[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Mix C/Educational Discount

rose@uw-june.UUCP (Scott Rose) (06/24/87)

I just got a brochure in the mail for the Mix C compiler/linker/editor/
debugger/library.  Educational discount brings the price for the package
to an itty-bitty $36!  I suppose they are anxious not to be trashed by
Borland... Does anybody care to comment on the quality of this product?
Is MSC really ten times the value in any sense?

ralf@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Ralf Brown) (06/29/87)

In article <2735@uw-june.UUCP> rose@uw-june.UUCP (Scott Rose) writes:
>I just got a brochure in the mail for the Mix C compiler/linker/editor/
>debugger/library.  Educational discount brings the price for the package
>to an itty-bitty $36!  I suppose they are anxious not to be trashed by
>Borland... Does anybody care to comment on the quality of this product?
>Is MSC really ten times the value in any sense?

Well, let's whip out the August 1986 Dr. Dobbs, and look at the benchmarks:
	Microsoft C was anywhere from 1.5 (sieve) to 9 times *faster*
	in execution times than MIX C.

	Compile times ranged from slightly better than slightly worse
	than Microsoft C [which is not saying a lot for speed]

	"...the documentation is very good....Mix C is probably
	 a good choice for someone who wants to learn about C without
	 spending much money."

Hope this helps your decision.  I personally use and love Turbo C (700 pages
of documentation, several times as fast compiling as Microsoft C, and 10%
faster code--all for $61 (PC Connection, includes s&h)).

ARPA:  RALF@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU               USnail: Ralf Brown
AT&T:  (412) 268-3053 (school)                    Computer Science Department
                                                  Carnegie-Mellon University
DISCLAIMER?  Who ever said I claimed anything?    Pittsburgh, PA 15213
"I do not fear computers.  I fear the lack of them..." -- Isaac Asimov