[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Recomendations wanted on tape backup unit.

dalegass@dalcsug.UUCP (Dale Gass) (07/04/87)

Does anyone know of a tape backup unit for the IBM-PC that does not require
the installation of a card (i.e. possibly by using the parallel port)?  I
have a requirement to backup several PC's, and plugging and unplugging a
board is unacceptable.

Thanx,

dalegass@dalcsug.uucp

john@bby-bc.UUCP (john) (07/05/87)

In article <106@dalcsug.UUCP>, dalegass@dalcsug.UUCP (Dale Gass) writes:
> Does anyone know of a tape backup unit for the IBM-PC that does not require
> the installation of a card (i.e. possibly by using the parallel port)?  I
> have a requirement to backup several PC's, and plugging and unplugging a
> board is unacceptable.

You might try one of the qic-02 units around. They seem to be about
$100 or so more than other 60mb units but you can buy extra controller
cards for about $150 and just unplug the (external) drive from one
machine and carry it over to another machine which has it's own
interface card.

john

guardian@laidbak.UUCP (Harry Skelton) (07/06/87)

There is a tape unit that works off of the floppy controller.  I think I found
it in a issue of BYTE mag.  (thats where most of the hardware stuff is anyway).
You could also check the Computer Shopper mag for more info too.

Check with Maynard Electronics or call some OEM houses for some tech info
before you buy.

Harry Skelton
guardian@laidbak.UUCP