[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Logitech's Mouse with Plus Software !

yao-chun@puff.WISC.EDU (Yao-chung Lee) (06/25/87)

I believe there was a review on this product in
the PC Mag, could anyone please tell me the vol
and issue number.

Has anyone come into contact with it, how is the
feel, is it better than mouse systems or MS mouse?

Is the software that come with it good ?

Could I use the mouse with non-mouse applications
by programming it ?

Thanks in advance for any feedback !

Yao Chung Lee
University of Wisconsin, Madison

ARPA: yao-chun@puff.wisc.edu
UUCP: ...!{harvard,ihnp4,seismo,topaz}!uwvax!puff!yao-chun
BITNET: same as ARPA
ICBM: 70 82 51 N    88 23 12 W

spirn%bay@Sun.COM (Jeff Spirn) (06/27/87)

In article <822@puff.WISC.EDU> yao-chun@puff.WISC.EDU (Yao-chung Lee) writes:

>Has anyone come into contact with it, how is the
>feel, is it better than mouse systems or MS mouse?
>
>Is the software that come with it good ?
>
>Could I use the mouse with non-mouse applications
>by programming it ?

I have a Logitech Mouse (with Plus software)  and I like it a lot.  I have
used several mice (Macintosh, mouse systems, HP) and I don't have a real
preference as to feel.

The POINT editor it comes with is now my editor of choice.  It allows as
many windows as you like, in arbitrary orientations.  Each can be in a
different color, and there is a nice menu for color selection.  With EGA,
43 lines/screen is fully supported.  Up to 50 operations (configurable)
can be undone.

A driver program called CLICK allows you to automatically reconfigure your
mouse, and to load a new menu, according to application program name.
Various baud rates, protocols, and button counts (2 or 3 button mouse) can
be selected as necessary.

You can make most non-mouse programs operate with the mouse, though a program-
mable interface.  Menus can be defined, and mouse movements can move the
cursor around.  From the point of view of the application, you are just
issuing commands or cursor keys.  Cursor movement isn't as accurate as
an application which uses the mouse directly, however.

Documentation on how to do all of this is pretty good.

Generally, I recommend it highly.  The whole package is available around
here for under $80, which makes it a good deal compared with other mice.

brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) (06/27/87)

<
<Has anyone come into contact with it, how is the
<feel, is it better than mouse systems or MS mouse?
<
<Is the software that come with it good ?
<
<Could I use the mouse with non-mouse applications
<by programming it ?

We have a few of the Logitech mice here where I work.  Actually, I had been
ordering them.  I have only played with the Plus software a little bit.
There is even a piece in the Plus software to allow use of the mouse with 1-2-3.

But, the big advantage that the $99.00 mouse has (w/o Plus software) is that
they are now shipping a CMOS mouse that gets its power from the RS-232 port
and comes standard with a 9 pin D connector AND a 25 pin to 9 pin adapter.

I personally like the mouse.  Some people I work with like the Mouse System's
optical mouse.  But it isn't programmable.

The mouse is worth looking into.  They have a 30 day trial period.  If you
don't like the mouse, just send it back.  But, do get it with the Plus
software.
--
	 harvard-\     ihnp4--\
Mr. Video   seismo!uwvax.......!nicmad!brown

anderson@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (06/27/87)

In article <1731@nicmad.UUCP> brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) writes:
]In article <822@puff.WISC.EDU> yao-chun@puff.WISC.EDU (Yao-chung Lee) writes:

]<Has anyone come into contact with it, how is the
]<feel, is it better than mouse systems or MS mouse?

]<Is the software that come with it good ?

]<Could I use the mouse with non-mouse applications
]<by programming it ?

]I personally like the mouse.  Some people I work with like the Mouse System's
]optical mouse.  But it isn't programmable.

I don't know in quite what sense you mean programmable, Mike.  I have an
MS bus mouse at work and a Mouse Systems bus mouse at home. The Mouse
Systems rodent has a flexible pop-up menu language and an associated
compiler (included), plus a programming language interface to access
mouse system calls from IBM's BASIC interpreter, from assembler programs,
and from compiled languages like C, Pascal (and Turbo Pascal), COBOL,
Fortran, and BASIC.

