA's ARC
program (in which case a .ARC extension is acceptable).  (Likewise, ZOO should
put on a .ZOO  extension  to  their  archives.)  This is, as  pointed  out, an
important consideration (and the value of extensions), becuase one can usually
determine what a file is for, or how to use it, by that extension (.COM, .BAT,
.EXE, .BAS, .DOC, .C, .PAS, .ASC, .DRW, etc.).

And while the new  environment  variable can be considered  nice by many, I do
not care for becuase I find my environment getting full (and I already have it
defined,  under 3.1, as /E60).  With the growing length of PATH, and space for
a prompt that is  meaningful,  plus variables for my editor, for LESS, for LAN
software,  for the  compiler,  etc., I am close to a point  of  choice  making
(which ones can be sacrificed) that I do not want to have to deal with.

And I personally do not like the idea of self  unpacking  archives  (but it is
acceptable  for the archive  program to  self-extracting).  First, because the
extension  does not truly  convey  what the file is about,  and  secondly  the
access to that  file.  Whenever I send files to someone  (by their  request) I
have always put the files into an archive,  which is then  UUENCODED.  If they
do  not  have  ARC  to  extract  the  file,  then I  send  along  a  UUENCODED
self-extracting  ARC program.  I feel it is most valuable for EVERYONE to have
a copy of ARC for their  benefit (I consider it  invaluable,  and do all of my
backups to archive files for space considerations and group organization, etc.)