[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Port IBM 5120 program to Microsoft BASIC. Possible??

keast@bucsb.bu.edu.UUCP (Kenneth East) (06/25/87)

A friend has about a dozen BASIC programs that he currently runs
on IBM 5120's.  He'd like to have them ported to his new PS/2's.
The dealer he got the PS/2's from says it's impossible (what's new).
I know (think) that the actual code can be transferred with little
effort, but I am concerned about compatibility between 5120 BASIC and
Microsoft BASIC.  I haven't had the (mis)fortune to work with either
version.  Can anyone give me any idea as to the amount of work
required to keep MS BASIC from puking on the 5120 stuff?

Any info will be greatly appreciated!

======================================+=================================
UUCP:  ..!harvard!bu-cs!bucsf!keast   | ARPANET: keast@bucsf.bu.edu
CSNET: keast%bucsf@bu-cs              | Kenneth East @ Boston University
======================================+=================================

ciaraldi@rochester.ARPA (Mike Ciaraldi) (06/30/87)

In article <1020@bucsb.bu.edu.UUCP> keast@bucsb.UUCP (Kenneth H. East) writes:
>A friend has about a dozen BASIC programs that he currently runs
>on IBM 5120's.  He'd like to have them ported to his new PS/2's.
>The dealer he got the PS/2's from says it's impossible (what's new).
>I know (think) that the actual code can be transferred with little
>effort, but I am concerned about compatibility between 5120 BASIC and
>Microsoft BASIC.  I haven't had the (mis)fortune to work with either
>version.  Can anyone give me any idea as to the amount of work
>required to keep MS BASIC from puking on the 5120 stuff?

I had to port a medium size (1000 line) 5100 BASIC program
to Microsoft BASIC on the IBM PC a year or so ago.
We wound up typing the source code in by hand, since we had
no convenient way to transfer it electronically.

Converting the dialects was not *TOO* bad, but was tedious.
Most statements were the same.
File handling was different, e.g. OPEN and CLOSE.
Also, formatted I/O (PRINT USING) was quite a bit different,
as I recall.
Variable names in the 5100 were very limited in size, so
I took the opportunity to change some of them.
And string handling was a little different.

All in all, not too bad.  You may find the book
_The BASIC Handbook_ by David Lien helpful.
It lists many dialects and has tips on converting between
them, but is not conveniently organized.

Mike Ciaraldi
uucp: seismo!rochester!ciaraldi
ARPA: ciaraldi@cs.rochester.edu