[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Kermit and Procomm

vanzandt@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (12/15/86)

	Would someone please explain (in full detail) to me how to get
Procomm 2.4 to do Kermit transfers. I can get Xmodem to work fine, I can
get Kermit to Kermit to work fine, I just can't get Procomm to Kermit to
work...

	In a typical session, I want to upload to the Unix host, so I:

	1)at the unix end invoke kermit, set crlf off, and tell it:
		(sys-name) kermit>RE {filename}

	2)I switch back to Procomm by pressing PgUp,

	3)I select Kermit Protocol from the Pop-Up,

	4)I respond {filename} to the file name request,

	5)Procomm responds with another Pop-Up displaying info on
		the transfer:

		Kermit Protocol, Initializing exchange parameters, etc

		A noticeable lack of {filename} in the Pop-Up and
	a "packet resent" looping occurs. The transfer never occurs and
	must be manually aborted.

	What's going on?!?

        arpa		vanzandt@p.cs.uiuc.edu   vanzandt@uiuc.ARPA
        csnet		vanzandt@uiuc.csnet
        usenet		ihnp4!uiucdcs!vanzandt

crimmins@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (12/16/86)

/* Written  1:38 pm  Dec 15, 1986 by vanzandt@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu in uxc.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.ibm.pc */

>	Would someone please explain (in full detail) to me how to get
>Procomm 2.4 to do Kermit transfers. I can get Xmodem to work fine, I can
>get Kermit to Kermit to work fine, I just can't get Procomm to Kermit to
>work...

It seems that you do not have your parity set the same on both sides, or your
packet lengths are not the same.  On the Procomm side, I have usually selected
a packet lenght of 90.  My guess, however, is that the parity is set different
on the two programs.  Even if your host is set for no parity, your Kermit
might be looking for even parity.  Look at the status screen on Kermit to
verify that it is set the same as Procomm.  The parity on Procomm will
always correspond to what you are communicating at.

I have had no problems using Procomm to transfer vi Kermit to and from
uiucuxc.  If you need more help, contact me at the address below or call
our office at 244-0608.  Good Luck!

----
Dan Crimmins
Computing Services Office - Micro Consulting Dept.

ARPA:	crimmins@uiucuxc.cso.uiuc.edu
BITNET:	crimmins@uiucuxc.bitnet
CSNET:	crimmins@uiucuxc.csnet
UUCP:	{ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!crimmins

vanzandt@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (12/17/86)

	Mark and Dan both came up with the correct solution: Even though
one has the parity settings between the host and Procomm set properly, the
host version of Kermit may be expecting something different (usually Space).
So, if you have this same problem, try checking your Procomm/Kermit parity
settings...

	Thanks for the help,

	Lonnie.

+=============================================================================+

tes@whuts.UUCP (STERKEL) (12/17/86)

In article <75800005@uiucdcsp>, vanzandt@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

> 	Would someone please explain (in full detail) to me how to get
> Procomm 2.4 to do Kermit transfers. I can get Xmodem to work fine, I can
> get Kermit to Kermit to work fine, I just can't get Procomm to Kermit to
> work...
>         usenet		ihnp4!uiucdcs!vanzandt
I became a reluctant expert in kermit/ProComm last month.
This was my solution:

1.  Make certain that you are using ProComm 2.4.2
    (not 2.4)
2.  Make certain that your Kermit on the UNIX (tm) end
    is the latest (are you running UNIX (tm)?, if not
    replace UNIX with "other".
3.  If you are an AT&T employee, ctrmkrmt.c from the
    CTRM 1.10 package (free from your local product
    center) works excellently.

