[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MSC 5.0 / QuickC

mercury@ut-ngp.UUCP (06/21/87)

[]

In the July issue of BYTE the "What's New" column discusses (in
typically brief form) Microsoft's announcement of MSC 5.0, and QuickC.

In essence, you can buy QuickC for $99.00, more-or-less the same
thing as Borland's Turbo C but with a built-in debugger.  It is
apparently not an optimizing compiler.

QuickC is bundled with MSC 5.0, which still costs $450, and still
comes with CodeView.  The "New" MSC 5.0 is supposed to have a
better optimizing pass (roughly 30% decrease in code execution time)
and compile roughly 3 times faster.  Microsoft claims that the compiler
(MSC 5.0, not QuickC) generates "The best code of any compiler in the
PC market today."  The MSC and QuickC products come with an enhanced
library, which (now) includes a Graphics library -- never before
included in any Microsoft brand-name language product.

The short-short mentions "third quarter 1987" as the availability
date, but I haven't gotten anything in the mail (I'm a registered user
of MSC 4.0) and I suspect that they will have an update policy of some
sort.

(Aside)

It is worth pointing out here that both MSC 4.0 and MSC 5.0 (according
to various trade mags as well as the Microsoft Developer's Journal)
generate code which is compatible with OS/2 restrictions.  The restrictions,
among other things, require that there be no variable (data) stored in the
Code segment, no variable storage in the Code segment -- no more COM-file
like "finding the data segment" using the CS register ala Turbo Pascal
assembler routines, and not modifying the Segment registers.  COM files
will not be able to run in Protected Mode, only the Real Mode under OS/2.
Real Mode (Emulation Mode) does not allow multitasking or background
processing; all parallel execution is suspended while Real Mode
processing is in effect.

LEB
--

Larry Baker               Net/UUCP:  mercury@ut-ngp.{ARPA, UUCP, UTEXAS.EDU}
UT Austin                            seismo!ut-sally!ut-ngp!mercury

jnj@mibte.UUCP (06/29/87)

In article <5474@ut-ngp.UUCP>, mercury@ut-ngp.UUCP writes:
> []
>
> In the July issue of BYTE the "What's New" column discusses (in
> typically brief form) Microsoft's announcement of MSC 5.0, and QuickC.
>
> In essence, you can buy QuickC for $99.00, more-or-less the same
> thing as Borland's Turbo C but with a built-in debugger.  It is
> apparently not an optimizing compiler.

	But do you need to display that you used the MSC complier/linker
in ALL programs you develope?  Better read the fine print, then read
Borland's contract.

				Jim Jackson
				gamma!mibte!jnj

P.S.  No connection to either company, but I have both compilers.  I
	just don't like to pay $495 and then have to provide free
	advertising for them.