[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Are vibrations from an ST225 normal?

forumexp@rpimts.UUCP (06/30/87)

I installed a Seagate St225 20meg hard drive in my Zenith 148
XT clone a couple of weeks ago and have noticed that it emits
a constant vibration.  The vibration is strong enough to be
transmitted thoughout the case of the computer and can be felt
in the table top supporting the machine.  The vibration is not
especially noisy -- some noise, but more like the hum of a
refrigerator though not that loud.

I know the St225 is a fairly common drive for PC's.  I'd be
very grateful if others who own them would let me know if
theirs also vibrate.  I need to figure out if I should try
to return the drive for a new one.  Thanks.
                   Tim Stephen <Stephen@Rpicicge.Bitnet>

platt@emory.uucp (Dan Platt) (07/01/87)

In article <7442.152.forumexp@mts.rpi.edu> D.Stephen@T writes:
>I installed a Seagate St225 20meg hard drive in my...
>ago and have noticed that it emits
>a constant vibration.  The vibration is strong enough to be
>transmitted thoughout the case of the computer...
> -- some noise, but more like the hum of a
>refrigerator though not that loud.

I have a Seagate St225 20MB drive which sounds the same way.  I've often
worried about it, but it doesn't seem to get worse with time so I've quit
worrying about it.  It seems to me that this may be normal (produced by the
cooling fins or some such).  In any case, I find it re-assuring that others
find the same situation with their own St225's.

Dan

P.S. If anyone else has one, and has found it isn't supposed to do that,
I'd like to know so I don't blow my disk...