After much trial and error, this worked.  I really do not know
why, but suspect that the various versions of Kermit are not
*really* downward compatible.  The ProComm people stated that
there is no difference between 2.4.0 and 2.4.2 kermit processors;
I have test results that indicated differently.

best wishes,
--
    -----                   Terry Sterkel
  -====----            AT&T Bell Laboratories

berger@clio.Uiuc.ARPA (12/18/86)

The authors of ProComm have some different ideas about how serial
communications work.  Try using SPACE parity.  That's all I needed
to get Kermit running.

rmtodd@uokmax.UUCP (Richard Michael Todd) (12/18/86)

In article <75800005@uiucdcsp>, vanzandt@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

> 	Would someone please explain (in full detail) to me how to get
> Procomm 2.4 to do Kermit transfers. I can get Xmodem to work fine, I can
> get Kermit to Kermit to work fine, I just can't get Procomm to Kermit to
> work...

One thing that might be fouling things up is confusion on parity.  Make sure
that whatever you have the byte length, parity type, etc. set to is the
same as what the UNIX Kermit thinks it is.  Typing "show" at the Unix Kermit
system prompt should show what everything's set at.  Use the "set" command
to change anything Kermit seems to have set incorrectly.  Then go on with
"RECEIVE", etc. and everything should work.  I use Procomm regularly to
up/download to UNIX, no problems.  I use a setting of 8-bit bytes, no parity,
so Kermit doesn't have to bother with 8th-bit quoting. Hope this helps.
Richard Todd
USSnail:820 Annie Court,Norman OK 73069
UUCP: {allegra!cbosgd|ihnp4}!okstate!uokmax!rmtodd

crimmins@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (12/18/86)

/* Written  3:59 pm  Dec 17, 1986 by berger@clio.Uiuc.ARPA in uxc.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.ibm.pc */
>The authors of ProComm have some different ideas about how serial
>communications work.  Try using SPACE parity.  That's all I needed
>to get Kermit running.

I had no problem setting both Procomm and uxc for even parity.

----
Dan Crimmins
Computing Services Office - Micro Consulting Dept.

ARPA:	crimmins@uiucuxc.cso.uiuc.edu
BITNET:	crimmins@uiucuxc.bitnet
CSNET:	crimmins@uiucuxc.csnet
UUCP:	{ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!crimmins

vanzandt@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (12/19/86)

	On to the next question, now that this parity problem has been
resolved.

	How do I tell Unix Kermit that I want to transmit binary instead
of text? Also, how do I set a data length of 8 bits? Neither of these
parameters appear when I type "set"...

+=============================================================================+
|	Lonnie VanZandt University of Illinois	 Dept. of CS (217) 333-1925   |
|									      |

crimmins@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (12/20/86)

/* Written  1:21 pm  Dec 19, 1986 by vanzandt@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu in uxc.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.ibm.pc */
>	How do I tell Unix Kermit that I want to transmit binary instead
>of text? Also, how do I set a data length of 8 bits? Neither of these
>parameters appear when I type "set"...

The parameter stats are displayed on uxc by typing "show", not "set".  I
would assume it is the same on dcs.  Try "set file type binary" and
"set parity none", the latter of which causes kermit to treat the 8th bit
as data.

----

akk2@ur-tut.UUCP (Who is John Galt ?) (12/20/86)

In article <75800010@uiucdcsp> vanzandt@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>	How do I tell Unix Kermit that I want to transmit binary instead
>of text? Also, how do I set a data length of 8 bits? Neither of these
>parameters appear when I type "set"...
>|	Lonnie VanZandt University of Illinois	 Dept. of CS (217) 333-1925   |

 For binary files, I do a SET FILE TYPE BINARY. All this info is
on the man page for kermit. I'm surprised people don't read documentation
before running a program ;-)

hamilton@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (12/23/86)

while we're on the subject of procomm, kermit, and unix, i might
as well mention the one major failing i have found in procomm.

