[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Hack binaries.

jware@ssc.afit.arpa (Jim Ware) (07/02/87)

Can someone send me part 6 and 7 of the hack binaries submitted in
comp.binaries.ibm.pc. Our version of these two parts had garbage in
them making them impossible to unarc. If this is not possible, can
someone let me know how to get a copy of hack?

Thanks,
Jim Ware
jware@afit-ab.arpa

knutson6@auscso.UUCP (John Knutson) (07/02/87)

In article <162@ssc.afit.arpa> jware@ssc.UUCP (Jim Ware) writes:
>Can someone send me part 6 and 7 of the hack binaries submitted in
>comp.binaries.ibm.pc. Our version of these two parts had garbage in
>them making them impossible to unarc. If this is not possible, can
>someone let me know how to get a copy of hack?

I also have had the same problem.  The munged uuencoded files also occured
in rite-hand-man.  Part 2 of that I believe.  Anyway, it would appear as tho
the uuencode that the comp.binaries.ibm.pc moderator is using could be
messed up.  Whenever I try to unARC files off of that newsgroup, my machine
locks up.
--
John Knutson   {ihnp4,allegra,ut-sally}!ut-ngp!auscso!knutson6
"Any given program, when running correctly, is obsolete."

mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow) (07/03/87)

Recent complaints about munged, uuencoded versions of hack and rite-hand
man.  I also found rhm munged, but was most disappointed when I also
found astrotit damaged.  My machine also suffered locked bowels on
attempts to un-arc.
--Mike Volow, Psychiatry, Durham Veterans Administration Medical Center
  Durham, NC, 27712             919 383 3568
  mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP

randy@chinet.UUCP (Randy Suess) (07/03/87)

In article <71@auscso.UUCP> knutson6@auscso.UUCP (John Knutson) writes:
>Anyway, it would appear as tho
>the uuencode that the comp.binaries.ibm.pc moderator is using could be
>messed up.  Whenever I try to unARC files off of that newsgroup, my machine
>locks up.

	Nope.  Everything I get off of comp.binaries.ibm.pc works just
fine.  I get my news feed directly from ihnp4, so Brandon posts
just fine.  I would suspect *your* machine.

--
that's the biz, sweetheart.....
Randy Suess

kbrown@irs1.UUCP (Ken Brown) (07/03/87)

In article <71@auscso.UUCP> knutson6@auscso.UUCP (John Knutson) writes:
>In article <162@ssc.afit.arpa> jware@ssc.UUCP (Jim Ware) writes:
>>Can someone send me part 6 and 7 of the hack binaries submitted in
>>comp.binaries.ibm.pc. Our version of these two parts had garbage in
>>them making them impossible to unarc. ...
>
>I also have had the same problem.  The munged uuencoded files also occured
>in rite-hand-man.  Part 2 of that I believe.  Anyway, it would appear as tho
>the uuencode that the comp.binaries.ibm.pc moderator is using could be
>messed up.  Whenever I try to unARC files off of that newsgroup, my machine
>locks up.

There is nothing wrong with the uuencode the moderator is using, I was able
to unencode and unARC the hack.arc file with no problems.

ken brown
kbrown@irs1

knutson6@auscso.UUCP (John Knutson) (07/04/87)

In article <1270@chinet.UUCP> randy@chinet.UUCP (Randy Suess) writes:
>just fine.  I would suspect *your* machine.

Why suspect my machine?  I'm not the only one with the problem.  I never
have problems with my PC, but the system (auscso) that I'm getting the
articles from has been having disk problems.  But that still doesn't account
for all the other people having the exact same problems.
--
John Knutson   {ihnp4,allegra,ut-sally}!ut-ngp!auscso!knutson6
"Any given program, when running correctly, is ouscURIc?rp

guest@vu-vlsi.UUCP (visitors) (07/04/87)

In article <72@auscso.UUCP> knutson6@auscso.UUCP (John Knutson) writes:
>In article <1270@chinet.UUCP> randy@chinet.UUCP (Randy Suess) writes:
>>just fine.  I would suspect *your* machine.
>
>Why suspect my machine?  I'm not the only one with the problem.  I never
>have problems with my PC, but the system (auscso) that I'm getting the
                    ^^^^^
I think Randy means the machine you had downloaded the uuencoded files
from, and not your PC.

>articles from has been having disk problems.  But that still doesn't account
>for all the other people having the exact same problems.