From a "look and feel" point of view, the Mouse Systems device works
transparently in all contexts I've tried the same as the MS mouse (e.g.,
MS Word).  I find the optical mouse a good deal smoother to use, in
the mechanical sense.  A particular point for those with big hands
(me for one) is that the MS mouse is too small (narrow) for comfort.
The Mouse Systems critter fits much better between thumb and pinkie.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with any of the relevant commerical
interests.
==ARPA:===============anderson@vms.macc.wisc.edu===Jess Anderson======
| UUCP: {harvard,seismo,rutgers,  (avoid ihnp4!)   1210 W. Dayton    |
|   akgua,allegra,usbvax}!uwvax!uwwircs!anderson   Madison, WI 53706 |
==BITNET:======================anderson@wiscmacc===608/263-6988=======

brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) (06/29/87)

In article <1666@uwmacc.UUCP> anderson@uwwircs.UUCP (Jess Anderson) writes:
<In article <1731@nicmad.UUCP> brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) writes:
<
<I personally like the mouse.  Some people I work with like the Mouse System's
<optical mouse.  But it isn't programmable.
<
<I don't know in quite what sense you mean programmable, Mike.  I have an
<MS bus mouse at work and a Mouse Systems bus mouse at home. The Mouse
<Systems rodent has a flexible pop-up menu language and an associated
<compiler (included), plus a programming language interface to access
<mouse system calls from IBM's BASIC interpreter, from assembler programs,
<and from compiled languages like C, Pascal (and Turbo Pascal), COBOL,
<Fortran, and BASIC.

A Logitech Mouse is programmable in the sense that it can be told what baud
rate to use, report rate and type of mouse to look like.  There are 6
different protocols that it can be told to use (type of mouse to look like).
Because the MS mouse is two buttons, it can also be told to look like a
two button mouse, with the middle button acting like you pressed both of
the outside buttons, at the same time.
--
	 harvard-\     ihnp4--\
Mr. Video   seismo!uwvax.......!nicmad!brown
	 rutgers-/    decvax--/
		    terminus-/

braun@m10ux.UUCP (MHx7079 mh) (07/01/87)

I just came across a surplus AT+T PC7300 mouse, which is made by Logitech.
I am trying to figure out how to modify it to be a general-purpose serial mouse.
The cord has 5 wires: power, ground, shield, data input, and data output.
(These were deduced by examination of the circuitry).
When power is applied (5 volts), the output line emits a click
after a second or so, and is then silent.
Does anyone know what the data protocol and commands (and baud rate)
are for a Logitech serial mouse?
I assume that if I send it the right command byte(s) at the right baud rate
(and signal levels), it will come alive, and send a continous stream
of position data, and button events.

By the way, the inside contains the ball and position sensors, the switches,
a 28-pin DIP IC, a crystal, 2 transistors (the input and output drivers),
and a few resistors and caps.

Any references to magazine articles, etc., would also be handy.

Doug Braun		AT+T Bell Labs, Murray Hill, NJ
m10ux!braun		201 582-7039
--

apn@nonvon.UUCP (apn) (07/02/87)

in article <224@m10ux.UUCP>, braun@m10ux.UUCP (MHx7079 mh) says:

> I just came across a surplus AT+T PC7300 mouse, which is made by Logitech.
> I am trying to figure out how to modify it to be a general-purpose serial mouse.
.... deleted....

	easy..... call logitech and ask for a C7 mouse hardware tech manual
it's free and will tell you all about it.  the 28p part is a mot 68705
CPU..

--
UUCP: {ihnp4,ames,qantel,sun,seismo,amdahl,lll-crg,pyramid}!ptsfa!nonvon!apn

{* Only those who attempt the absurd   ...   will achieve the impossible   *}
{* I think... I think it's in my basement... Let me go upstairs and check. *}
{*                                                      -escher            *}

dragon@oliveb.UUCP (Give me a quarter or I'll touch you) (07/02/87)

In article <535@nonvon.UUCP>, apn@nonvon.UUCP (apn) writes:
> .... deleted....
>
> it's free and will tell you all about it.  the 28p part is a mot 68705
> CPU..

The older Logitech serial mice used the Motorola MC68705P3S, which is a CPU
(8 bit) with EPROM.  Seems later on Logitech went to a custom version of
this chip, rather than programming an EPROM for each mouse.

These chips have apparently gone through several revisions, too.

I've found a local surplus store seems to have hundreds of boards and cases
for Logitech mice, both serial and bus.  They also have cables.  Now if you
can find a ball, and for the serial, the CPU chip...

--
Dean Brunette                      {ucbvax,etc.}!hplabs!oliveb!olivej!dragon
Olivetti Advanced Technology Center     _____   _____   __|__   _____