i use procomm to link my AT to my 4.2BSD vax.  i want to use kermit to
transfer text and binary files, and i want to use the terminal
emulation with vi.  the vax generates even parity, and i haven't found
a way to suppress that.  on the procomm side, i have a couple options:
set parity to even, or enable the translation table with all characters
over 128 mapped down.  with the first option, i either have to run
kermit in "even parity" mode all the time, with significant performance
penalty as well as some inconvenience, or constantly switch procomm
back and forth between even- and no- parity.  the second option works
fine for kermit and glass-tty applications, but fouls up terminal
emulation -- it seems escape-sequence recognition is done before
translation, and meta-ESC is not recognized as escape.

if anyone else has a solution i've missed, i'd like to hear it.

	wayne hamilton
	U of Il and US Army Corps of Engineers CERL
UUCP:	{ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!hamilton
ARPA:	hamilton%uiucuxc@a.cs.uiuc.edu	USMail:	Box 476, Urbana, IL 61801
CSNET:	hamilton%uiucuxc@uiuc.csnet	Phone:	(217)333-8703
CIS:    [73047,544]			PLink: w hamilton

wmf@chinet.UUCP (William M. Fischer) (12/24/86)

In article <75800010@uiucdcsp> vanzandt@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>	How do I tell Unix Kermit that I want to transmit binary instead
>of text? Also, how do I set a data length of 8 bits? Neither of these
>parameters appear when I type "set"...

From the interactive prompt on the host UNIX Kermit, type:

set file type binary

Data word length is keyed to the parity setting... setting parity to NONE
assumes an 8 bit word.

Hope this was helpful,
             |    Fortiter in re,       ||     Bill Fischer     |
             |       suaviter in modo.  ||  ...ihnp4!chinet!wmf |

crimmins@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu.UUCP (01/02/87)

/* Written  9:32 pm  Dec 28, 1986 by brandon@tdi2.UUCP in uxc.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.ibm.pc */
>Quoted from <174200009@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu> ["Re: Kermit and Procomm"], by crimmins@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu...
>+---------------
>| /* Written  1:38 pm  Dec 15, 1986 by vanzandt@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu in uxc.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.ibm.pc */
>| >
>| >	Would someone please explain (in full detail) to me how to get
>| >Procomm 2.4 to do Kermit transfers. I can get Xmodem to work fine, I can
>| >get Kermit to Kermit to work fine, I just can't get Procomm to Kermit to
>| >work...
>|
>| It seems that you do not have your parity set the same on both sides, or your
>| packet lengths are not the same.  On the Procomm side, I have usually selected
>+---------------
>
>                       The RECEIVE command doesn't want file names, and will
>complain if it gets them.
>
>++Brandon

That may be true on your system, but our version of Kermit (4.2 BSD, 8 Sep 86)
can take a filename as an optional parameter.  Lonnie did indeed confirm
that the parity settings were causing his problems.

----
Dan Crimmins
Computing Services Office - Micro Consulting Dept.

ARPA:	crimmins@uiucuxc.cso.uiuc.edu
BITNET:	crimmins@uiucuxc.bitnet
CSNET:	crimmins@uiucuxc.csnet
UUCP:	{ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!crimmins

msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Smith) (06/19/87)

I recently have been having trouble with my Procomm 2.4.2 and Kermit.
It transfers text fine, but it has trouble transmitting binaries.
When I receive a binary, such as an exe or arc file, it tacks on about
another 1/3 the number of bytes, and the file is messed up.  I have
not changed any of the kermit defaults.  Can anyone help?
mark

--
Mark Smith                        "I love summer!"
61 Tenafly Road

tj@utgpu.UUCP (06/25/87)

This is a real simple one... It is a bug in PROCOMM Kermit as far as I can
tell. You are running with no parity (otherwise the problem doesn't show
up from my experience) and so Procomm thinks that there is no need to
do anything with the 8th bit quote character and they get stored in the
file you receive. Debug it and you will see it littered with the quote
character around where an 8 bit value should have been. Now I admit that
when running with no parity it should be possible to send all values
without 8th bit quoting, but if 8th bit quoting is on then PROCOMM should
handle it. If I set Unix Kermit to no parity and receive a binary with
procomm at no parity it expands (and therefore fails) but if i set Unix kermit
to even parity and receive with procomm at even parity then the binary gets
transfered properly. From our local BBS I have to use Xmodem since it is
fixed at no parity and Kermit fails for binaries!!!