This is true.  This means that somewhere between ihnp4 and your machine
(and my machine, for that matter) is having a feast on the files.

| Mark Schaffer        | BITNET: 164485913@vuvaxcom                          |
| Villanova University | UUCP:   ...{ihnp4!psuvax1,burdvax,cbmvax,pyrnj,bpa} |
| (Go Wildcats!)       |           !vu-vlsi!excalibur!164485913              |

Please respond/reply to the above addresses and not guest@vu-vlsi.UUCP

werner@aecom.YU.EDU (Craig Werner) (07/04/87)

In article <3485@ecsvax.UUCP>, mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow) writes:

> man.  I also found rhm munged, but was most disappointed when I also
> found astrotit damaged.  My machine also suffered locked bowels on
> attempts to un-arc.
> --Mike Volow, Psychiatry, Durham Veterans Administration Medical Center

	Which is funny, as I got the latter to uudecode and unarc fine. Of
course, I did kermit it down to the PC in the uudecoded form before I
uudec'd it and arce'd it.

--
	   Craig "Baby Doc" Werner   (future MD/PhD, 3 years down, 4 to go)
	     werner@aecom.YU.EDU -- Albert Einstein College of Medicine

randy@chinet.UUCP (Randy Suess) (07/05/87)

In article <72@auscso.UUCP> knutson6@auscso.UUCP (John Knutson) writes:
>In article <1270@chinet.UUCP> randy@chinet.UUCP (Randy Suess) writes:
>>just fine.  I would suspect *your* machine.
>
>Why suspect my machine?  I'm not the only one with the problem.  I never
>have problems with my PC,

	Boy, I have 8 of the suckers.  I wish *I* could say the same thing..

	BTW, I meant the machine you get your news from, not your
home computer.

>	but the system (auscso) that I'm getting the
>articles from has been having disk problems.

	Hmm.  Possiblility there, I would think.

>John Knutson   {ihnp4,allegra,ut-sally}!ut-ngp!auscso!knutson6

	If your news feed is ihnp4!ut-ngp!auscso, I kinda think you
have it narrowed down....

	The point is, a majority of the world got the posting just fine,
so I have my doubts that Brandon is posting garbage code as you
implied.

--
that's the biz, sweetheart.....
Randy Suess

james@alberta.UUCP (James Borynec) (07/06/87)

 I too have had my hack binaries munged.  It is in the
third part.

This is the path it took.

and this is what the last few lines looked like.
(also the article had 751 lines, not the advertised 750)
M0KPE2'H&$(+1+.G(4\^G#VL$3+W$G'L,OJZZ>XPANO@#  "#^%(UFE\1,0"5
M@_P#!1]?(0, J!/@<D#)&6^<DL<0'_H-+BP <,\[BSA2=33A#(!,(,&0(4 B
MCM#BS]2V6/W"9(8_&X *Y# 5B#D?7 G-(/YDE@$)X#" @ F('#&? 5),I
MZ\

knutson6@auscso.UUCP (John Knutson) (07/06/87)

In article <1283@chinet.UUCP> randy@chinet.UUCP (Randy Suess) writes:
>In article <72@auscso.UUCP> knutson6@auscso.UUCP (John Knutson) writes:
>>I never have problems with my PC,
>	Boy, I have 8 of the suckers.  I wish *I* could say the same thing..
Hmmm.. mus' be IBM's..  :-)

>	If your news feed is ihnp4!ut-ngp!auscso, I kinda think you
>have it narrowed down....

kinda maybe.  Guess it's time to bug the administrators again, eh? But if
the problem is at ngp, it should be fixed soon.  I think they had a disk crash
during finals week last session, it may have been a different machine though.
But for now, could someone mail me some uuencoded binary arc'ed files, just for
testing?  Maybe our news is damaged (we had a few crashes, messing up a few
things).
--
John Knutson   {ihnp4,allegra,ut-sally}!ut-ngp!auscso!knutson6
"Any given program, when running correctly, is obsolete."

msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Smith) (07/06/87)

Enter yet another locked machine due to munged rhm.
mark
--
Mark Smith (alias Smitty) "Be careful when looking into the distance,
61 Tenafly Road            that you do not miss what is right under your nose."

karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) (07/07/87)

In article <71@auscso.UUCP>, knutson6@auscso.UUCP (John Knutson) writes:
> In article <162@ssc.afit.arpa> jware@ssc.UUCP (Jim Ware) writes:
(Various questions regarding the integrity of the uuencoded HACK files)

It pieced together and ran fine here, it's on both of our XTs and a handful
of AT systems by now.... Nice, I like the graphics and all....(especially
the 'are you sure' if you try to hit your dog or a shopkeeper)

--

Karl Denninger				UUCP : ...ihnp4!ddsw1!karl
Macro Computer Solutions		Dial : +1 (312) 566-8909 (300-1200)