[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PK ARC version 3.5 Help

mechgam@tness1.UUCP (6958) (06/30/87)

I just got a copy of the PK ARC program from comp.binaries.ibm.pc.  I
followed the instructions but cannot run the program on my pc.  First of
all, the instructions said that I should get the file "PKX35A35.COM" after
I uudecode it.  Instead, I got "PKX35A35.EXE".  I transfered this to my
PC using kermit, but I have not been able to make it run.  It just locks
up my PC.  I am running DOS 3.1.   Any suggestions or info?

Thanks

Gary
(713) 521-6958

todd@net1.ucsd.edu (Todd Goodman) (07/01/87)

In article <217@tness1.UUCP> mechgam@tness1.UUCP (6958) writes:
>I just got a copy of the PK ARC program from comp.binaries.ibm.pc.  I
>followed the instructions but cannot run the program on my pc.  First of
>all, the instructions said that I should get the file "PKX35A35.COM" after
>I uudecode it.  Instead, I got "PKX35A35.EXE".  I transfered this to my
>PC using kermit, but I have not been able to make it run.  It just locks
>up my PC.  I am running DOS 3.1.   Any suggestions or info?
>Gary

I had the same problem transfering the uudecoded program to my pc.  What I did
(and it worked) was to transfer the program before uudecoding them and then
uudecoding them on the pc with the pascal files also on comp.binaries.ibm.pc.
What I think the problem is that kermit should be transfering the uudecoded
program in binary mode.  However, I forget how to get kermit to do this.
Anyone know How?
				Todd Goodman
				todd@net1.ucsd.edu
				...!sdcsvax!todd@net1

jvc@mirror.UUCP (07/02/87)

>I uudecode it.  Instead, I got "PKX35A35.EXE".  I transfered this to my

This is correct.  PKX35A35 has a .exe extention instead of the .com
extention.

jvc@mirror.TMC.COM

rod@cpocd2.UUCP (Rod Rebello) (07/02/87)

In article <3394@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU> todd@net1.UUCP (Todd Goodman) writes:
>What I think the problem is that kermit should be transfering the uudecoded
>program in binary mode.  However, I forget how to get kermit to do this.
>Anyone know How?

At the kermit prompt enter "set file type binary".

keeshu@nikhefk.UUCP (Kees Huyser) (07/02/87)

In article <3394@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU> todd@net1.UUCP (Todd Goodman) writes:
>What I think the problem is that kermit should be transfering the uudecoded
>program in binary mode.  However, I forget how to get kermit to do this.
>Anyone know How?
>				Todd Goodman

Try to tell Kermit at the KERMIT> prompt :

		KERMIT>set file type binary
		KERMIT>set parity even

This should do the trick.

-- Kees

|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

guest@vu-vlsi.UUCP (visitors) (07/03/87)

In article <171@nikhefk.UUCP> keeshu@nikhefk.UUCP (Kees Huyser) writes:
>Try to tell Kermit at the KERMIT> prompt :
>
>		KERMIT>set file type binary
>		KERMIT>set parity even
                                  ^^^^
You adjust this to whatever parity you are using, although if you are
using a UN*X system, the may indeed be the case.

----
Mark "I just went through this the other day" Schaffer

| Mark Schaffer        | BITNET: 164485913@vuvaxcom                          |
| Villanova University | UUCP:   ...{ihnp4!psuvax1,burdvax,cbmvax,pyrnj,bpa} |
| (Go Wildcats!)       |           !vu-vlsi!excalibur!164485913              |

kuo@skatter.UUCP (Dr. Peter Kuo) (07/04/87)

In article <217@tness1.UUCP>, mechgam@tness1.UUCP (6958) writes:

> [... deleted] First of
> all, the instructions said that I should get the file "PKX35A35.COM" after
> I uudecode it.  Instead, I got "PKX35A35.EXE".

It should be .EXE, the .COM is a typo (I assume).

>I transfered this to my
> PC using kermit, but I have not been able to make it run.  It just locks
> up my PC.  I am running DOS 3.1.   Any suggestions or info?

Did you set FILE TYPE BINARY when you Kermit? I downloaded that copy
okay and works fine. If you still cann't get it, drop me a message and
I'll send you a new copy.

> Thanks
>
> Gary
> (713) 521-6958
Peter Kuo                   | Bitnet (VMS)  : KUO@SASK
Accelerator Laboratory      |
(a.k.a. The Beam Warehouse) | uucp   (Unix) : !alberta\
Univ. of Saskatchewan       |                 !ihnp4  -- !sask!skatter!kuo
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan     |                 !utcsri /
CANADA  S7N 0W0             |
(Earth)                     | Ma Bell       : (306) 966-6059

Disclaimer: I don't know what I am saying, so don't quote me on
	    anything! And I only speak for myself.

dons@killer.UUCP (Don Simoneaux) (07/04/87)

In article <3394@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU>, todd@net1.ucsd.edu (Todd Goodman) writes:
> In article <217@tness1.UUCP> mechgam@tness1.UUCP (6958) writes:
> >... Instead, I got "PKX35A35.EXE".  I transfered this to my
> >PC using kermit, but I have not been able to make it run.  It just locks
> >up my PC.  I am running DOS 3.1.   Any suggestions or info?
>
> I had the same problem transfering the uudecoded program to my pc.  What I did
> (and it worked) was to transfer the program before uudecoding them and then
> uudecoding them on the pc with the pascal files also on comp.binaries.ibm.pc.
> What I think the problem is that kermit should be transfering the uudecoded
> program in binary mode.  However, I forget how to get kermit to do this.
> Anyone know How?

Todd did not say what kind of system he is using to transfer to his pc.
On most systems running UNIX, the command to transfer a binary file with
kermit is

	kermit -si [filename]

The -si means send image (rather than send text).

By the way I transferred the pkarc files from comp.binaries to my pc last
night and they seem to run fine.  I used uudecode on the Unix Connection
in Dallas and then transferred the .exe file sing xmodem.  In the past I
have transferred uuencoded files to my pc and done the translation on the
pc.  I have C source and executables for uuencode and uudecode.  If anyone
is interested, let me know by e-mail.

--
	Don Simoneaux		Phone:  (214) 964-1859
	3605 Interlaken Dr.

kuo@skatter.UUCP (Dr. Peter Kuo) (07/06/87)

In article <3394@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU>, todd@net1.ucsd.edu (Todd Goodman) writes:

> I had the same problem transfering the uudecoded program to my pc.  What I did
> (and it worked) was to transfer the program before uudecoding them and then
> uudecoding them on the pc with the pascal files also on comp.binaries.ibm.pc.
> What I think the problem is that kermit should be transfering the uudecoded
> program in binary mode.  However, I forget how to get kermit to do this.
>                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Anyone know How?
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> 				Todd Goodman
> 				todd@net1.ucsd.edu
> 				...!sdcsvax!todd@net1

Todd, you simply tell the Kermit on your mainframe (mini, or whatever it is)
to send binary data by SET FILE TYPE BINARY and don't have to tell the Kermit
on the PC side anything (assuming you are using MS-Kermit from U of Columbia).
The PC end is smart enough to figure out if the incoming data is ASCII or
binary data. [Some other terminal emulators that support Kermit protocol I have
seen doesn't care about binary/ASCII either; of course, there could be
exceptions!]

I uudecoded PKXARC on our VAX (Ultrix 1.2) then Kermit'ed it to my PC without
any trouble.

... Peter/