[comp.sys.ibm.pc] CONFIG.SYS

dpeter@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Peter J Diaz de Leon) (06/27/87)

I have created a config.sys file on my system, and one of the commands in it is
SET LISP%LIB=C:\UTIL

However when I issue the SET command at the C> prompt is shows me
LISPLIB=C:\UTIL

Where did the % go.

But if I issue SET LISP%LIB=C:\UTIL at the C> prompt it works fine.

I am running MSDOS 3.1 on a COMPAQ DESKPRO 286 two floppies and a 1.5MB
Ram Drive.

			thanks in advance
			peter

ARPA: dpeter@csd4.milw.wisc.edu
      peter@uwm-cs.milw.wisc.edu

brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) (06/29/87)

In article <2362@uwmcsd1.UUCP> dpeter@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Peter J Diaz de Leon) writes:
<I have created a config.sys file on my system, and one of the commands in it is
<SET LISP%LIB=C:\UTIL

SET commands are to be done within a .BAT file, in your case AUTOEXEC.BAT.
SET is not a CONFIG.SYS option.

<However when I issue the SET command at the C> prompt is shows me
<LISPLIB=C:\UTIL
<
<Where did the % go.
<
<But if I issue SET LISP%LIB=C:\UTIL at the C> prompt it works fine.

From within a .BAT file, use %% to get a single %.
--
	 harvard-\     ihnp4--\
Mr. Video   seismo!uwvax.......!nicmad!brown

mrk@gvgspd.UUCP (Michael R. Kesti) (06/29/87)

In article <2362@uwmcsd1.UUCP> dpeter@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Peter J Diaz de Leon) writes:
>I have created a config.sys file on my system, and one of the commands in it is
                  ^^^^^^^^^^
                            He later posted that he meant AUTOEXEC.BAT
>SET LISP%LIB=C:\UTIL
>
>However when I issue the SET command at the C> prompt is shows me
>LISPLIB=C:\UTIL
>
>Where did the % go.

Looks to me like the batch interpreter is trying to do string substitution
for the AUTOEXEC.BAT version (the % is normally used, along with a number,
to indicate such a substitution), while the command line version doesn't
even attempt substitution of any sort, thus allowing the % through.

Michael Kesti		Grass Valley Group, Inc.
P.O. Box 1114   	Grass Valley, CA  95945
UUCP:	...!tektronix!gvgpsa!gvgspd!mrk