As an aside we have our own licensed version of Procomm and have been having
troubles getting through to them to get bugs fixed. We got a "special" bbs
number. It takes 3-8 hours of repeated dialing to get through.

medin@cod.UUCP (Ted Medin) (06/25/87)

In article <12809@topaz.rutgers.edu> msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Smith) writes:
>I recently have been having trouble with my Procomm 2.4.2 and Kermit.
>It transfers text fine, but it has trouble transmitting binaries.
>When I receive a binary, such as an exe or arc file, it tacks on about
>another 1/3 the number of bytes, and the file is messed up.  I have
>not changed any of the kermit defaults.  Can anyone help?

 Yes i have had the same problem. Eight bit quoting was my view of the
problem. The bbs said it was 8 bit no parity but sent the 8 bit quoting
anyway and procomm wasnt looking for the quote character so it just stuck
it in the file. The bbs was a fido and that was the real root of the problem
they should not have been quoting if they really had an 8 bit path.

smvorkoetter@watmum.UUCP (06/26/87)

]
] Yes i have had the same problem. Eight bit quoting was my view of the
]problem. The bbs said it was 8 bit no parity but sent the 8 bit quoting
]anyway and procomm wasnt looking for the quote character so it just stuck
]it in the file. The bbs was a fido and that was the real root of the problem
]they should not have been quoting if they really had an 8 bit path.

I don't think the BBS was the problem.  There is no rule anywhere in the
Kermit protocol that says you should not quote when an 8 bit path is available.
The only related rules are that you must quote when 8 bits are not available,
any you must quote when one Kermit requests it.

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (06/29/87)

As quoted from <739@cod.UUCP> by medin@cod.UUCP (Ted Medin):
+---------------
| In article <12809@topaz.rutgers.edu> msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Smith) writes:
| >I recently have been having trouble with my Procomm 2.4.2 and Kermit.
| >It transfers text fine, but it has trouble transmitting binaries.
| >When I receive a binary, such as an exe or arc file, it tacks on about
| >another 1/3 the number of bytes, and the file is messed up.  I have
| >not changed any of the kermit defaults.  Can anyone help?
|
|  Yes i have had the same problem. Eight bit quoting was my view of the
| problem. The bbs said it was 8 bit no parity but sent the 8 bit quoting
| anyway and procomm wasnt looking for the quote character so it just stuck
| it in the file. The bbs was a fido and that was the real root of the problem
+---------------

I would suggest checking your parameters.  I think my copy of Procomm defaulted
to file type = "TEXT", which causes ^J to become ^M^J -- an effective way to
destroy a binary file.  Make sure the file type is BINARY.  (I leave it at
BINARY always, and vary the setting on the UNIX side if that's what I'm
talking to, since it's a command line parameter (-i) on the UNIX end and a
series of menus on the Procomm end.)

++Brandon
--
     ---- Moderator for comp.sources.misc and comp.binaries.ibm.pc ----
Brandon S. Allbery	<BACKBONE>!cbosgd!ncoast!allbery

msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Smith) (06/30/87)

> From: smvorkoetter@watmum.UUCP
>
> I don't think the BBS was the problem.  There is no rule anywhere in the
> Kermit protocol that says you should not quote when an 8 bit path is available.
> The only related rules are that you must quote when 8 bits are not available,
> any you must quote when one Kermit requests it.

Hmmmm... It was a FIDO BBS.  OK, now that we know what the problem is,
how do we fix it?  Call Datastorm?

mark
--
Mark Smith       "Be careful when looking into the distance,
61 Tenafly Road       that you do not miss what is right under your nose."